CT garage build thread | FerrariChat

CT garage build thread

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by jlclt348, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just moving into and renovating a 1928 house. There's 2 car garage out back with finished loft and bath above. It's a mess, and priorities are all focused on the house itself, but we are planning to make this into a classic barn style "showroom" for my F cars (360 and 348). Could get interesting as there are potential structural issues :)

Will post here throughout the build and am open to ideas and suggestions. And please come by to say hello if you're near Fairfield County, CT

Tonight I moved house renovation junk to dumpster. Pics also showing the potting shed, which also houses a family of rabbits, and the external oil tank / Superfund site behind the building.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
  3. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Looks like a fun project, good luck!

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what's going above ?

5. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What's going above is currently being debated in the family. It used to be an apartment, but the town shut that down. According to my teenage son it will have a pool table, couches and a massive screen :)

Probably a combo of gaming / music space (we're both musicians). Doubtful if my wife will ever go up there lol.

Will post some more pics tomorrow.

6. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Makuono likes this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Great space! I love building garage mahal’s

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Excellent opportunity and good luck! Will check this thread for updates. That's a really big old tree sitting in your superfund site photo. Hopefully its stable and no dangerous branches over your project.

9. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    There are 6 big trees around the property that need to come down, including this one. And I'm sure this tree's roots have compromised the foundation/slab.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Well it sounds like you like a challenge and know what your getting into so good luck and post pics along the way.

11. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    We are moving in 4 weeks and main house still has a long way to go so garage project has been slightly neglected. But I did manage to do some more cleanup this evening. 2 major issues to resolve right away: the floor and the mechanicals.

I have $7,000 quote to jackhammer the floor and repour it. Has anyone done this? The contractor says many issues could be lurking under the floor to drive up the price, and I believe him!

For the mechanicals, I want to get rid of oil furnace/direct water heater and pull out the old baseboard heat. I'm thinking electric heat and a new electric water heater will be better for our needs. Thoughts? I don't want all that plumbing in the ceiling above the cars and I don't want to maintain 2 furnaces. Also, do you think anyone would buy this old equipment, or just throw it out?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. MWHC4S

MWHC4S Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pouring a new floor, then install in floor radiant heating. Can’t beat it

bball16 and BOKE like this.
  13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have an oil fired boiler that runs a combination of baseboard, unit heater, and radiant heat. I just had a new boiler and unit heater installed. The old equipment was still functioning and was of no value, basically just throw it away.

ScottS likes this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Anything you do to an existing property is going to be a compromise.

Personally if I was back across the pond I'd look at a proper furnace/forced air system, running the trunking overhead in the garage feeding both the garage and space above. Easy enough to install in your application, although wouldn't fit your need to not have two furnaces to maintain. Plus side is you can at least completely manage the temp & humidity depending on your set up.

Floor is an interesting one. What's the plan, just dig it up and re-pour it; or damp proof/insulate etc?

PS Not sure about US, but over here that copper pipe has scrap value worth looking at.

15. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    For HVAC, would go with an and LG unit. One outside unit will likely be able to serve both upstairs and downstairs.

16. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    Whats the reason to remove and redo the floor. Unless you plan to do in floor heating, there is no need to destroy it. A good flooring contractor could make it look back new with a proper epoxy coating. The cracks could all be repaired. and you'd be in for 3K max.

17. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I suspected the existing equipment would not have any value. Certainly not enough to justify the time it would take to list, negotiate and sell it. Next call is to the plumber. And a oil tank remediation company. Sounds like $$

The current floor appears to be concrete slabs. They have shifted over time so that some parts of the floor are higher/lower than others. I think this eliminates the option to fill cracks and resurface, much as I would prefer to do just that and call it a day.

By "LG" do you mean electric heat pump? Does this option (forced air) have any major advantages to just using plug-in electric (hot oil) radiators and/or electric baseboard?

The only remaining plumbing will be for upstairs bath (sink/shower/toilet). Would you be concerned about having these piped over the F cars? Worth it to spend the extra $$ to re-route them? I'm thinking about a VERY small electric water heater. Or maybe tankless electric (direct) water heater? The hot water will probably only be used occasionally, like a few times a year.

Wow this turned about to be a lot of questions, but its helping me organize my thoughts, so thanks again!

18. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Follow up to my own last question: might another option be to install the small hot water tank or direct electric solution in the bathroom itself? That would eliminate the need for any of the copper piping in the garage ceiling, except for one water line coming in from the house.

19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M

Something like this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jaguar36 likes this.
  20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I would definitely go with a mini-split heat pump for primary heat/AC. They're super efficient and easy to install. Modern mini-splits will work even below 0 degrees. Biggest issue might be finding an installer who is willing to do it for a reasonable price. I'm in NJ and couldn't find any HVAC folks who wanted anything to do with them. Ended up doing it myself in an afternoon.

How much power do you have out there? Instantaneous electric water heaters need a huge amount of power, even for pretty low flow rates.

Are you sure the trees need to come down? Pulling down 6 mature trees sucks.

If you're planning on keeping the garage heated full time I wouldn't worry about the pipes over the car. If anything does happen, well thats what insurance is for.

Nice E36 btw.

21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Agreed.

I actually just built a 750sf addition with 14’ ceilings on my garage, and installed all of the tubing and insulation for radiant heat. Started getting pricing for the boilers and propane, and all of the HVAC contractors suggested a two-head mini split system, which will heat, cool, and dehumidify at HALF THE PRICE of the radiant heat boiler and accessories full installation and a buried propane tank.

It is also sized so that it can heat, cool and dehumnidify both the new addition and the original garage- something I wouldnt have been able to do with the radiant heat.

I’m in the NW corner of CT, and Decker & Beebe is doing the install. I can post pics when it is complete in the next couple of weeks (I just gave them the deposit over the weekend, so they had to order the parts).

22. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    LOL - The LG marketing department has taken over this thread!
    Just kidding.
    You guys are convincing me. Looks like the small two-head LG system is only around $2k so its definitely a contender.
    Thanks!

23. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    There are plenty of other brands that are very similar, I have a Mitsubishi which has been great. Fujitsu also makes some nice ones.

24. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  25. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Don't do electric. It's not as efficient as base board or radiant. The oil burner may be good for recycling used oil and maybe you can still use those baseboard units? They can get beat up but if they are OK why trash them? Check for insulation and do that if needed. Huge improvement and fairly cheap.

I'm insulating my 1900-1923 carriage house and just finished the ceiling baffles. R19 was about $500 for the walls. I still have one big pack left but may need more to finish the ceiling. May finish it this fall. There is a gas line out there and I could use an electric space heater but they are not very efficient.