360 - Crunching noises in low speed turns | FerrariChat

360 Crunching noises in low speed turns

Discussion in '360/430' started by C360S, Oct 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C360S

C360S Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Hi guys
    I have a CS which is recently starting to make crunching rotary noises when executing slow speed turns either left or right. Going straight and turns at higher speeds are ok. Is this due to my wheel bearings wearing out ?
    Cheers

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can it be the diff clutch disks ..did you recently change the type of gear oil used ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had a similar issue about 3 months ago, mine turned out to be the front brake discs and pads were needing replacement. Replaced and no strange noise anymore so maybe worth a check.

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    bad engine mounts is my vote

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Could it be CV joints? At times I've heard some sort of a similar noise. Low speed, turning at full lock into a parking space. Not always but concerning none the less.

6. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    pull off the wheel, check the brakes like lp360 suggested. I don't think this is it but worth a try. If noise is coming from the front, next remove the brake caliper and spin the hub with no pressure, then while pushing it, then while pulling it. it should spin smooth as butter, (though maybe not super easy) any grinding or rubbing feeling and you have a bad bearing. If you're unsure, take the other wheel/brake off and compare the two.

On my 430, I had some noise coming from the back during turning (I'm sure fast too just couldn't hear it) and it turned out to be a worn tierod. I replaced both and noise went away. Not sure if 360s have those or not. but it's worth a check.

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    How old are your tires and did this start with the drop in temperatures?
    Summer / Performance tires can make a rotational " crunching " type sound when cold on cold pavement when turning.
    Just a WAG on the internet!

S

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My 360 has about 26K miles. The brake pads were changed right before I bought it @ 21K miles. No track events just fun around town. I haven't had the time to check it out but it does sound like a suspension link of some sort. More of a light clunk instead of a "crunch". Only hear it on the rear-- that I can tell. Car tracks straight and true with no odd handling.
    I'm in Florida so tires almost never are "cold" and I only hear it after I have "heated" them up just fine ;)