Crave Luxury in Texas has nother 400 on ebay. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Crave Luxury in Texas has nother 400 on ebay.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dogdoc97, Jan 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Guys am I wrong or this car has a 308 rear bumper on it? Looks weird!! No the correct bumper for sure.

2. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    Ha. Yes. Weirdly small rear bumper! Good catch!

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting, I was wondering what that was. My understanding is that a lot of these cars needed air pumps in order to get federalized (this one apparently was done by Amerispec) but that they didn't usually last too long after that process was done. I know that my car passed CT emissions easily during the years before it became exempt without an air pump.

I also just noticed this car has no rear side marker lights, which looks nice. Strange for a U.S. federalized car to still have its air pump but no rear side marker lights.

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Don't forget "what ho" as a greeting (not what you probably thought it meant!)

5. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Is this the correct response?

Bertie Wooster: Aunt Dahlia! What ho, old blood relation!
    Aunt Dahlia: Hello, Bertie, revolting young blot.

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I suspect the interior has had a re-spray on the leather.
    This one needs close scrutiny

7. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Issues with bumpers on both ends and no collision history? How does that happen? All of those work receipts (50K) might reveal more than just maintenance.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Frankly I'm amazed you guys aren't all blown up about the fact that a car with 20k+ miles on it required an engine out service.

9. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    when I read that on the auction site details I was wondering what would require that; would a front end impact have been a reason, or could have some major components just failed early which does happen in lots of cars.

Hell my brothers BRAND NEW JAG XFR had the ECU go out after a week; SH-- does happen.

Is this car even worth $500 for a PPI at this point noting what you guys see? Doc

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The engines in this series of cars have a reputation of being fairly bullet-proof. So an engine out service would be very unusual on a +/-20,000 mile car. I'd sure want to see the stack of service invoices that are claimed to be with the car.

Worth a $500 PPI? Man if you're worried about $500 Fcars aren't for you. These cars will eat 5 grand so fast it'll make your head spin. Heck the tires on this car are $500 each.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    To be accurate I guess they are actually more like $575 each now.

12. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    It's quite possibly the correct response but only if you live in 1930's England.

If you do, the 365/400/400i/412 doesn't exist yet so you shouldn't be on this forum so bugger orf you spotty little oik !

13. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    PLZ guys I am not looking to be chastized for the proverbial, " if your worried about bla , bla etc then a ferrari is not for you". I was asking based on all the negative comments if you would suspect that there is something seriously bad SINCE both front and rear ends seem to be strange and a few other comments noted.

I spoke to one of the owners of the dealership today, and he said they bought it at auction and did nothing; hence he has no clue about the front sagging bumper, the incorrect rear bumper etc.

Sure I can throw $500 at it; I did 2 PPi's last year on 2 550's, both failed and they seemd to be near perfect based on some members' actually going and looking at the cars for me BEFORE I sent them for PPI's.........sorry but I find sometimes the board jumps on folks and lectures them;I am 55, own a couple business's that do over $2.6 million , I AINT no dummy! I do appreciate the "heads up" and no I have NOT owned an "f" car but I have owned too many to list and a few were complete restoration jobs so I am NOT afraid to spend money; sorry for the blow off of steam and I do thank you for your observations and concerns for $$$ on newbie "f" owners. Doc

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well first of all I didn't "jump on you". And nobody chastised you. You asked a question and I gave you a reply. You might want to remember that you asked these questions on a public forum. Congrats on owning a couple of businesses that do 2.6 mill. I'm sure that entitles you to be a bit brash to members who have been around here a long time and could likely help you quite a bit.
    Most guys around here think I know my way around these cars pretty well. Obviously you didn't approve of my reply so I'll keep them to myself. I happen to be 10 miles from that car but maybe you'll find someone else to go look at it for you.
    Good luck with your search.

15. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I never have questioned anyone's experience on this board in any category;and since I do not know you sir I cannot question yours; what I do notice is that many seem to make comments that are insensitive; your reply implied to me that I probably cannot afford an f car b/c i was questioning $500, hence my knee jerk reaction. it was not meant to offend you at all!

I know they are ALL exp to service, new or old, but that reply permeates all the forums on all the models; and I have no idea what other cars you own BUT I do get tired of folks lecturing others when in fact they either do not even own a Ferrari( I know you do) or in ALL RESPECT to the entry models spent some $25K and they are all BIG TIME giving out advice like they got a $300k car and they know what to tell me on how to spend my money.

I am off topic but last year when I had those PPi's done some "kid" on here asked me why I had NOT bought anything yet after spending $$$ on those PPi's, like he is going to tell me how to spend my money and heck I find out he does not even own one; hence I get sensitive about the money thing;and you guys known that is true, that a good many of the folks on this board do not own a car but are always chiming in, I am here BUT I never give advice about how to buy or what to do, can only relate any experiences I have had buying other marques..... sorry and I can move on. Doc

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I agree 100% with the above post. Is it so hard to be nice with someone that is just asking for some help or advice? It's frustrating sometimes. I was told that I couldn't afford to buy a Testarossa. By someone who never met me and didn't know who I was.

17. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Another guy's $0.02:

That *is* a dark tint. A matter of personal taste. OE is an almost indetectible tint. If you demand originality this tint is a no-go. But it doesn't bother me.

