Danica Patrick leaving IRL ??? | FerrariChat

Danica Patrick leaving IRL ???

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bruceski3, Jul 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Waste of time.

She's mid-pack at best in IRL, and would fare worse in NASCAR

Anyone remember Shawna Robinson?

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Why not explore all options? Sounds smart to me.

4. mdaj

mdaj Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    KC,MO
    Full Name:
    Mark W.
    This sucks.

5. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Big deal, just another series where she won't win a race, just like Atlantics and IRL.

6. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    I would say that she has done better than mid-pack. I would stay away from nascar, that seems like a step down. Althought F1 to nascar is a free fall, but it happens

7. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles

Out of all the race series out there Cart/Indy are the worst off so how exacly would NASCAR be a step down? Fact is she wouldn't be any more competitive in NASCAR than she is in Indy. Right now being midpack in Indy (or CART for that matter) is nothing to brag about as the fields have been weakened beyond recognition.

8. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Absolutely.

If you are a hot commodity, you go where the $$$ is.

9. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Well she is 12 in points for this season, and rookie of the year honors last year, I would say makes her a little better than average. As for NASCAR being a step down I would say its more of a personal preference. Less speed, power, more rubbing is racing type of stuff.

10. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Think about this. NASCAR next year will have - a Columbian F1 driver, (if) a women with more skill than any who tried before, Japanese cars, and will run the new Cup cars at about 10 events. All these changes seem to run against the grain that is NASCAR. Risky?

11. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    And Boris Said full time, sound like fun to me.

12. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    +1

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

she could become the anna kournakova of racing...highest paid non - winner on the grid!

and what's this ***** ...trying to make this rumor eclipse jpm's announcement.

what a joke.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +2

Prestige doesn't build wealth. Money does.

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    She is just looking for a car of a color that matches her handbag...

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is funny william, whatever happened to Sarah Fisher, she was a pretty decent IRL driver?

17. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    She's had mediocre results while weighing approximately 50-70lb less than her competitors in a series where that is a serious advantage. One that constantly gets overlooked (in the media) mind you.

Pretty long odds to say she'd do better in any other series really. In something like karting she could ballast over 20% of the minimum weight (usually around 355lbs). She might not be strong enough though.

That said, NASCAR is the place to be now. Besides the $$$ and potential sponsorship/endorsement deals, the drivers actually seem to have fun both inside and outside the cockpit.

18. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    You know...

An interesting move would be to have her in an F1 seat sitting next to Scott Speed.

I bet she would be better (at least better looking) than some of the idiots currently and constantly on the last row. A pit babe and driver all rapped into one!

It sure would put F1 on the map with the US media.

Signed,

HA!

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is a great idea!!

20. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    12th in points in a pointless Indy racing league. This isn't an Indy series with Al Unser Jr or AJ Foyt. Right now CART and Indy are on life support hence the talk of combining again.

Sarah Fischer isn't doign much. She ended up in NASCAR west trying to make a go of it. I think she's had a few rides in NASCAR trucks. She's not competitive and from what I understand skipped a few steps in her development which are now proving detrimental to her maturing as a good driver.

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I almost regret my previous post...
    Yeah, whatever happened to Sarah Fisher?

Trouble with women drivers is that they never get taken seriously. They are 'exploited' for their glamour, or used to get sponsorship money. The media has a field day building up expectations, focussing on them and analyse every move. Most of them are never given the space to develop and show their skills.

If Danica Patrick ,who finished regularly half-way in the results and got 12pts at the end of the season (I just read that in a previous post), is not considered very good, what about the rest of the field then? Suppose they are safe from sarcasms: they are men...

22. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    She is a better than average driver, its her car that is mediocre. She is 3 spots ahead of her teammate Buddy Rice (former Toyota Atlantic champ and Indy 500 winner).

With regards to weight, I disagree that its a 'serious advantage'. If weight were such a big advantage, you'd see drivers that looked like jockeys and teams actively searching for small, light people. Its a lot easier to find and develop a skinny guy/gal than it is to engineer a faster car, so why aren't more teams going this route? Sure it helps, but its part of a total package and not a replacement for skill.

23. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Don't forget a Canadian also. (Paul Tracy)

24. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    as far as skills are concerned who would you say Danica's male counterpart would be in IRL?

25. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Micky Mouse?