Cross country drive....Florida to California....Ferrari style...who's IN??? | FerrariChat

Cross country drive....Florida to California....Ferrari style...who's IN???

Discussion in 'Florida' started by ILuv4Res, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So, several of us were talking earlier tonight about how f'king crazy, but amazingly fun it would be to do a cross country run from Florida to California in our Ferrari's...(via Georgia, Tenn, Colorado, Arizona/Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and accross Cali, etc, etc..) .........

It would take about a week, but would really be a trip of a lifetime to do something like this. Think about it......Only a small fraction of the population of the world ever get to own a Ferrari, and of those people, only a small number of those people really drive and enjoy them. How great would it be to look back on an accomplishment that few people can ever claim they did (drive from coast to coast), and even fewer that can claim they did in a Ferrari..........

If we can get 6 people to commit to doing this, we can get a full transport truck to ship the cars back so it would work out a bit less expensive.

Likely the best time to do this would be in the spring/summer.........

SO..........who's IN for this???

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Fred, you mean a group of Ferrari to actually drive to California from Florida?!
    You really mean to load them up on a truck (may be an open truck to enhance the experience) and then get them out of the truck in California, putter around a bit in California and then back on the truck to Florida, right ?!

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm trucking the F40 to CA in Aug

I'd rather drive my Z06 cross country than my F40 :)

4. Bullitt1

Bullitt1 Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nah, just get Tim Stanford to follow along in a truck with a mobile lift, you should all be fine :)

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    One of the scenarios we talked about was to arrive in Cali in time for the Concorso Italiano.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It would certainly be an epic trip! There are lots of boring miles between the coasts, but with Ferrari power even those miles could be memorable.
    When my brother and I took his Ginetta from Minneapolis to Scottsdale last summer there was probably 75% boring miles, but the trip was fun overall. We took a cross country trip in 2005 that went from here through the GA & NC mountains then through Chicago, across the northern plains of the Dakotas, then through Glacier national park and the Canadian rockies, then south from Vancouver through Washington state and Oregon. Great scenery, almost no traffic, and some major cities along the way. It was awesome, we drove home through southern Utah (some of the best scenery in the US) and covered about 11,500 miles in 4 weeks.
    The cross country trip would be good as long as you don't go through I-10 through Texas, that is almost 1,000 miles of blah!
    Would I be "IN"? Tentatively, yes.
    BT

7. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Well, sort of both........DRIVE them out there - yes, all the way from Florida to California!!! Then, spend some time driving in Cali. Ship them back on a truck.

8. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    #8 RobertM, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    We did discuss driving up and shipping the cars back; then flying home. This would be a trip of a lifetime, need to clear it with wifey.
    We can call it = The Freddy Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee = ) cannon ball :)

cannon ball . . . . . . .cannon ball . . . . . cannon ball . . . . . NOW you say it . . . . . CANNON BALL . . . CANNON BALL . . . . .

9. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fred,

Sounds like a great idea and would be a hell of an adventure and memorable trip but not so sure Id like to drive a sports car as small as our cars that trip. I would probably rather go to the track for the wkd or plan a trip to the mountains. I would really love to tour the states but I think I would rather get a fun crowd and an RV. Definitely applaud you all for thinking of it and would love to see you all conquer it.

Dave

10. F430WPB

F430WPB Karting

Dec 21, 2009
    Where in Florida will this start?

I would love to go!

I'm sure my co workers at Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale will understand why I take a few days off :)

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    512TR would be much better for a trip like this than an F40

Having my choice of any Fcar for this trip, other than a 512TR I might choose a 550 or a 456

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Obviously I am Ferrariless, but IF I had a choice to pick any Ferrari for such a trip it would be a 166MM. Of the newerish cars I would take a 328, then a 430/360 spider. If I was taking a passenger along then maybe a 550 would be ideal. Top down / off motoring is where it is at for me, comfort is good for the other 51 weeks of the year.
    I have thought of taking a four week trip all over the continent for a few years, hopefully I'll get to do that at some point.
    :)
    BT

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Tom Arnold just sent me a PM that he regrets not being able to go. If he had more advanced notice it would have definitely been a go for him...
    ;)
    BT

14. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Ferrariless??? Please explain.

15. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    And return back to Florida with your Limo

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #16 BT, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    Sold the 348 in May. :( :( :(
    The Ginetta would work though!
    I could be a pace car and check the roads while the Ferrari crowd did high speed segments on the otherwise boring miles. Not that it is a race... If I went I would likely just drive back and stay with family at a few stops along the way (AZ and TX). I'm cheap you know...
    :)
    BT

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I recently did the I-10 through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Barely missed a 20+ car fiery pileup south of Phoenix due to blowing dust. Not that its boring, just unpredictable.

But then blowing dust is a problem even north of I-10. The Flagstaff route is beautiful, but then you have to deal with northern Texas. Dust blowing there, OK, eastern Colorado.

18. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    There is an outside chance, but I'll try to keep this in play.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #19 italiafan, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    I would absolutely love to do this in my 550!.......and as much as I will fantasize about this trip now...I know I'll chicken out.....why am I such a p*ssy?
    :(

20. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    This is a great idea, I've been wanting to pull a cross country for years. This year I did PA to TX in my new truck, where it got "outfitted" then TX to FL a few weeks later to get it home.

PA to TX was with an overnight in Nashville (twelve hours each leg, roughly) and TX to FL was with an overnight in New Orleans (twelve hours and fourteen hours).

I found twelve hour drives a bit too long, ideally six or eight hours would be best to give you time to sleep in a little and have a nice dinner when you get to your destination, and maybe see a few of the sights.

My only concern would be breakdowns along the way; Ferraris are not known for their reliability...

..If you guys end up doing it I may be interested- it depends on how much time I'd have to take off work- I already have two vacations planned for next year and am running out of free time.

21. peter mac

peter mac Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    we are absolutely on for it........as long as we take the limo and Fred does all the driving

22. rvogco

rvogco F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Ronnie
    I am tentatively in. Let me know dates!

23. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    No problem guys..except I already shipped the 550 to LA..hmmm..the boxer? anyone care if I take the gt3rs? anyway, whats really important is i have ticket lawyers in every state along the way!

24. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If this happens, I would love to try and ride along with someone.

25. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Time wise, I may be able to do it only end of June, July or August.