Current and Goal workouts? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Current and Goal workouts?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rob lay, Jul 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Finally made it back.

I woke up yesterday and decided to go to the gym before church. It was great to be back, espcially in a non-crowded gym.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #77 Schatten, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did the Real Ale Ride this past weekend (www.realaleride.com). Rented a Roubaix, replaced the horrible Specialized seat (thicker one, not the thin one) with my own SMP.

Only did the 50 miler with the [much faster than I] girlfriend. We needed to get a nap in before a birthday party later that evening, and with the 1 hr trek to Blanco, so we opted out of the 65 and 80 mile routes. Hills, steep inclines, oh my. Averaged not too great at all. The bike was light, but wasn't properly fitted and adjusted. I blame my fitness level on lack of speed and endurance.

To-do list:
    - still need to drink more water
    - more rigorous training with cadence

Slowly but surely... working on swimming.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm still trying to make my shoulders stronger than a 12 year old girl's. Making progress too...

Getting closer to the six-pack-dream after quitting smoking and hitting cario harder than Bobby on Whitney. I'm doing hanging leg raises for multiple sets of twenty and doing decline crunches with a sixty pound dumbell on my collar-bone. Putting some chizzled guys to shame on the over-all strength of my abs. I figure when I do cut this last inch of fat around the old midsection and tighten up, I'll look like a stack of bricks.

_J

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, I am 40 years old and a former weight trainer and (sometimes) competitive bodybuilder. I started feeling aches and pains in my late 30's (kids will do that!), so I ruled out further weight lifting to regain and maintain my shape. I decided to do something different - train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I weigh 185 lbs., about 5'7" - outwardly, I appear to be in good shape, although I am "softer" than I was in my weight training days. From a cardio perspective, I am like an old man - I gas quick, so my goals were less lofty than most. For those that don't know, a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu session is intense - 1/2 hour of stretching and/or "boot camp" cardio, 1/2 hour techniques, 1/2 hour of "rolling" (actual fighting at full bore - somewhat like "randori" in Judo).

My initial goals:

- Make it through an entire 1 1/2 hour class without being gassed (achieved)
    - Improve my physical appearance (arbitrarily, I did not take a measurement of body fat) - this is being achieved, I can see my six pack and my wife and friends could not believe how much better I look. In fact, I look MORE muscular, not thinner, which is exactly what I wanted :)

Future goals:

- MASTER the basics (basic guard, armbar from guard, armbar from mount, etc)
    - Achieve blue belt - this will take me at least a year to get. In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, there are only 5 belts (white, blue, purple, brown, black), so it takes time to go to the next level. Right now, I get my butt kicked on a nightly basis, but I do see improvements
    - Compete in at least one NAGA (grappling) tournament
    - Win at least one NAGA tournament in my class (senior / 185lbs)

This will require patience, but I am having fun and haven't felt so good in years. My back pain and little aches are all but gone (but I've developed others - fighting at full speed CAN hurt you!), but I absolutely love it!!!

5. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Currently I am 6ft 1 in tall 195 lbs looking to get to 175-180( 51 years old)current pulse rate is 63.. Currently I run 3 miles a day lift weights for about 40 min. a day and ride my MX bike 40 min a day. I take two days off a week from my routine. Not looking to bulk up and I also do ballet exercises with my weight routine ( Don't laugh they are tough)

Went vegetarian a couple months ago and feel a lot better. I do drink a glass of wine or Saki every day

Mostly looking for good cardio and stamina so I can play in a band again.

6. 355lvr

355lvr Rookie

May 5, 2006
    Working out 5 or 6 days a week. I either hit the weights or do cardio...typically keeping them mutually exclusive. Going for the lean look, as cardio and endurance sports are most important to me.

Now:

Running 3 or 4 days a week (biking (road or mtn) on the others in addition to gym)

Today (as an example) - 3:15 mtn bike ride followed by a 3 mile run

Goals (by August):

14 mile trail run - accomplished 6/6, 2.5hrs, no hydration or food

26+ mile trail run (marathon equivalent)

Century road bike ride (done 2 in the past)

For me, there is nothing better than sweating your guts out to the point where your sunglasses are sweat-stained, your face burns, and you drip sweat from the tip of your nose.

