CST/ABS Failure | FerrariChat

CST/ABS Failure

Discussion in '360/430' started by carlos911c4s, May 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carlos911c4s

carlos911c4s Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    Honduras
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rosenthal
    Hi everybody and thanks beforehand for your help and knowledge.

I have a 2006 F430 spider with about 2085miles.

Everything was working wonderfully until recently when the cst light on the dashboard when on permanently, as well as the car icon with the up facing triangles and the CST light on the check screen as well.

Thinking it might be the battery I went and got a new one. Upon changing it the ABS and brake light we top on as well and my traction control does not work.

As there is no Ferrari dealer in my country, a friend who has a high end shop and I used a launch computer to scan it and erase faults. All the faults were erased. But as soon as I drove off the CST warnings as well as the ABS and Brake dash light came back to haunt me again.

Can anyone help out with probable causes and remedies?

2. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Could be something very simple or something very complex, if the car receives a signal voltage drop across a circuit (even a small drop) it assumes the worst, so making sure your battery is healthy is definitely a good starting position, also make sure the battery even a new one is on the conditioner. Next is it make sure all of your bulbs work (rear lights etc) as something as simple as a bulb out can cause this voltage differential, these are highly sensitive cars, then check fuses and then relays, if it’s ABS then ususally related to the braking system somewhere in the system. I had this and it turned out to be a simple faulty £13 relay switch on the rear brake lights. That’s my experience. Try these first.

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ...but what were the codes?

4. carlos911c4s

carlos911c4s Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    Honduras
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rosenthal
    Thanks for all the info! I put in a brand new optima red top just yesterday into the car.
    After the new battery the fault memory was erased an the code that popped up was U1706.

The screen made reference to U1706DTC.

I will check all relays and wires as well.

rheins2020 likes this.
  5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    U1706 is when the suspension module cannot communicate with the NFR (ABS module) over CAN bus. The wiring on these cars is quite robust, but if the issue persists you could check the multiplug at the ABS module as it is in a area of the car exposed to water/the elements, though at your mileage (and assuming the car has been garaged) it would be really unusual.

I'd be tempted to clear the codes again - from all modules including E-Diff, cluster, ABS, and TCU, and put some miles on the car and see how you go.

6. carlos911c4s

carlos911c4s Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    Honduras
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rosenthal
    Thanks! I’ve also read that the coil spiral behind the steering wheel tends to fail. Would anyone know the part number for it?

I will be checking the wiring today as well as the connections!

7. carlos911c4s

carlos911c4s Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    Honduras
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rosenthal
    So finally nailed it down to a failed ABS pump. Supposed to last 35,000 or so. Mine did 1600 miles. Sad!
    Now I need to buy one.
    Any suggestions are quite welcome please!

rheins2020 likes this.
  8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a good used one, from my car before I converted it to 16M. I will sell for 50% of new price inc. shipping.

ABS pumps have a design lifetime of a standard car, so at least 150k miles. It's unfortunate that yours failed - it does happen, but it's pretty rare.

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
  10. carlos911c4s

carlos911c4s Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    Honduras
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rosenthal
    Thanks hessank, they had the pump!

Mwstewart, I apologize I did not see your post earlier!

11. gmax66

gmax66 Rookie

Apr 25, 2015
    Hi Carlos, I have the same error U1706 in my 2009 F430 spider F1, do you have solve with a new pump? Thank you Marcello

Enviado desde mi SM-N986B mediante Tapatalk