Current 400 Market... | FerrariChat

Current 400 Market...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by mirafiori1, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mirafiori1

mirafiori1 Rookie

Mar 6, 2008
    SE PA
    First post here...just discovered this great forum! Anyway, I am comtemplating the purchase of a 400 series car and have a few questions about what I am finding (or not finding). I realize that these cars are pretty rare but I do not see very many on the market currently. Maybe its the time of year? Any thoughts on this? Or maybe some suggestions as to the best places to look. I'm looking on e-bay, hemmings, cars.com, autotrader.com primarilly.

My second question relates to these cars being known as a "tough sell". When I hear that, I would think that there would be a good supply of cars on the market at reasonable (or at least flexible) prices, but that is NOT what I am seeing. I am seeing cars with issues with unrealistically high asking prices. Any thoughts on this?

I have owned exotics in the past including a 308 series Ferrari (308GT4 specifically), and most recently a Maserati Mexico (you can see that I prefer the 2+2 cars...I like to include my kid!). I thoroughly enjoyed my 308 for over 5 years, but always loved the 400 series Ferraris, and want to step up to a 12. Against the advice of my Ferrari mechanic I must add...

Any input would be appreciated.

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Welcome aboard!

First piece of advice it to drive a good one before you buy - make sure you like the way the car feels. These are very different than earlier cars such as my 330.

While rare, there are actually several cars availlible and, considering these cars were top of the line for Ferrari when new, they are very inexpensive today. You can buy a nice car for the cost of an engine rebuild so, prices of cars in need are low. Projects are in the $7,500 - $15,000 range, nice drivers (with autos) start in the upper $20s (subtracting for issues adding for really sharp cars or manual transmissions).

These are great cars to buy because you love them, not as investments.

Regards,

Art S.

3. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    when you find one you like, just post the seriel number and a few people might just have something to say about it..hmhm dave??? lol..

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Kerim, just let me know when you want to sell yours...

Just missed that car in PA but it sounds like it went to a good home! Cheers!

5. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Due to the small number of cars produced, and therefore the small size of the market now, these cars ARE a tough sell, but equally it's a tough buy to get a good one for a fair price. There are a lot of ropey cars out there, some of them asking top dollar. So the asking price isn't always a good indication of condition. Get it checked, and ideally buy a 'known' car.

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    thanks peter...just love the car to much to part with. Thank god you didnt take a look at it, or i woulndt be the current owner!!~

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <laughing> Oh probably

8. Zogman

Zogman Rookie

Feb 13, 2008
    Mission Viejo, CA
    In response to Mira, I was in your shoes about a month ago. I found my way to this fantastic forum to pick the minds of the true fans of this great car. I was looking to make the 400i my daily driver. There are a few that are on this forum that do exactly that. They responded favorably. I found a 5 speed car that was just 15 miles away from me. The car has been for sale for quite a while and was currently being offered for $25k and he is a member of this forum. I made an appointment to check out and drive the car. I was in instant awe of the car. I was able to drive it to my satisfaction. The v12 was awesome and the 5 speed was near perfect.

As mentioned in this forum, the car took a long time to warm up. Once up to temperature, I pushed it a little but not too much. The drive was everything I was looking for. I don't think I would have a problem paying the asking price of the car.

With that said, I sat down at home after the drive and I thought the car was rather numb to drive. I drive a 96 Impala SS as my daily driver which is about 2' longer and it is a much more nimble car to drive than the 400i. Like most mid 80's cars, I found there to be way to much junk in the engine compartment. The console just looked cheesy and fitment was just not to my liking. The last peace of my decision was information taken from this forum. Since I wanted to drive it regularly, the maintenance was going to be steep for a regular driver. Plus taking into consideration that the car is over 20 years old, other stuff aside from maintenance would bleed me. I find myself not quite worthy to own this car as a daily driver. I don't want to be another one of those knuckleheads that says "ewe look at me, I drive a Ferrari" and then proceed to have a great car degrade with lack of attention.

I hope the fans here don't take offense at my opinions. They are only my opinions. I am also interested in the Porsche 928. I've been floating around the Porsche forum and someone in my local area let me drive his 5 speed 928 this past weekend. I found the 928 much more to my liking. Much more nimble and responsive to my type of driving. These cars are also maintenance whores but not to the extent of the 400i.