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I started a 5x5 routine on Tuesday. If that first workout is any indication, I'm going to see great results from this. I also was really impressed with how much I could actually lift fairly easily.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Had my first tri this year and 1st of 3 tris over next 5 weeks. Just a 500 M/12 M/3.1 M. Very well run and organized out of Las Colinas, technical bike course plus we had some light rain. At least not too hot. Didn't expect much, met my goals of going through the motions and my technique was good. I just get hammered in the bike not training enough, the bike wreck last week recovering mentally and physically, and getting comfortable on the new bike. For how little I've been training happy with 7th of 24 in Male 35-39 and I would have gotten 3rd of 16th in Clydesdales, but although I'm 5 lbs legal my goal by next year is just straight 35-39 20 lbs lighter. Swim course seemed a little long for 500 M, my 10:02 was 3rd fastest in my age group and fastest swim split overall was 7:13. I usually average 1:35-1:45 pace and out of 300 entrants there should have been a few competitive swimmers than can churn a sub 6 minute 500 M. My splits...

500 M Swim: 10:02 (2:00 100 M pace)
    1:06 Transition #1
    12 Mile Bike: 36:51 (19.5 MPH)
    1:04 Transition #2
    3.1 Mile Run: 23:51 (7:42 pace)
    ---
    1:12:56

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #84 rob lay, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got pictures in, my face end of the run looks more painful than I remember. :) My mind also remembers when I was fast, but looking at the pictures reminds me why I'm not as body wise being over 20 lbs. heavier. Good motivation though, first two are from last weekend and last two are from 10 years ago when 20-25 lbs. lighter.

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LMAO!

Rob, what the hell kind of running shirt is that?

I shouldn't laugh because there's no way I could do all that, but it is funny. lol

11. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Swim 12:38 (2:19/100yd)
    T1 0:48
    Bike 35:48 (20.13mph)
    T2 0:47
    Run 27.40 (8:54 min/mile)

1:17:41

I thought that was you who ran past me in the chess board on LSD tri suit wasn't 100% sure tho. I ran in a different pair of shoes than I normally do sockless so I ended up with some pretty nasty blisters on the back of my heels that started halfway through the run. Started off on a pretty good pace and probably could have gone sub 24 min if it wasn't for that. Now I just need to get some swim lessons.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The black & white? That's a one piece tri suit, good for the swim, bike, and run. Much preferable than doing a Speedo for all like myself and most others 10 years ago did.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I haven't tried sockless tri shoes yet, but I'm trying some 2-layer socks that are working great now for blisters. The wash from the bike soaked my socks and through the run each step was slosh - slosh. :)

It was a fun tri, but swim was a little longer than 500 M and rain made the bike somewhat technical. I'm doing a tri this Sunday that is only a 2 mile run, I plan to blow myself up on the bike to see how fast I can go.

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Switched from 2-layer socks to Feetures! about two years ago. http://www.feeturesbrand.com/lightfreshfx.php

15. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    I recommend riding sock-less from now on, and bringing a pair in your jersey pocket to put on if your feet begin to feel tender. If you do that every time you ride, running will become easy to do barefoot. I always run barefoot now, unless I'm doing something over 12-14 miles, and I never wear socks on the bike.

16. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    #91 fingolfin, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    My long-term goal right now is to qualify for Kona. I'm 22 and understand this may take me another 8-10 years to achieve, but I'm confident I can do it. My short term plan is to spend another couple of seasons becoming as fast as I can at Olympic distance (I hope to get to 2:12 - 2:14) before kicking it up into half-ironman distance, then ironman distance.

