CRYSTAL COVE INFO THREAD.......... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

CRYSTAL COVE INFO THREAD..........

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by darth550, Nov 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    A lot of the regulars refer to CC as going to church, so maybe not. How about Premier Auto Group Exotic Show
    Relatively Affluent Motorists Pissed At Getting Evicted
    Premier Auto Group Exotics Assembling Near The Spectrum
    Ferraris Underwhelm Cove King Ending Display

2. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Lol

3. jpress

jpress Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2005
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    What will the new name of the show be, PAG show?
    Will this thread sticky get released after Saturday?

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hell no, it's the PAS(Premiere Auto Show) :)

5. RMSTR6

RMSTR6 Rookie

Oct 5, 2006
  6. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Well, today we were trwing oujt some other names and CC2 sounded good, cuz wherever we end up, whether PAG or Rogue, we will have Coffee and Cars 2.

7. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Frank
    who taught u had to spoke

8. bb7110

bb7110 Karting

Jul 13, 2005
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Brenton B
    Rogue? Wheres Rogue?

9. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    #109 frank4cars, Oct 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/article_1312454.php

Saturday, October 14, 2006
    Auto meet finds parking space
    Ford Motor Co. welcomes car buffs to its design center as Saturdays at Crystal Cove, an informal, weekly event, stops.
    By JEFF OVERLEY
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

NEWPORT BEACH – The car show is dead. Long live the car show.

A weekly classic auto event known as Saturdays at Crystal Cove was to be held for the last time this morning, two weeks after the Irvine Co. told organizers they could no longer assemble at the Crystal Cove Promenade shopping center.

But the show won't be homeless for long. Executives at Ford Motor Co. are offering new digs at their Irvine design center, Marc Greeley, the show's co-founder, said Friday.

Company spokesman John Clinard confirmed the show will be at Ford starting Oct. 21.

The 3-year-old event, which began as a small get-together among friends, gradually mushroomed to include roughly 200 cars and 600 spectators, wearing out its welcome with the Irvine Co.

To avoid the same fate in the future, the show may rotate among several locations.

Greeley is in talks with Newport Beach officials for use of parking lots at the Balboa Pier and Main Beach in Corona del Mar. City Manager Homer Bludau said that the group can apply for a permit, but that ultimate approval would depend on resident input and a City Council sign-off.

A fourth location at Dana Point Harbor is also being considered, Greeley said.

CONTACT US: 714-445-6683 or [email protected]

11. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    sounds fun, instead of calling it PAG, just for the pics say "Premier Pics 10/21/06". I think that sounds better. Just my .02

hopefully i can make it to the premier of premier, i'll talk to my dad.

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Show hits road this morning
    Organizers of weekly car show near Crystal Cove have found new locale but want one closer to ocean.
    By Amanda Pennington

This morning marks the last day of a long-standing tradition for car enthusiasts who drive to Crystal Cove Promenade to meet for a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

But it isn't the end of the road for the self-proclaimed "car guys" who began meeting at the shopping center three years ago.

• Show hits road this morning
    • Rain, no parade
    • BRIEFLY IN THE NEWS
    • Area set aside as landmark

Next Saturday, Marc Greeley will drive one of his classic 1960s vehicles to the Ford Premiere Automotive Group in Irvine to start a new chapter in the life of the loosely organized car show.

"We're car people ourselves," said John Clinard, regional manager of Ford public affairs. "A great many of us have been going to the Crystal Cove event off and on for years."

The parking lot was offered to the car owners when the Ford representatives found out they weren't going to meet at Crystal Cove anymore. The property is owned by Ford and is not near any residential areas, which was one of the problems at the Crystal Cove Promenade. The site has a cafe that will open during the time the cars show up and will serve Starbucks coffee and baked goods, Clinard said. They're calling it "Cars and Coffee."

But that's not the end of the story for those who live in the area. They're still looking at other options closer to home and in a similar setting as the shopping center, which has sprawling ocean views. advertisement

Greeley and others involved have been talking with the cities of Newport Beach and Dana Point about possible locations closer to the water.

"What made Crystal Cove work was a combination of many things," including its closeness to the ocean and being in a new, "well-kept shopping center," Greeley said.