That's what I think when I see the gathered-look seating surfaces on many of these cars, that this is aftermarket. The worn upholstery in my '83 has no such gathers anywhere.

MSD is a comparatively cheap replacement for the Marelli OE unit. Although glarying non-OE, hey're very common. I've seen them in '60s Ferraris as well.
    That compressor on the driver side is a smog pump.

The front bumper looks like it was hit a bit off-center on the passenger side. Probably a parallel parker did it. One should enquire of a body shop if they can be straightened; that would be the only repair.
    Any 400i with mufflers that aren't aftermarket has some really decripit mufflers. My guess is if you got five American 400s in one place -- more difficult to do than five 250 GTOs -- you would find five different sets of mufflers. Installed height is easy to adjust.
    Shifter knobs are easy to change out.

Previous owner(s) must have had additional keys on the key ring and wasn't careful about scraping. Some touchup dye would help.
    Those washers on the speaker grille are crazy. I hope they were done carelessly by some wholesaler who just wanted to keep the grille attached. The blue connector on the passenger side of the K-Jetronic airflow assembly is not supposed to be attached. The one on the driver side is. This connector cuts off the fuel pump if the air flow sensor plate is not off its resting position, but the igniton is on.

That's true. The rear bumper should go side-to-side. This one is too short. That sticker on the door jamb might be a clue, where it says the car complies with U.S. bumper regs. I've not seen that before. Maybe the federalizing vendor changed the bumper; maybe the DOT inspector made him do it.

Definitely something to ask about. Maybe the answer is in the wad of receipts. Not every engine rolls off the line is perfect. There's also the possibility of a missed shift causing overrevving causing a bent valve or worse.

Bottom line is that there are far worse 400i's around. A 30 year old car will have issues. In my opinion it's worth a $500 ppi. If it checks out, this car is worth $25,000.

18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have a "modern compressor" on my car and it works really well.

19. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    How would you know how well a modern ac compressor works in Alaska? ;)

Just kidding, I know that summer time temps in Alaska can sometimes reach a scorching 72 degrees or more!

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #45 ArtS, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Dogdoc,

1. You have had 'kid's' telling you what to do with your money. Longtime members of this sub forum have seen plenty of people come through looking to buy a 'cheap Ferrari'. Thus the PPI comment. Assume that a good PPI result means that you will need to spend $10k - $15k to have a good usable car. These were expensive, exclusive cars when new and are very different than a 308 in both driving experience and maintenance.

2. I see the scratches around the keyhole and the MSD as positive. The scratches imply that the leather wasn't just resprayed for a sale (although the light colored dash is going to generate annoying glare) and the MSD means someone was setting the car up to be used.

3. If i recall, the rubber covered bumpers have aging issues so, the weird rear bumper and the slightly off front may be not mean much. A PPI should reveal if there were any body issues.

Overall, if I was in the market, I'd have Dave take a look and if it passed his scrutiny, I'd have Norwood do a PPI and then make a decision.

Also, for some perspective: I considered the series when I bought my 330. They were roughly the same price; well, the 400 may have been a little more. I also looked at 250PF coupes for $25k and if I had the money, I could have bought a Lusso for $75k. All of these cars were cheap to buy and very expensive to maintain and until recently, my 330 was as much a labor of love as the 400 is. In the near future I may seriously consider taking the plunge as the 400 is a much more refined experience as compared to the 330.

Regards,

Art S.

21. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    BUT isn't James Patterson and Norwood's on the Dallas side of town; I would prefer James as I know him but I thought they were not in Houston? Doc

22. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    got a hold of the work orders ,and had them reviewed by mark at Sphere....well the work totals $33K and is only for the period spanning a few years although the printout shows from 96 to 2006, BUT the mileage shows from 22,346 to 25,673.

Ironically, there is a cost per mile to drive this car; and it shows that basically the guy drove dome 3K miles and it cost him $10.15 per mile; i.e, the $33K in repairs over a 3K mile period.

The car was serviced at Dallas Auto Sports; supposedly the owner had other cars and did not drive this one much. The work orders have many items, mounts, thermostats, water pump, interior work dash out, inop speedo, inop windows, rebuild shocks, radiator core work left and right side? Really no mention of actual motor work except gaskets etc. Starter, power steering pump, it goes on. The ONE issue is we have NO records on the engine out service....

mark said the comment from the Dallas shop was it had lots of work and needed more, he feels it's worth a PPI from what he has seen BUT obviously will know more if he sees the car. He reserves the compression etc AFTER he takes inventory of everything else so if he feels its worth doing he will suggest it; if he feels its got too many other issues then its not worth the money.......the bid has stalled at $27,300 I think on Ebay, Doc

23. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I see it has now become famous enough for BAT! Lovely colour too.
    Still at $28600.....The question you have to ask yourself is....do you feel lucky??!!

(((-;

All the best. Mark.

24. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Sold for a cool $29K.

25. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a price at $30K with the dealer; by the time I got the copies of the work orders and got them to Mark at Sphere yesterday I was going to get the PPI done; I got an email from the dealer at 5:37 saying they were ready to do the deal; and then when I just got home from work it had sold.....oh well, according to Mark a PPI was DEFINITELY in order, I hope whoever bought this car has luck in less of course they got a PPI done during this whole thing but I do not think so....THNX TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT! Doc