Crisis hitting Vintage market? All signs are there | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Crisis hitting Vintage market? All signs are there

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by JazzyO, Mar 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I really hate this thread. It is like a bad accident on the highway where you just have to slow down and look. I click on in hopes of seeing some info abut a car that sold or something interesting. I am looking forward to this market stablzing so I do not need to read posts by fenzoman. Every single post of his has been negative about Ferrari.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I've seen a few cars with them. I've also seen rear window defoggers and even a sun roof.

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Well, then at least you have had a good 6 months because there has been precious little activity in this thread since May. It is funny, though, that there were plenty of people who called a declining market "poppycock" and "wishful thinking" when I first started this thread all those months ago.

Honestly, I don't understand why some people take offense when people discuss the market going down. It's just reality. Deal with it. Or better yet, use the opportunity.

Onno

4. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    #229 275gtb6c, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    Mine has, but a rather rare option on a 275 gtb, more in the 330 and luxury cars. They work pretty well and are quite handy.

About the market going up (or down), it is now time to enjoy and drive the car rather than keep the princess in shape for the next auction. I think the real enthousiasts will keep the cars away from the market and mainly crap or much lesser cars will show up, causing even a higher (but relevant) decrease in market direction opinion. I am always looking for interesting cars but the last few month none showed up. And those who did are sold very good (or introduced in a mist, like the 250 Europa..:)

And Matt, indeed Fenzoman (or whoever) is pretty negative all the time, probably a dealer with need for fleed....But start counting the value only when you want to sell, for now, buy a Dino!

ciao
    Oscar

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I believe that Battista Pininfarina's personal 275 had a sun roof were there others?

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I saw one in NY with one but not sure how many there were. Looked a bit ugly to me for some reason.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Never a bad thing to buy a Dino. :)

Onno

8. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hello Onno,
    Driving one is even better......Although it misses some torgue but in the (very) high rev's the sound and feeling is very nice. But I must admit that next to a (5 years older!) 275 gtb the Dino is a smaller and less emotional car to drive. Besides this, the looks are fantastic...

(nothing to do with the money and market)

ciao
    Oscar

9. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Hello Oscar: Comparing a 275GTB V12 vs a Dino 246 V6, I am sure the V12 is the big brother. My understanding was that Dino, albeit with lesser torque, was made with intent as high reving use, where the car is the happiest. Front V12 vs mid V6 are different categories with different intent and purpose. Needless to say, both are wonderful. Forgot to mention that the earlier Dino 206 had even less torque than 246 and consequently 206 is a very high rev happy automotive experience. Just my opinion. w/ smiles Jimmy

10. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Jimmy,
    (isnt Japan sleeping right now?). Of course it is comparing apples and pears...But anyway it keeps the attention of these hopeless discussion about markets, prices, future ans glass bowls. I see you have a nice collection yourself and you should know the difference between a v6 and v12. The first time I drove an older car than the Dino I was amazed by the driving experience. Much more intense than expected (and more classy/racey/emotion than the Dino). Don't get me wrong, the Dino is great fun and very forgiven to drive.
    ciao
    Oscar

11. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Good morning Oscar: It is 08:30 AM Nov. 15, here in Japan. Would love to "fall into the older F cars". Little out of my means at this moment. Hopefully in the future. Yes, I agree these "older" cars are very involving and I love the "total balance" of the driving experience. Your collection is something I would love to look forward to. Thank you for the reply. w/ smiles Jimmy

12. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    #237 pauls, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
    I've been watching this Lusso on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-250-GT-L-Lusso-1964-Ferrari-250-GT-L-Lusso_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a10Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160298020171QQitemZ160298020171QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks.

It was offered for sale without a buyer before it hit eBay. The dealer is a knowlegable striaight up person. The car is a fine older restoration. There have been 5 rejected offers and the car sits. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with this car.

I recieved this email on 10/21/08 on the same car:

This Ferrari 250 GT/L "Lusso" was a normal production model ordered and sold new by the authorized Ferrari Dealer, Charles Rezzagi (Rezzagi Motors, San Francisco, California.)

The original colors were red with a black interior. (During restoration the interior was changed to tan.)

The original owner is not known but the second owner was Oakland, California resident and well know Ferrari Collector / Enthusiast Wiliam S. Hook.

