Cruises? | FerrariChat

Cruises?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by tantumaude, Sep 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Searched, doesn't seem to be much on them here! My girlfriend and I are going on our third this October, a transatlantic from Barcelona to FLL on Harmony of the Seas, Royal Caribbean's biggest and greatest (or so they say).

I always thought cruises were for, well, old people (I'm 25). That said, we really enjoyed our first last fall (Singapore-Thailand-Vietnam), did a second this spring in the Caribbean. This one is obviously longer, but it'll be exciting to see whether all the hype about the ship is warranted. With so many ocean days and just two port calls, we'll really get to see all it has to offer.

Any insights, memorable moments or fellow passengers?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    CThruU
    No insight but be sure and report back here. My wife and I plan on a Trans-Atlantic trip in the next few years. We are doing San Fran to FLL via the Panama Canal next month. 8 sea days and 7 ports. That will be the highest number of sea days we've spent on a cruise.

As far as the above comment on ports: Always look for interesting private things to do at port. Don't just settle for activities the ship offers. They will be crowded and "touristy." Do some research and find an adventure, history, or leisure trip; bike tour; swim/beach; or anything else really. Look at it as a destination rather than a day in port. There's a lot to do while in port, and you don't have to deal with the cattle herd mentality of the cruise tours.

4. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Agreed about the ports. We jumped ship outside Bangkok and actually stayed at a university town (Bangsaen) overnight on our own, it was fantastic. Same thing in Vietnam.

Caribbean ports were 100% tourist traps, it was fun to walk around the towns (again, on our own) though. I'm hoping the two Spanish ports at which we will call this time will be better.

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Carnival provides onboard vouchers if you hold there stock. Something to look into if you cruise frequently.

My boss in Fort Lauderdale used to do repositioning cruises each year. He said it was much different than a "normal" cruise.

6. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Interesting--I'll definitely look into that.

Yes, I think the length combined with off-season and open routing will attract a much more seasoned crowd. Definitely looking forward to that aspect.

7. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Here is my pocket guide for cruise lines. I've been on almost all of them. (I've posted this before here in a few other threads.)

Carnival = Motel 6
    Royal Caribbean = Holiday Inn
    Norwegian = Hilton
    Holland America = Marriot
    Princess Cruises = Hyatt
    Celebrity = W Hotel
    Regent/Oceania = Four Seasons
    Crystal Cruises = Ritz Carlton
    Windstar/Silversea/Seaborne = Like a small 5-star boutique hotel

The higher you go toward the middle to end of that list the better experience, food, destinations, accommodations, service, pax-to-crew ratio, amenities, clientele, etc...

In my opinion, Celebrity is the best bang for your buck. It's not a floating frat house, and you won't have to mortgage your home to sail.

8. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    The above list looks pretty accurate to me! I've been on dozens of cruises since the late 80's. I spent last Xmas & NYE on the Oceana Regatta, and booked this year's holidays on the Oceana Riviera. From my experience with Crystal, I would put Oceana between Crystal and Windstar/Silversea/Seaborne.

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've done both Crystal and Regent multiple times. There is virtually no difference between the two. They are, as you said, like floating Fuor Seasons or Ritz Carltons. Fantastic service and excellent meals.

10. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    What websites do you guys prefer when booking cruises?

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Search them from any online travel agent.

Book them, however, directly from the cruise line. They will often give you upgrades, onboard credits, cheap flights, or other perks.

Plus, there's no third party involved if something goes wrong.

Matt

12. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    This, although we've used interline rates due to our airline connections.

Cruisecritic's site has also been great for last-minute (read: one-three months away) deals

13. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    +1 we did the celebrity 7 day Alaskan cruise 2 years ago and will be on the Caribbean cruise in April. Of all the cruises i have been on this was the best , it may have helped that i was in the Royal suite with a butler however.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I have never been on a Carnival cruise (have seen their ships) but I can guarantee they are not a Motel 6 equivalent.
    They couldn't stay in business if they were.

I go to Vacationstogo.com and Cruisesonly.com

15. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    The clientele makes it seem so.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I HAVE been on a Carnival cruise. It's a party cruise.

The hot tubs and buffets were fairly disgusting. People drink all day in the hot tub without ever leaving to urinate.

I'd say motel 6 is about right.

Matt

17. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    +1