Creatine | FerrariChat

Creatine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GatorFL, Aug 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Anybody use it? I've been working out consistently recently, the aches and pains are pretty crummy. I'm told creatine helps in speeding recovery and I am interested in trying some. I'm 38, 190#'s and my workouts consist of a 3+mile run and some time in the Nautilus room at the gym. Probably looking to lose body fat and gain endurance, I am thinking about long-distance running again. I have a training checklist for a half-marathon which seems doable in 6 months. Any advice on creatine or other recovery aids would be appreciated.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've heard that creatine can help in the rehealing of muscles faster. However, you can also take BCAA's and Glutamine's.

I'm not really sure of what all is involved taking creatine, but I know you need to drink lots and lots of water. At least a gallon a day, plus. From what I've read anyway.

Check out bodybuilding.com for to search for more information.

3. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Creatine will not help that much with cardio excersises it is much more effective for heavy lifting. I would suggest you take purple wrath or extend which will help with recovery a lot more.

Good Luck

4. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    It was first used by German in olympics around ww2 time cant remember exact date. It supersaturates the muscles with water creating a cell volumizing effect thus in theory speeding recovery after creating demand through weights. You will gain first week about 5 lbs of water weight, from then on you will notice your strength go up 15% so thats where the help comes in, lifting heavy and gaining muscle mass. Not a bad idea short time to gain power, but its mental don't take it for the pump but rather more power. I would avoid the dosage recommendation no more than 2-3 servings during loading first week, from then on once per day max, drink plenty fluids. Keep in mind your body will stop producing it until you are off it for 40 days, you get creating from beef and other meats naturally but in small dosage. There have been reports of kidney stones so proceed with caution. I like to use it maybe 1 time a year max to bring up my strength curve no need for more unless you are competing. EAS is good stuff btw I have heared celltech is good also drink.

5. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Cell tech is over priced and states outrageous claims.

Size on is cheaper www.bodybuilding.com it can be purchased off there for about $47 I believe. You only need to take it on workout days and intra workout. Honestly though I don't it would benefit you in the type of exercise you seem to be doing. If you do supplement with creatine take in plenty of water (over a gallon).

6. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1

I've never read any positive reviews for Celltech.

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I think I'm going to skip it. Other than the multivitamin I take in the morning I've never taken a supplement. As I age (I guess) recovery seems to be an issue, 20 years ago I might have been sore but it was bearable. It's bearable now too, just much worse than when I was younger. Aging sucks!

8. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Probably thats marketing for you. I have never tried celltech only EAS and its about $30 bucks. If I am not mistaken Physicians prescribe Creatine for weight gain in patients who are underweight. I felt underweight when I took it first some 10 years ago and only took it a few times during the last 10 years personally do not recommend using it unless you are skinny etc or wish to experiment once.

regards

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Being unsure, I would lay off then. Check out BCAA's and Glutamine to aid in recovery. There are protein powders that do not have creatine in them, but do contain BCAA's and Glutamine in them. You could give them a try.

10. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    +1 I concur.

11. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Yea if you go to GNC apparently they make good money off pushing Muscle tech products... Cell tech is one. So they get hyped up a lot but there are better choices out there. I agree though it does give quick strength gains but can make one look bloated at first so not always better.

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd stay away from GNC at all costs. They don't leave you alone and try to focus you in on one or two products. The ones that give them the highest commission.

I like The Vitamin Shoppe. Never pressured, just tell me to ask if I have any questions, and are always friendly. Even try the other Supplement shops as well.

13. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I actually try to always use bodybuilding.com. Apparently they even price match, although I haven't actually tried.

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've never ordered from them, but hear they are very quick.

I was just talking about stores nearby, if you like to browse. :)

15. Detour_racing

Detour_racing Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The best supplement prices are through the internet. I buy everything through www.vitaglo.com or www.luckyvitamin.com and I do a lot of work with one the the biggest manufactures and these prices are better than I can get direct.

16. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I take 10grams in my post work out shake.

Been taking it for years.

17. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I take 5mg of SAN creatine ethyl-ester before my workout, and 5mg along with 5mg glutamine and a half teaspoon of taurine post.

And in my opinion, CellTech is such garbage. I took it for a day before I threw it away. Made me feel bloated, sick, etc.

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Creatine is one of those supplements where the jury is still out on it's real benefits. And more importantly, other side affects that may come with it. I'd seek alternative, more traditional venues.

19. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    You get creatine from meat products. Steak has 2.5 grams and sea food has some as well. Difference is your body shuts down producing-delivering it from food once you ingest it via supplement. I would say in Moderation(I mean loosly) it can be safe. Indirectly it can create a cusioning effect in combat sports if your muscles are saturated with water one positive attribute besides the speedy recovery and strength gain.

Side effects from rumos over the years are kidney stones and dehydration and ofcourse addiction and abuse.

20. j_lomax

j_lomax Karting

Nov 21, 2007
    Wellington, New Zeal
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Creatine affects the ATP system(short energy burst). That is why it is effective for people doing weights because you are using short burst of energy when you lift. For example:

Creatine would be excellent for a sprinter as they are using there ATP system for running as they are only runnning a short distance at maximum effort.

Whereas creatine would not enhance the performance of an endurance runner because they are using there Aerobic system which focuses on using medium effort over a long period of time.

So in short creatine affects the maximum effort you can do.

With Creatine you will find that your rest times between sets will be shorter and muscle fatigue will also be reduced thus enabling you to do more weight and for longer too.

I Train alot soo yeah I've done it heaps and it is very good.

Now as for side effects, Most of the things I hear are exageratd. Side effects can Include serious bloating(that is because you retain more water, so you should drink more too), Muscle cramping and stiffness in the muscles if you do not stretch properly after training.

But the gains you can get from creatine are phenomenal so I'd recommend it.

21. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I take 10grams every day right after workout. My good friend started EAS which was the first company to bring Creatine to the market.

I should tell him to jump on this thread. He is the one that old me about the 10 grams. He sold EAS and no longer works for them. But he himself takes it after workout.

Can you guys show me clinical studies on any negative effects on Creatine or are you guys just assuming this stuff because someone told you.

22. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #22 SefacHotRodder, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    You should really consider a fishoil supplement in addition to your multivite. While i can't say i feel the difference, from what i've been reading, its extremely beneficial to your body.

I take it with my multivite and some other workout stuff every morning

btw, www.easypricematch.com is a great site. I buy all my stuff from a friend but when he doesn't have something or i need it on the fly i get it from there. They price match any website and usually have the best prices

23. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Ah I remember when Bill Phillips introduced Creatine Monohydrate into the market. He has contributed to the health field in many ways I read his book when I was 18.

According to University of Maryland the potential for side effects and interactions with medications are possible as with any supplement and in case operator error. It is to early to say what problems may arise. Mixing creatine with ephedra Cimetidine, Diuretics, NSAIDs, and Probenecid are known to be problems.

I have used it for 4 years straight, now off for 6 but plan on taking it again in cycle. If you live long enough you will get cancer.

Supporting evidence.
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/creatine-000297.htm

24. nitroglyn

nitroglyn Rookie

Nov 9, 2008
    Isn't Creating bad for your heart? (supplements to work out)

25. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    yes