Luckily I'm moving to Denver, a triathlete's dream city, in about 2 months, where I should be able to find plenty of training partners and great terrain.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Had my #2 tri of the year, just a short sprint. I should be pleased, but upset I'm 25 lbs. overweight and not training the best I can yet I took the last podium spot in a 25 man 35-39 age group. Just makes me think about what I could accomplish. I didn't rest this week except doing my long bike Monday and long run Tuesday so I would have all week to recover from those. I am now comfortable with my new bike and not scared of laying it down again. Goal was simply to go strong in the swim and then hard on the bike just trying to survive in the short 2 mile run. My swim wave was all 35-39 Male and Female (about 40 people). A few hundred in I couldn't believe no one had come around me and was catching the previous wave. I'm not a great swimmer, but it is usually my best ranked split and top 25%. Swim course was longer than documented as usual, so split was slow but I was first out of the water in my wave. My bike is so out of shape right now that 20.6 MPH was actually a hard pace for me, I was totally in oxygen debt and wheezing through the 2 mile run feeling like my pace was 9 minute miles. Pleasantly surprised at the 1 mile turnaround when watch said well under 8 minutes.

Will do another week of regular workouts and then start tapering down for 3 weeks ending the season with a hard Olympic distance tri out in hot West Texas. Goal for that last race is just to finish, not going for time. The 10k run is on a soft sandy dirt road and temps already rising by the run. I simply want to do it without blowing up.

400 M Swim: 8:51 (2:13 100 M pace)
    1:37 Transition #1
    11 Mile Bike: 32:00 (20.6 MPH)
    :55 Transition #2
    2 Mile Run: 15:17 (7:39 pace)
    ---
    58:42

http://www.mychiptime.com/display_race.php?eID=3407&show=division&division=Age+Group+M+35-39

18. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You Triathlon guys are on a whole different level...I think I would actually drown on the swimming portion. The numbers that are involved in triathlons blow my mind!!

I do decathlon at University of Colorado, and I have two goals for the upcoming season, both indoor and outdoor. Score in the Big 12 Conference track meet (difficult to do) and qualify for the NCAA National Championships (harder to do) Top 16-20 get in for Div. 1 nationals and it takes a serious performance to do so. I've had some unfortunate injuries happen in my first two years, but at the same time I've learned so much throughout the process. This year should be my year, and it will take at least a 7,100 score in decathlon to score team points at the Big 12 meet and around 7,300 to get into nationals. Obviously the latter will go well for both. Right now I'm just under 6,600 points, and the meet where that happened wasn't really that spectacular, so I know improving that score initially won't be difficult.

As far as event goals (and a Decathlon crash course for those who dont know ;) ) this is what I'm thinking for 2010

Indoor season:
    60m - 7.30 seconds
    Long Jump - 23' / 7m
    Shot Put - 40' or 12m
    High Jump - 6'8

60 Hurdles - 8.80 seconds
    Pole Vault - 15'
    1000m: 2:39.99

---------
    Outdoor Season
    100m: 11.25
    Long Jump: 23' / 7m +
    Shot Put - 40' / 12m
    High Jump - 6'9 / 2.06m
    400m - 49.50

110H - 15.50
    Discus - 37m / 120'
    Pole Vault - 15'6 / 4.75
    Javelin - 175' / 54m
    1500m - 4:28

Those goals add up to more than 7300, but decathlons consist of highs and lows. So while some events may go great, as hard as you try, one event may not go as well as you'd hoped. All of these are absolutlety within my means athletically, and are just a little bit ahead of my personal bests.

Wish me luck for 2010!!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  20. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I run every morning 6-8 mph for just about an hour(sprint/run/sprint/run). Sometimes I substitute the elliptic or stair machines if I find myself getting bored.

Three days per week I lift weights at 4pm for one hour. Twice with a trainer once on my own.
    On the non lifting days I will do another run at 4 with situps/pull ups.

Saturday I will do a longer run of 12-15 miles and nothing in the afternoon.
    Sunday I do whatever I feel like. Sometimes a run. Sometimes a swim. If I am ambitious I'll do some heavy lifting.

The goal is to run a half marathon, dead lift at least two times my body weight 5 times and do 30 overhand wide grip pull ups with excellent form from rep one to rep 30.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Triathlon season over, I just got hammered at the San Angelo, TX Olympic Distance. When I did triathlons competitively 9+ years ago 20 lbs. lighter and twice the shape this race still hammered me. Swim and Bike course are fair and easy, but they call the 10K "Road from Hell". It is a hilly sandy off road with temps rising quickly 85 degrees by the run. As example how hard the run is in my faster years I did this exact tri in 2:19:47 w/50:12 run and 2:23:06 w/51:15 run. For those that know Olympic times you see how slow those runs are for that pace Olympic distance. Other Olympic courses during that same period my 10k was usually 41-43 minutes. This year the race was the South-Midwest championships, so all the big guns were out. The top elite 10k times were 37-43 where most races they are 30-35.