Proceed with caution, it's a fantastic car and you might end up seeing me own one eventually. Best wishes.
    Zoli

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmm, just goes to show how opinions can vary from person to person. I've only driven a 928 once, and it was many years before I first drove a 400 and therefore I don't have a direct side by side comparison, but my recollection of the 928 was that it was a heavy car and handled fairly ponderously. While the 400i is a heavy car by the standards of Ferraris of the era (modern V12 Ferraris are as heavy or moreso, albeit with more horsepower), physically it is about the same size as a Camaro and I've not been disappointed in its nimbleness. Huge turning circle that is apparent in 3 point turns or in parking situations, but actually pretty fun on the road. Put it next to my train station Camry and I am always blown away at how much larger the Camry is!

As they say, Your Mileage May Vary! Good luck with your search for the car that floats your boat!

John

10. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    [.

With that said, I sat down at home after the drive and I thought the car was rather numb to drive. I drive a 96 Impala SS as my daily driver which is about 2' longer and it is a much more nimble car to drive than the 400i. Like most mid 80's cars, I found there to be way to much junk in the engine compartment. The console just looked cheesy and fitment was just not to my liking. The last peace of my decision was information taken from this forum. Since I wanted to drive it regularly, the maintenance was going to be steep for a regular driver. Plus taking into consideration that the car is over 20 years old, other stuff aside from maintenance would bleed me. I find myself not quite worthy to own this car as a daily driver. I don't want to be another one of those knuckleheads that says "ewe look at me, I drive a Ferrari" and then proceed to have a great car degrade with lack of attention.

Proceed with caution, it's a fantastic car and you might end up seeing me own one eventually. Best wishes.
    Zoli[/QUOTE]

Good post, with some good points. These cars can be used as daily drivers but they will cost you in time and money. And they are so old a newer Impala will preform close. Buy these cars for what they are and not for something they can never be. They are hand built, exotics, that have few equals. If you want an easy to drive car with less maintence that may even have close perfomance #'s they streets are filled with options to chose from. Even Ferrari type "people" do not look at these cars much. Of course I will not consider Enzo a Ferrari "type" person since these were one of the few street cars he drove.

11. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #11 aleventhal, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Funny that reasonable minds can differ, as I find my 400i (#049773) much more nimble than one would expect from the styling / reputation. That said tires and alignment can make a BIG difference. Perhaps the car you drove was not as well sorted as it appeared? With my summer tires on it, my 400i turns in sharply and sticks like glue - really quite wonderful on sweeping curvy two lanes.

As for maintenance on a daily driver, if you buy a sorted car or sort one out (not recommened) these cars are very cheap to run / drive. My car has consumed little more than gas, oil and tires in the last 20k miles (admittedly A LOT of oil, but that is another story) of daily, four season driving.

A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

I love that picture!

Zoli,

great post! The car is what it is, you may have few problems or you may have a disaster, it is a risk with these cars.

I have had my 330 for many years (I bought it when 330s were viewed similarly to how 400s are viewed today). During periods of ownership, the 330 was my primary/daily driver. It is possible to do, but you cannot compare it to a modern Toyota/Honda for ease of ownership.

Regards,

Art S.

13. mirafiori1

mirafiori1 Rookie

Mar 6, 2008
    SE PA
    Thanks everyone for all the great input! I guess I really need to drive one as a first step as I have not driven one before. But I do realize that they are not a "sports car" in their driving characteristics and that is fine with me. The two things drawing me most to the 400's is the exterior styling and the V12 Ferrari sounds. I also realize the major issue maintenance can be....which is precisely the reason my (Ferrari) mechanic advised to get something else. But as we all know, once the "emotional" desire kicks in, the "rational" gets tossed out the window.

Also, this will not be a daily driver....just a nice weather weekend driver.

Anyone know of any that are for sale in the PA/NJ/DEL area?

Alex...great pic (& plate!)....did you used to have a blue 308GT4?

14. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Thanks for the kind words! I DO have a blue 308gt4 (#10704) and also a blue 365BB (#18265), silver TR (#65247) and of course the 400i. What made you think I had the gt4? Have you seen it around or have we met?

A

15. mirafiori1

mirafiori1 Rookie

Mar 6, 2008
    SE PA
    Hi Alex, Your plate on the 400 caught my eye as I am a huge Fiat guy...owned a bunch but currently only one (a Spider), and an Abarth 750 (Fiat 600 based). I remember meeting you and seeing your blue 308GT4 a long time ago, probably close to 10 years ago, at the North Jersey Ferrari show I believe. I think that was just before I purchased my 76 308GT4 (#12042) which I no longer own, but had for about 5 years. Good to "run into" you again!

16. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, you guys knew I was going to jump in on this one. It is probable that you are BOTH right. I have six 928's currently all local show condition (ie. not full on concours cars, but VERY NICE driver) and I have owned 2 others as well. Every freaking one of them has a different personality! So, it just depends on the car you get in as to how it will feel to you. Of course every person is different too in the way they drive and what they are looking for, so there is no one perfect car for everyone.

I LOVE my 928's. Frankly the earlier cars (Original Body-OB) seem to handle better to me. They are more nimble in their factory set up. They are lighter and they have a wider front track by 1" or more over the rear, and have matched wheels/tires front and rear. Makes them very neutral and they are pretty crisp too and don't roll to much in spirited driving. The later cars (and the GTS's in particular) have wider rear tires and a 2" wider rear track and are set up with WAY TO MUCH understeer plus they weigh at least 300# more than the original. Now the 5spd versions of the later cars can overcome the understeer with careful throttle application, but the auto's don't respond well to that. You can also alter the front suspension settings in many ways to dial out the understeer issues, but then you are going to run into eating tires.

They are not bad to care for from a cost perspective, are quite attractive even today (especially the GTS's of which only 422 were ever imported) and are quite powerful...GTS's 350 HP, 370 Tq! S4's are the best blend of power, handling, luxury and cost on the 928 front and make 320 HP, 320 Tq. You can get a NICE S4 for $14k!

I am personally looking for a 400 to scratch my Ferrari itch but will of course keep my 928's. I look forward to someday having a 456 too. Of course needing an auto trans and room for a wheelchair make my situation unique.

YMMV!

Best,
    James
    Austin, TX

17. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    ...and you as well! The Abarth is a VERY cool car!

18. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    My Black/tan 1984 400i might be for sale. It's in mint condition but its currently getting looked at by Bill Pollard. I'm in line to do a major service because he told me it has never been done since the car only has ~12k miles. I do what he says because the board says just listen to him and let him do his work.

I bought the car in March of 2007 and have had so much doubt on whether or not I have enough balls to drive it...I'm just afraid something might happen to it and its just so damn beautiful so I think when I get the major done I'll probably never drive it and garage it forever. It's too nice to drive honestly...I dont even want to mess up the near perfect tan leather which still has that new leather smell...I dont know what to do to be completely honest.

Let me know if you are interested...I'm just wavering at the moment on whether or not I should give it up...I know I'd be sad if I did sell it but then again
    maybe someone else will have enough balls to drive it and enjoy it. You wont find a car that looked anything like it...its unique and has its own style that no other can compete with...

Jim =(

19. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    james i know what you mean..when i bought my car a year ago it had 8700 miles on it and everything on the car is spanking new. but this car is not meant to sit..you dont have to make it a daily driver, just take it out on a nice sunday drive once a week and get the revs up!!! but if your afraid to drive it....thats not a good thing...p.s..any pics?? would love to see it..from another 84 black tan owner..

20. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    We shall see what becomes of my 400...I will try and post pics soon but given Bill has it I wont be able to take any in the next 2 months.

I will not forget.

Thanks for the reply. =)

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Too nice to drive...same goes for my recently-purchased 308.

It was in very good original condition to begin with, and when it got to Dallas from CT I had Norwood Performance do a major service, needed or not, plus complete detail, professional interior reconditioning and paint touchup, and engine compartment component refinish, and new Tubi exhaust.

It's pretty near a new car now, looking to be a garage queen.

Bill Pollard is a good man to have your car with.

22. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You guys are KILLING ME! Give me your cars I'll freaking DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF THEM! They are CARS, drive them, enjoy them, that is what Mr. Ferrari would WANT you to do!

James
    Austin, TX

23. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    Amen.

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

My 330 was a real driver, very nice car but not to the point of wanting to keep it in...it got driven 3 or 4 times a week. I didn't worry about it getting a little wet and dirty (too much rain and the sunroof leaked) or when a new rock chip appeared. Then it went and got totaled.

The 308 is a car I don't want to drive in the rain at all, and I will likely freak at the first scratch or chip.

25. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Totally understand the leaky sunroof... I think 2 of my 928's have leaky ones, and of course I owned a Triumph Spitfire...talk about leaky! DANG! If it just rained a little you could plan on getting wet. Might as well put the freaking top down! LOL!

Suck on the getting totaled deal! At least you are ok!

Best,
    James