That being said, Greeley plans to go to the Ford property until they find a better spot.

"What it'll turn into is more of a hard-core car-guy event rather than something else," he said. "We're not going to see the ladies with their Chihuahuas in their arms walking through like we do at Crystal Cove."

Greeley will be sad to see the cars drive off the Crystal Cove Promenade parking lot one last time, but some Crystal Cove residents couldn't be happier.

After filing complaints with the Irvine Co. about noise created by the revving engines of the cars every Saturday, Al Landolph feels vindicated by their departure. His problem, he said, is not with the drivers, but with the noise their cars make.

"It's like living above the speedway — it has not been fun for the past two-plus years," he said. "While we appreciate their enthusiasm for cars … there's no reason to rev your engine at 5,000 RPM in the middle of a shopping center."

Even the idling of some of the cars was too noisy for neighbors, he said.

"When we all moved here, we signed on to live above the shopping center, and it's been a very harmonious relationship … but Saturdays have gotten out of control," he said.

Although Greeley said he's not happy about the decision, he's thankful the company hosted them as long as they did.

"I believe they're putting the brakes on a great community event, but … they did host us for 3 1/2years," Greeley said.

Irvine Co. spokesman Bill Rams said the show has outgrown the center's parking lot but wishes the car enthusiasts well in their quest for another location.

Congressman John Campbell said he's been trying to connect Irvine Co. representatives with the "car guys" to see if another property can be used for the weekly event. Rams said he didn't know that any talks had happened.

Crystal Cove "is a great location, but I understand the residents' issues there and the Irvine Co.'s sensitivity to that," Campbell said.

If the group is to use a city parking lot, they'll have to fill out a special-events permit so the city can determine whether their desired location would be appropriate.

For more information or to suggest a new location, e-mail Greeley at mgreeley@newport custom.com.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That's our story and we're sticking to it. ;) These guys live practically a stones throw from PCH, that's noisy 24/7 and their complaining about the odd revving engine on a Saturday AM? Isn't this like moving close to an airport and then bltch'n about the planes being too loud? Oh well, they won cause the Irvine Co. didn't want us there anyway.

14. TrophySophy

TrophySophy Karting

Oct 5, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Yeeeep, such statements can come from those who DON'T live in that area. For your information, the PCH noise is NOT an issue - you can barely hear it (if that), from at least the second level and above of the housing allocated above the shopping center.

Hopefully any new location which provides a limited access to spectators who just wonder around damaging the landscape and littering the lot will have a longer life.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Last time I checked you DON'T either ;) Whatever, it's history.

16. Adobo

Adobo Rookie

Apr 13, 2006
    So there will be no meet this Saturday at all?

I plan on checking this out for the first time, too bad it's over.

17. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, but now at the Ford place.

18. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  19. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #119 shaughnessy, Oct 17, 2006
  20. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #120 nocturne1, Oct 17, 2006
  21. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    So what happens to people who show up in a nice car to Starbucks at Crystal Cove on saturday morning?

22. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    They get sent to Guantanamo Bay as an enemy combatant. ;)

23. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Well, I think the smart thing to do would be to buy a cup of coffee and hang on to your receipt in case security tries to shoo you away. Of course your car should be fully legal (plates, registration, exhaust, etc.) to avoid any unwanted NBPD attention, you should park nose in instead of backing in, and avoid the 20 minute parking all together. And I have a feeling you wouldn't be lonely if you went over after C & C at PAG either. Say, around 9, 9:30 or so.

24. markh56

markh56 Rookie

Sep 7, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Hurwitz
    I beg to differ! I've restored many Ferraris and other European exotics over the years, so that probably qualifies me as a hard-core car-guy. Although I don't come to Ferrari chat much, I will continue to go to car gatherings and shows.
    My question is: what does Marc Greeley have a problem with, the ladies or chihuahuas? Seeing as I own both (wife who carries the chihuahua), I need to know who to leave at home..... :p

25. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

Although I posted that article, the author was from the Daily Pilot, a Costa Mesa/Newport Beach newspaper. Those are not my quotes.