Cyclists are the bane of the planet | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Cyclists are the bane of the planet

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PhilNotHill, Aug 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think cyclists should use the full lane, but it is the responsibility of passing car to make a safe pass and that usually isn't possible until a place you would pass a car (passing zone) using the full lane.

Cyclists aren't a motor vehicle. Maryland may be different than most states, but most states use most roadways for all traffic, just happens cars are the most frequent and popular. For instance, pretty common to have tractor traffic in our area that moves slower than cyclists and takes up more room.

I don't want to kill or hurt them!

exactly! Go read your quote just above from this thread earlier!!!

2. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #177 IamRobG, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Let me get this straight: she took that photo, while behind the wheel, with cyclists on the road?

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Lights yellow turning red. Hard to see with the 500 feet of bikers in front. But I appreciate the off topic comment about my wifes driving abilities while behind bikers.

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Stopped at an intersection, on my bike, I was hit by a truck/trailer two weeks ago. So yeah, I think it's fair for me to comment.

6. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Sorry for your accident and I hope all is well and you don't have serious injuries!!

Now back to arguing. The point I'm making is, one guy on the side of the road or stopped at an intersection, no big deal. 30 taking up the whole lane on a 2 lane road is why people get angry.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's not a 2 lane road. right lane is turn only from what I see. if cyclists were going straight they needed to be in the lane. also appears no shoulder or room for car to safely pass until after light. cars would attempt "stupid" passes, so often situation like this you take up entire lane to save them from themselves and also safer for you.

I've got a great story from ride last week that shows how stupid majority of drivers are with cyclists, but I will let this play out first. :D

8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I meant 2 lane, one on each side, HAIR SPLITTER!!

Problem is, people are dumb and impatient so now there's even more of a chance for something dangerous to happen. My wife won't pass, she'll sit behind and complain about how slow she is going until the pack moves.

I was a motorcycle rider for years, so I understand some of what you guys go through. However, the difference was, when we were in packs, we didn't hold up traffic. I don't know if you've ever been to long island, but a majority of the roads are thin on the north shore, 1 lane roads (2 lanes one on each side ;) ) with no shoulders, woods and hills on both sides and a lot of blind corners. For some reason these guys LOVE these roads instead of the wide open ones.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree, cycling is the one thing in my life so far where i gave up on being right in the name of safety. that is rare as I'm very righteous person and willing to die for many righteous things. however, i learned how stupid the majority of drivers are and decided it wouldn't be "smart" for me to die at hands of someone stupid in the name of righteousness. :D

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

That's exactly how/why I was hit, on a nearly identical 2-lane

I was too far over to the right --- and the truck/trailer decided to make a right turn anyway --- and blammo -- as the trailer (a 4-horse trailer) pivoted on its hitch, the trailer moved far rightward and hit me quite hard. I was (and still am) cut/bruised. My bike -- which is worth more than the pickup truck, I'm sure -- was relatively undamaged.

(1) I should have just occupied the entire lane of traffic, the hell with the cars.
    (2) The driver should have just calmed the f&*&k down, and waited until I was clear of the intersection.

A cyclist has absolutely zero defense against a moving 5'000 lb vehicle driven by an angry/distracted/careless operator. Zero.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #186 rob lay, Apr 27, 2016
    when I got hit by car it was a left hand turn only lane, I had no choice unless I stayed to far right and then at intersection cut across 3 lanes of traffic going each way. I could have received a moving violation for trying that. so with single turn lane I stayed in middle of lane as no shoulder or anywhere to pass and just 25 yards to the intersection. girl hit me square in the back totaled bike, major bruising and rash, still have back problems from it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Ugggg. That is all kinds of frightening.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I will save you from the skin pics, but it was pretty bad.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, here is my story how much of a disconnect between motorists and cyclists.

Texas Motor Speedway has a 5 mile loop around the outside that is a great cycling road a little shoulder and 2 lanes going each direction with light traffic.

There are 2 intersections that are 4-way stops. The track put up big signs before the stops that warn cyclists must come to a complete stop.

I was riding the loop and would come to a complete stop each time, over 80 minutes I encountered 20 cars at the same 4-way stop as me. Do you know how many came to a complete stop? ZERO!!!

I can guarantee almost every car would also complain if the cyclist didn't come to a complete stop. Just like every 4-way stop the person who comes to complete stop first gets to go first, since no one was coming to complete stop I had the right away every time. :D so then cars had to wait for me to get going from a complete stop and cross 4 lanes of traffic before they could then go.

I was fine with it, but just perfect example how cars have a wrong perspective. what, no signs warning cars must come to complete stop?

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Harvard trained lawyer once said to me, " here lies John Doe, he had the right of way".

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, I think the willingness to fight and die for what you believe in is missing in too many men these days, but I think it takes a higher form of intelligence and restraint not to die for stupid things. :D

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

It was said best many centuries ago, "discretion is better part of valor". (Henry IV)

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We don't have that in Europe, and I was really puzzled by "4-way stops" when I drove on holidays in the States.

Everytime I came to one of them, I never had any idea who was there first, or when it was ok for me to go.

I am sure that many a driver following me must have been swearing at my hesitation, and I had a few near-misses as well!!

I don't understand the logic of that system.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't blame yourself, 75% of Americans don't know how to drive. they don't understand how 4-way stops work, roundabouts, they drive in left lane on highway, don't use blinkers, and don't understand 2-turn lanes staying in proper lane.

so on 4-ways most of your problems were probably few doing it right to begin with. :)

rule 1 - whoever gets to line first goes first, complete stop. if you are 2nd or 3rd in line you don't worry about the order until you actually get to front. When that crowded often you just alternate.

rule 2 - if you come to stop about same time, the person on your right has the right away.

rule 3 - if the car coming the other direction has right away and not turning, then you can go too.

rule 4 - if someone goes out of turn then honk at them and flip them off. :D

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It seems very complicated and rather unnerving to me !!

I was told all that, but all the same, I could never figure out who was first!

It seemed to me to be a game of intimidation, and since I was in a rental car and not a huge truck, I was overly cautious, and irritated many people, I think.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it is kind of like the onramp, better to be aggressive and wrong and than timid and wrong. if you show any hesitation when your turn, then everyone will jump in front. :)

we have a good one by our house, I have been meaning to go film it during rush hour.

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #197 NeuroBeaker, May 27, 2016