I knew the run would be tough and I knew my training was suspect for an Olympic Distance. My goal for swim and bike was just smooth and easy. Considering I had only been swimming once a week and not that much, I was very happy my technique carried me through the 1500 meters in 27:25 (1:50 100M pace). That split was 43rd of 194 racers. I really took the bike easy at only 18.6 MPH pace, but I knew how hard the run would be and my goal was not to walk. Turns out even with my easy swim and bike the run was just way too much for me. I might have been better doing the bike harder and just plan to walk parts of the run. I started off OK, but miles went downhill quick... 8:32, 8:43, 11:52, 10:32, 12:13, 11:54. I would say only the top 10-20% made the complete run without any walking. Even when I did this race in 2:19 and 2:23 9+ years ago I had to walk the water stations.

So disappointed I had to walk part of the run, but not too upset. This race you have to train for the run like a half marathon in the heat, not an easy 10k run. So I did 3 tris this year, lost 13 lbs. and toner in the process. I still want to lose another 15 lbs and train harder next year, but I had fun and confirmation I want to get back into triathlons again. I'm going to do the Dallas Half Marathon again later this year, so will focus on distance running with just a few swims and bikes.

22. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Right on, man. I was out in Texas a few weeks ago and it was hot as hell! None of us is getting any younger so just getting out there and setting goals is pretty damn cool. I did my first at the Malibu tri two years ago and loved it. Missed the deadline this year but I'm doing Hermosa Beach (shortie) in October and maybe one in the winter if I can find something good.

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Today I just got an idea... really it's been burbling in my head for a couple weeks...

Once I'm down to approx. 200, I'm going to radically change my workout routine. I don't know if I'll be able to follow it, but I'm pretty psyched up about the prospect. Why wait til then? Because my body cannot do the work just to prepare for my goal yet.

I'm going to be sticking with my non-gym membership lifestyle; and start doing radical aerobic calisthenic exercises that I previously had never heard of, or dreamed of being able to do. I already feel that my upper body is by far the strongest it has ever been... and given my weight, I cannot yet do things I've never been able to do yet.

So what is it? I want to achieve gymnast flexibility and strength... I'd like to be able to do One... yes One 90 Degree Push up in no less than 12 months time once I'm at 200 lbs. (hopefully sooner). I think it will take a very aggressive approach to get to that point; and will really have to work on my back strength (which I thought was good until I had tried a couple of crazy exercises!)

When I've gotten a good routine figured out, I'll post what I'm doing. The body is an amazing tool when combined with gravity. :)

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    family was just driving down street and local elementary school few blocks away had all these balloons and sign for 5k fun run. we went over Jennie pushing Mia in stroller and me with only a beer gut weight penalty. perfect weather 72 degrees and little wind, but hilly course! 100 kids zoomed out first 100 yards and then started walking. :D not a huge race or tons of fast people so I kept the leaders in sight maybe a little too long going through 2 miles at 14 minutes. Final time was 23:19 which is 7:31 pace. considering my current shape and the hills that is a good time for me. Jennie came through at 29 which is amazing for pushing Mia in the stroller.

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I was up around 220 a few months back

My recent goal was 205# by Halloween and I made that a few days ago.

I have Mini goals of 5# and I have a weekly weigh in w my trainer and he has software so I can track my bodyfat & measurements which is inspiring

New Mini goal is 199# by Thanksgiving

Ultimate goal is to be between 170-185# and stay there forever

My son is inspiring me too bcus as an 11 month old he has unlimited energy and I know I have to be lean if I have any hope of keeping up with him

Now I'm feeling as if I'm on the verge of quite a leap as my old clothes are almost falling off me :)

Luckily I kept my skinny clothes and it feels great to be able to wear them again