Current Amtrak Auto Car Transport | FerrariChat

Current Amtrak Auto Car Transport

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by FerrariFR33458, Feb 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Hello all, Im considering attending an event with my Fcar in FL. Apr 13-15 Weekend trip to Celebration Exotic Car Festival, Celebration, FL. My potential option to transport my car to FL roundtrip include Amtrak Auto Train. The threads on this topic are dated. Are their any Fchatters who have utilized this service recently? How was your experience. Would you use this service for your Fcar? Any other advice would be helpful. Thank you

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I know several people who have taken non-exotic cars to Florida and if you are willing to give up your keys and let a stranger load and unload it then I guess it is okay (and not see it for 30 hours). The only recommendation they gave me was to pay a premium ($50) so that it would be unloaded sooner than waiting an hour for it. Also... per Amtrak you need to have at least 4" of ground clearance.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I concur with everything INRange says. My wife takes that train from Lorton down to our place in Florida quite often. She likes the experience, but uses an SUV and always has a lot of luggage, which is convenient to leave in the car.

I don't know how much of the 4" ground clearance Amtrak says is really required. I would imagine the front lip of a car would be the area of concern since the cars are driven up and down ramps. The train cars have two levels for autos and I think the bottom level has the steepest ramp slopes. I have seen some Jaguars and believe some Corvettes have been accommodated (see video below). As far as the priority unloading, it is limited to 5 autos on each of 5 rail cars (total = 25 autos) on the top level. This group of 5 rail cars is the first to be split off the train in Florida. Also, Amtrak attaches a magnetic number sign to the driver's door but I've never seen any damage from that on the wife's car. Once the train departs Lorton, it is a big party all the way down to Florida with a bunch of really nice people. Totally opposite from flying.

4. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Thank you guys so much!

5. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Amtrak apparently damaged a friend’s 2015 Corvette front spoiler. They did not pay for damages. Caveat Emptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Copy That. Ok I guess I'm down to paying a exotic car shipper or driving the 458 to Orlando.

bball16 likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I have taken it several times with my Nissan 350Z fully loaded with my belongings for a move (and sitting pretty low to the ground) and it had no issues. It did get kind of dusty on it. The loading and unloading wasn't an issue either. It was only $330 one way I think with my seat included.

I'm not sure how familiar they are with the paddle shifting stuff, but my car is a manual and it wasn't a problem. The people with motorcycles are allowed to accompany the bike to set onto the pallet that they use, but if you have a car they drive it directly into the train without you. They also video taped the car in a walkaround to document any possible damage.

I think the bigger worry is the train itself running into another train! Amtrak's track record recently is not that good...

8. Melvin Mobley

Melvin Mobley Rookie

Aug 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Melvin V Mobley
    I haven't utilized their service yet. Last month, a very close friend of mine has got his car moved to an event in CA with the help of Florida Transporter about which he came to know from this site while surfing the internet. He was very much satisfied with their service as he got a safe transportation of his vehicle to the location. If you want to hire any professional service regarding your car transport, you can refer to them without any hesitation.

9. VA_Alfa

VA_Alfa Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    Full Name:
    Alex Sullivan
    If you decide to ship the car, try these guys. They've shipped Alfa's and Porsches for me.

http://www.applewoodmotorcar.com

Alex in VA