Danica: Winner or whiner? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Danica: Winner or whiner?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Senna3xWC, Jul 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Couldn't believe it, she was coming into the pits she made Franchitti crash into the timing cone.

2. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam Whitener
    The end of her race was obviously her fault; however I wouldn't put Dario's destroying the cone on her. That was probably his own fault for expecting her to even realize he was there.

3. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Franchitti was trying to come into the pits as fast as the rules allowed. Apparently she slowed down well below the allowed speed.

Anyways, I'm glad TK won.

4. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Danica sure seems to have a lot of trouble in pit lane. Didn't she crash coming in to pit at Motegi earlier in the year and then collide with Kanaan while exiting her stall in another race?

Bottom line is that she has the best equipment and still can't get the job done. Too many mistakes and not enough guts!

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I'd make a comment about woman drivers and parking, but my flame suit is in the cleaners. ;)

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I thought she was going to cry over the radio when she spun and nearly hit the Safety Truck, she basically sounded like she was going to have a breakdown, no pun intended.

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Like it or not, she's in professional racing to stay and she's a marquis name which most series would kill for. Although she might win a race or two in IRL, she'll never be a champion or even considered to be an exemplary driver. The 2007 season should have been the salad days of her career - on one of the best teams in the series, very well-funded - yet she still isn't making much of an impression. It doesn't take an MIT grad to predict the light is flickering on her ability to get as good a ride as she has right now ever again.

8. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I think the problem is that she is rapidly becomging the Anna Kournikova of racing, sucking up all the media attention and sponsorship dollars that ought to be going to more deserving drivers. That she is more well known than other, far more accomplished race drivers is a disservice to the sport.

9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Let's get this out of the way . . . I'd do her.

Besides, didn't Jensen Button go over 100 races before his first win? I think my hero Mika Hakikinen went 80+ races before his first win.

Having said that, F-1 is an entirely different league--the skill set of F-1 is incredible.

Danica will win one--maybe a rain-shortened race where a flawed pit strategy will pay off; maybe a race where she backs into a win because the two leaders take themselves out in the final turn. I don't see her pulling a great pass with 5 laps to go and lengthening her lead to the wire.

10. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    LOL :D

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Mika won the British Formula 3 championship in addition to his carting championships.

Jenson won the Formula Ford championship in addition to his carting championships.

Danica hasn't won any championships other than carting championships at the age of 12 or so.

12. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Fixed that for you. :)

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice catch. :)

14. FerrariF1v12

FerrariF1v12 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2007
    Liberty City
    Full Name:
    Christian
  15. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You wish

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Alright, enough with the sexual jokes guys...;)

17. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am very sorry. It just slipped out.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    ZING!

my mind is in the gutter today...

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Shame on you, then.

Seriously, there may be quite a good point here - is she truly the Anna K. of racing? Like Paris H. is the Anna K. of hotel heiresses?

I think she actually can drive about low to midfield, but the spin media has created a monster of expectations that nobody could hope to meet.

In that sense, she probably has set back female driving by making herself a trivial PR stunt - or, more specifically, her PR people did.

I do not remember anybody saying these kind of things about Janet Guthrie, Lynn St. James, Sara Fisher, etc. etc. etc....

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

Kournikova was the highest paid woman in tennis despite never winning a title. I would guess that Danica is the highest paid driver in IRL (or one of the highest) yet she has never won a race since she was in karts.

I think she is definitely setting back women in racing because they focus on her looks and excuse her achievements. I don't think expectations are monsterous, as you claim. I think she is just expected to win once in a while. That is not too much to ask of a racing driver, is it?

Her presence in a seat with AGR makes a mockery of the sport. there must be dozens of drivers far mroe deserving of that ride.

21. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Quite true - I meant "monstrous" in the sense that the expectation to not only win once in a while, but actually contend as a champion is far and away above her skill level.

Like Anna playing Serena. Or Paris trying to act in A Midsummernights Dream. (the William Shakespear play, I mean).

22. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #122 yzee, Aug 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017