Crisis hitting Vintage market? All signs are there | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Crisis hitting Vintage market? All signs are there

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by JazzyO, Mar 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
  2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Their estimate was very reasonable. It was a great buy. Alll I'm saying is that Aston's are Way Down from where they were a year ago.

No question some of it is AUD/USD but it's a stunning fall from the top.

3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    11/14/2008-Automotive News:
    Four maufacturers announced that they will pull out of the 2009 North American International Detroit Auto Show. These maufacturers will not have any displays whatsoever. The 4 manufacturers are Land Rover, Suzuki, Rolls Royce and Ferrari. Note 3 of the 4 maufacturers are considered high line vehicles.

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Onno, I agree with your thoughts to a point, but consumer confidence relates not to just Fcars. When the main stream media and all other sources keep informing the masses of how bad the markets are, this can not help. Let's face it Wall Street and other markets are effected by people's perception of where we are headed. Therefore what's heard does make the consumer act accordingly. When a consumer decides not to spend on certain goods or serviced, this has a ripple effect on all markets. I think we should all stop talking about it and this way based on what you said "prices would already have gone through the floor" you can pick up that Dino you want for $80K and I can pick up a 275 GTB/4 for $250K...

Gene.

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Interesting, but if it was L.A. and not Detroit that they were pulling out of it would be even more telling.

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Gene, always nice to hear your perspective, and you know I respect your opinion. I know that consumer confidence relates not just to F-cars, but we can't discuss all the various issues in this section of F-chat. And in a way your point highlights my way of thinking - the crisis is so much bigger than just F-cars, and what we say here doesn't influence the big picture. But we can influence the F market for the better, and I think we do. I really do think so. If I pick up that Dino for $80K, and you pick up that 275 for $250k then we have prevented those cars from going to lower prices. Of course I realise that enthousiasts don't make up for the entire market, but we still have an important role out there.

Anyway, I was happy to let my thread lie dormant - I'm sorry it was revived! Let's just wait and see what happens.

Onno

7. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Guys: Facts are that consumer debt now is 380% of GDP, that GDP is in significant compression, the historical percentage is 180%, it will take years to restore this to equilibrium. Bottom line: We are only in the middle of the first act of a three act tragedy. M

8. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Shhhhh!!
    Stop talking about it! You're going to make things worse!!

9. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Death, taxes and that Internet chat room convesations do not cause the rotational speed of the earth to change. That's what I'm sure about.

Sorry to say this, but you are wrong about this being a naive way of thinking. In fact, my very point is that believing that posts here saying that we are in a down (or up) market causes markets to move in that direction is naive. Other than that, I agree with you. Such conversations probably do make people more cautious (not a bad thing), but they alone do not make the market go down (nor do they make the market go up by themselves) unlike what some here seem to believe. I also see the current situation as a buying opportunity, not just in cars but in various areas of financial markets such as stocks, real estate, etc.

Alberto

10. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    +10.....We haven't even seen the worse of it yet....
    Let's re-visit this discussion one year from now and see where the market will be?

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Sorry, but a DB6 never could have (or never will) fetch $2 million. You must be thinking of another car.

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably no surprise though that GM has pulled out of L.A.

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    That is exactly what I was saying.

Onno

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    1967 Volante, Droptop, with Vantage engine which was very rare. In the UK when the GBP was 2X USD I think they did.

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Short chassis Volante; I think only 35 or 36 were produced. My dad andI were sooo close to buying the one but last, LHD example in London in 1975, for the pricely sum of GBP 35000. Beautiful automobile.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#267 dwhite, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Yep, so did Buffett when he bought GS and GE at bargain rates with what we all thought were fantastic terms. No one here or anywhere else knows where the markets are heading near term and for that matter, 5 years from now, things are just to volitile worldwide.

I have some speculative bets on, as I'm sure we all do, but I can't be absolutly positive I will be up in 5 years.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    L.A. today, the rest of the U.S.A. tomorrow.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Within the last week no fewer than eight (8) different Ferrari 275 GTB/4 have been offered by various owners to one and the same auction house, to be auctioned asap.

Marcel Massini

20. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert

Hi, Marcel included this very nice orignal 0409gt ?
    on these auktion i mean ?
    please let me know.
    I can hardly wait to see it

ciao
    cornelis