Hook owned and maintained this Ferrari from 1966 until July of 1993 when it was acquired by Bruce Trennery's Fantasy Junction in Emeryville, California and then offered for resale with this description:

"1964 Ferrari 250GT/L Lusso, red with black interior. Purchased in California in 1966 by present owner. Rebuilt engine, new paint and leather, and rebuilt Borranis all within last 6,000 miles. Excellent unmolested example with tools and records.

In December of 2003 the car was sold by Micheal Sheehan to a client in Japan.

In 2007, purchased by our company in Japan and then sold to a long-term West-Coast client.

This Ferrari Lusso was recently traded back to us and now available for inspection, purchase and world-wide delivery.

This is a completely documented, four-owners from new, "matching number" example that has covered 77,359 miles since new.
    It is fully restored from "front to back, top-to-bottom" and in need of nothing but a new home.

Offered at $795,000 or approximately £450,000 / 590,000 Euros. (This Ferrari is approved for EEC importation at only 5% VAT and is duty free.)

Please email or ring me for a complete set of inspection photos or to discuss additional details regarding the possible purchase of this Ferrari

Warm regards,

The price has been lowered south of 100k.

I believe something is going wrong with the market and this is just the loosening of the denial.

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #238 JazzyO, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
    I haven't driven one yet but the shop where I bought my Boxer does a lot of Dinos and it is my sworn intent to take one for a test drive in Spring. I'm very curious after them, and perhaps one will grace (right verb) my garage one day.

They're absolutely gorgeous, Oscar, you're right there. My favourite bit of the Victory by Design DVD is where Alain de Cadenet makes a point of talking us through all the various Dino engined cars. From Gregor Fisken's 246S that he drives through South Kensington (maybe my favorite Ferrari), via the F1 from the Mike Hawthorn era through to the 246GTB he drives off in, it's just lovely. He speaks about it so passionately and he is so knowledgeable. "Whenever you get a chance to drive one of these little Dinos, I suggest you take it". I'll remember that, Alain.

But, all things being equal, they are a bit on the expensive side, especially considering how many were made.

Onno

14. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    This thread is no good.. The more headlines and the more negative things we see written the more likely it is that it will happen.. Better not to write anything..

:)

n

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I find it amusing that people's ego's are such that they believe that posting about prices going up or down somehow affects the market at-large. Conversly, I find it surprising that some think that what others say about pricing trends on F-Chat can affect the market overall. The market is much more diverse, large, and unmovable than that and F-Chat threads have, if anything, minute effect on overall market prices. Whether it is talked about or not on this or any internet forum will neither make it so, nor keep it from happening.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    damn Alberto; I'm crushed! Are you sure about this?

Tritone

17. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    not about egos.. its market psychology.. If every paper and media writes about a market dropping.. People will act accordingly and so the market will drop ( any market)

Ni

18. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    Someone mentioned Japan.. How is that market now?... it seems a bit a sleep doesnt it? Has the money gone? :)
    Euro has gone up 15 per cent against the dollar since this summer so not so cheap for us anymore to shop in the Us.

N

19. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Profound!!

20. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Maybe in Sweden.

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Sorry to say this but I see that as a naive way of thinking. Like not talking about it will prevent it from happening. The economic malaise affects the Ferrari market, whether you talk about it or not. The only thing that will come from talking about it is, is softening the blow. I know plenty of people that see this downturn as an opportunity, and I am one of them. This means that myself and likeminded people are in the market for classic F's, thus preventing the market collapsing fully as we start buying when prices have softened a bit. I am certain there will be much less of a drop than we saw in the early 90ies, precisely BECAUSE people talk about it on the internet. Without discussions like these prices would already have gone through the floor.

Onno

22. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    I'd agree there's little to be gained from a series of guys posting "The market has tanked" but discussing recent auction results, asking prices and generally informed market discussion must be of value.
    There's little point in trying to stifle that discussion particularly at a time when there's change taking place. Seems obvious there's no single F-car market and thus inevitable a thread appear for each individual group of interest from vintage to new. Trick is to focus on actual results, imho.

23. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    good results here,not great prices but cars sold "the DD Lotus F1 cars" Bonhams goodman.

24. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    #249 Modeler, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    $485K AUD for a Vantage Volante Aston is a VERY cheap price. Those have sold for almost $2MM USD!! That one was a screaming bargain.

In USD all of them were.

http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/lot_details.php?lot=71393&view=results&year=2008&offset=0

Cheers!