HOU - Cromodora Refinish | FerrariChat

HOU Cromodora Refinish

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Tonza, Dec 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Does anyone know who in the area can properly refinish cromodoras?

I have some old 7 1/2” x 15” center lock wheels on my boxer that are in need of a refinish. Paint has built up over years and they need to be media blasted and repainted. Based on my research it seem the fact that these are some sort of magnesium alloy makes them a bit trickier to work with.

If there is no good shop locally, let me know if y’all have experience with some other shops I can maybe send them off to??

Thanks!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would see if Moorespeed in Austin can recommend someone.

WheelsAmerica will "do any wheel" for $175 each...but I would be very clear about what you are handing them, and make sure the required Zinc Chromate is the first step, going back, or even throttle back the media blasting to "stop at the OEM silver layer"..

It's giving them to some low paid helper that is where it all goes wrong. IMO
    I'm about to bribe my Body Shop to shoot all of mine but they have to be prepped PERFECT as I bring them thru the door.

That's how I know all the layers of paint...LOL!

I can show you some shiny clear coated 16" where the corrosion is running under the paint, like termite tracks......sigh

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    All modern wheels are actually aluminum alloys, but the OEM Ferrari castings were "high magnesium content" comparatively, as are the vintage gearboxes.

The Cliff's Notes version of all our discussion here is that coatings are more like aviation than normal street grade stuff.
    Especially compared to modern wheels.

4. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    #4 Tonza, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Ok - so clearly this is an issue that pops up down the road if not done properly.

I would think there would be an expert at this in the area but I suppose it’s a limited market for wheel refinishing.

I also reached out to Moorespeed to see if they have a suggestion or perhaps do this work.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He has taken cars to Goodwood..he should know....