Creating a Video Game | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Creating a Video Game

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Baasha, Sep 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    If it is a common game you may be able to find it open source.

You may have to decide if you want it done in C++/Java/VB, etc.

Make sure in whatever you do you set a strict deadline and make the deadline way before you actually need it, odds are they'll go over the time.

I'd go with a set amount for the project (which is all you can do on rentacoder, not sure about elance).

2. CGIEGER

CGIEGER Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Gieger
    Perhaps the first move would be to get connected with someone (like Doody) who has "been there, done that" so that you reap the benefits of all the lessons learned - enabling you to make the most of whatever $ you can put into it. A lot of $ can be wasted taking your lumps on a new, uncharted area.

I would post a new thread, ad, or whatever somewhere looking for a project manager or architect with gaming experience that could work with you develop your idea. You could have “qualified” respondents sign a simple NDA so that you can share your idea in confidence with them and who knows maybe someone may even agree to partner with you for nothing more than a piece of the potential pie.

3. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I just finished up having someone build me a web app off of RentACoder. The experience went really well.

Just make sure you have very good documentation, and pick someone you're comfortable with. I would bid the job out on a project basis, you could probably do $200 and get away with it.

Just be wary of the indian guys bidding $50 for it, they are just doing that to get the initial bid. If you go with someone from India, you have to be VERY explicit in what you want. They're sharp programmers, but can not problem solve and only do what is told. I have learned this from a lot of experience...

4. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Can any of those code platforms be used to create a game? Part of my program is already written, in VB, so really I'm looking for someone to fix the bugs and kinks out of it.

Good point.

5. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Is a standard NDA all that is needed to retain IP rights or is an additional contract that outlines the terms more clearly required? It was my impression that an NDA only says "don't share this info" but may not stop the second-party from improving upon the idea and having their own IP.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    As someone who is in the business of making video games, I can tell you, the chances of you hitting some kind of lotto jackpot (from $1-$1m) are significantly higher than selling an idea. And just like the film business, an idea goes through so many iterations that often time in the end, the final result doesn't resemble the initial concept.

Additionally, even if you managed to put together the funds (VC or otherwise) to develop the game, you'll run into a whole host of issues.

First off, just doing any kind of non-puzzle game (simulator, action game, character based platform game) on next-generation hardware (X360, PS3) you best budget $12-$20m just in development fees (office space, equipment, licenses, insurance, employees, etc). Oh, plan on managing ~ 40-80 people to do your development of the game (programmers, artists, managers, etc)

Second, there's the development time. Most people are shocked to find out it takes an average of 18 - 24 months from start to finish to develop a game. Use existing code base (an 'engine') or other off the shelf tooling (it's never that simple), you might shave 3-5 months off your development time.

Third, unless you plan on publishing and distributing it yourself (plan another $20m for marketing, manufacturing, other ancillary costs), you best hope your game is so kick ass that a major publisher wants to pick it up and distribute, and that'll cost you money off the back end.

I haven't even mentioned that programmers and artists are at a premium, there is a shortage in the industry. Plus starting up a new company and attracting top name talent, incredibly difficult to do unless there are seasoned veterans to attract people there.

I'm grossly over simplifying the process and costs, but that's what it takes in a nutshell. I've been developing games from the Gameboy, NES, and Sega Genesis from '92 to now (X360, PS3), and it ain't easy. In fact, it's significantly harder to develop a game for a reasonable cost. Back when I got into games, it cost $125k, 6-8 months, and a meager 40,000 units to break even. Now, with costs today, 750,000 is the break even point, meaning you either sink or swim. Unlike films, games have ONE shot. Films can have theatrical, pay per view, dvd, syndication, airline, hotel, blah blah blah, in other words, many different ways to recoup their money. Games is a one shot deal.

Can you be successful selling an idea? Anything is possible. What are the chances? Just a nickel shy of non-existant. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and the majority of the time, the ideas are never more than a few ideas collected as one game idea. It's incredibly difficult to flush an idea out into a full design with all the rules in place and ensure that it is fun in the end.

Best of luck (anything is possible).

7. CGIEGER

CGIEGER Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Gieger

I would start with a standard NDA and then have a lawyer look at it so it protects you the way you want to be protected.

8. CGIEGER

CGIEGER Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Gieger
    Looks like Jet X may be a good person to at least show your idea to...if not more.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This is where I'd start.