Current market value | FerrariChat

Current market value

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Haioth, Aug 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Haioth

Haioth Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    What is the current market Value for a 1967 275 GTB 4

and are any currently available for sale in the U.S. market?

Looking for knowledgeable and accurate responses Please.

Thank you.

2. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    It is my understanding that one sold two days at RM auction for 900K. It was a very nice car, restored by one of the best. Symbolic has one for sale. With any old Ferrari, the history of who has worked on it means everything. The term "restored" means nothing unless it has been done properly by a selected few.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a pretty fresh price....$900K.

There was a Comp version for sale in UK, IIRC.....check out Hall & Bradfield website.

4. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Less than $1 million (for non Competition versions).....but not by much. The cars current condition and past history can make up to a $400,000 swing in price. That said it seems that $500,000 won't get you much of a 275GTB/4 these days. So there is really no single "market value" for these cars. But thats the ballpark at the moment

-Jarrett

5. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    The latest issue of Cavallino shows a range of $650K to $750K.

6. erick72pors

erick72pors Rookie

Sep 26, 2005
    Haioth,

Prices of these cars seem to vary all over the place from $500k to now $900k. Are you looking to buy one? Prices these days are way high, so maybe wait it out as these prices simply cant stay this high for long.

Best regards,
    Erick

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I would suggest this will likely turn out to be poor advice. If you are looking to buy, find the right car and pull the trigger. Unless I am mistaken, they aren't making any more...

8. enriquelanda5

enriquelanda5 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006
    Here's my take on the value of GTB/4s

Its true that Saturday that RM sold 9337, a Cavallino Classic and FCA National Platinum Award Winner, for $925,000 plus the buyer's premium of 10% which brought a $1,000,000 plus price.

This is the first since 1990 that a GTB/4 (standard car, non-competition or NART Spyder conversion) that trades for more than a million.

9337 should be considered the top of the market at the moment. When assessing the price paid it is important to consider that it is a certainly a 99 point car, where the buyer was buying an esthetically and mechanically perfect car. Getting a GTB/4 to that level likely cost $100k or more, when starting with a very good, unmolested car. While the price paid for 9337 is a new high, even more so when the buyers premium is considered, it did buy arguably the best GTB/4 available in recent years.

The value of all other GTB/4s most be considered in context of this recent sale that set the top of the market. My take is that the buyer paid a premium to buy at auction one of the best GTB/4s available, a perfectly restored platinum award winning car. I put that premium at $90 -100k.

So taking $1,017,500.00 paid for 9337 and subtracting $100k for the award/auction premium and another $100k for a 99 point restoration you end up with $800k for the car as the current market price that I expect GTB/4 owners to be asking for their cars.

An excellent car recently came out of Japan and sold for $750k in a private sale in late May, which is not too far off this mark, particularly considering it was pre-Monterrey.

Currently Symbolic Motors has a one for around $800k which is inline with the market as I see it…

You can see the car at...

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/vehicledetail.php?id=124

There are few other cars available at the moment. There are not many GTB/4s available in Europe.

Gregor Fisken just sold a car and was asking in $850k range for his car.

There are is a pair of cut GTB/4/NART Spyder conversions hanging around in the EU, but those cars trade at a premium to the berlinettas.

My guess is that this recent price will move prices up on most GTB/4s. I think that few owners will let the cars go for much less than $800k.

Although these prices may seem high, we are not yet at the high achieved by GTB/4s in the late 80s for when normal examples with some issues traded in the $900 - $950 range. These of course were 1989 dollars, which adjusted for current 2006 prices would be about $1,400,000. The prices paid then were by speculators hoping that they could drive a car for a year and sell it for a tidy profit. I think most people in this market continue to be end users that intend to keep a car and not likely to flip it for financial gain.

I think that a GTB/4 will trade in the $775k to $825k for the rest of the year.

The new market price set for the GTB/4 will bring more buyers to the market wanting a car before it gets to expensive and it will bring more cars to the market, brought by owners that become sellers at these new prices.

What GTB/4 prices will do depends on how many cars come to market. If the supply stays tight as it is now, expect higher prices. If the market is flooded, as it was in the Lusso market a couple months back, expect prices to plateau, and potentially fall for lesser quality examples.

My bet is that we’ll be at this level for a while and I think it’s more likely to increase from $800k than dip in the near term.

9. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Add another 100% to those figures for the Alloy body 4cams. The one that sold in Monterey was a nice looking car. Just don't look too closely at the head gaskets (and don't drive it too hard)..... For those that did, you'll know what I mean.

Steve

10. Haioth

Haioth Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Question answered. Thank you all.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The example at Hall & Bradfield.....comments??

12. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Despite the one sold at RM and another done privately over the weekend at the same price, we will still honor a price less than $800K for this car:

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/vehicledetail.php?id=124

This car has a very short chain of ownership and extremely unique SEFAC Ferrari specific history with Ex-Team Driver and development engineer, Mike Parkes.

Later the car was the personal "hack" of David Piper.

The car is largely original with a wonderful "patina" and no mechanical issues whatsoever!

The absence of books and tools limits the upper price but with a "short" ring and pinion it is insanely fun to run and drive.

The car would be a darling at the Tour Auto or other various events where such cars are welcome.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a friend of mine has a 4 cam that is currently being restored by david carte. it may very well be the best in the world when finished.

the resto began several years ago when the cars were under $400k. it has turned out to be a very good investment as when he sells, it will likey go for $1mm.

plans are to show the car at all the appropriate events to build the resume...then on the block i suspect.

14. enriquelanda5

enriquelanda5 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006
    Euro Classics is offering 10403.

Does anyone know what they are asking?

They are brokering the car from South Africa, interesting history.

Thoughts?

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    August/Sept 2002 Cavallino...275 GTB/4: Low end US $275K, high $375K.

16. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    My thoughts would be to wait for a car to come up that has a good history and has been serviced by a well known shop. Do not let a nice paint job fool you. A proper complete mechanical restoration (everything you do not see) will cost well over 100K. Read some of Michael Sheehans "kill joy" articles in his web site. A total restoration will cost from 175 to 275K, plus a few years waiting for it. Do your research before you buy! Have you considered a long nose 2 cam, torch tube car?

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    All 3 of them I was told... (One side)

18. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    From the photos, the car on e abay looks very nice. Anyone know the history of the restoration? A real healthy body really starts from the inside.