Crappy Replicas thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Crappy Replicas thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ninyo, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I can't thank you enough for posting up that car :D. I've been trying to figure out what it was since I saw it (or something very damned similar) in Cannon Ball Run 2. I knew it had to be some kit-car but they never showed enough of the car to get the full name of it and I couldn't find any links.

Even if its not that particular kit-car, its close enough. That pop-up canopy is very fascinating and the design was, to me, perfect. Do you have any knowledge about where that kit/completed cars can purchased?

2. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    no wuckers. :)

here's a link to a bit of info about the films it's been in (CB run 2, deathrace 2000, condorman...):
    http://www.priceofhistoys.com/clubnova/frames/News001.htm

and the two biggest resources i've come across so far:
    http://www.nova-international.net/
    http://purviseureka.com/ and http://groups.msn.com/PurvisEureka/

the nova is the euro version, the eureka the aussie one. i don't know much about the US alternatives, but they're definitely out there.

have fun.

3. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I didn't want to believe I'd read that, but unfortunately I did.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    More replica fun!

5. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    OK, I tuned in late, and there's way to much to read here, but just let me focus on the question of legality. It's been said it's illegal to copy an original, right? Based on what law? The only protection available that I can see is a Design Patent. I have pasted below, from your own US Patent Office, some wording to describe what protection is afforded:

35 U.S.C. 171 Patents for Designs
    Whoever invents any new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture may obtain a patent therefor, subject to the conditions and requirements of this title.

The provisions of this title relating to patents for inventions shall apply to patents for designs, except as otherwise provided.

35 U.S.C. 173 Term of Design Patent

Patents for designs shall be granted for the term of fourteen years from the date of grant.

Now, did I hear right? Did you hear that? The term of protection is 14 years. So when someone copies a design greater than 14 years old it's NOT illegal, therefor it's legal. It's legal...let me spell this out....because it's OK!

I have a copy of a Stradivarius, thousands do! What if that were illegal?

Wes

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Carroll Shelby didnt design the AC Cobra, he merley arranged for Ford to give AC the engines for the Mk1 Cobra and got AC to update the bodywork of the AC Ace. the AC Cobra is still made on the same factory bucks in England. would you call a Ferrari 250 sold in the US a Chinetti 250Gt?

As the AC Ace's design is very very very inffluenced by the Barchetta bodywork on 166mm's there is an argument to say that Bianchi Anderloni at touring designed the AC Cobra, Carroll Shelby designed the brochures and marketing strategy!

AC Cobra the American legend - MADE IN ENGLAND,

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Very good points and clarifications except for one, maybe two.

Carroll Shelby didn't "just" arrange for Ford to toss a couple of engines over to AC to pop into their chassis. It was Shelby's idea in the first place and played a major part in the design and the development on the car. The BODY may be made on the same bucks but the frames were all new.

He also played a major part in campaigning the car and working up the 427 cu. version as well. The frame was beefed again and the body was heavily modified to accomodate the larger wheels and tires.

His name is synonamous with the car. Without him it wouldn't have become what it did. He was quite a bit more than a promoter.

It has never been called a Shelby Cobra. It has always been called an AC Cobra but everybody knows the Shelby name connected with it.

The only car to be called a Shelby Cobra here in the States is the Ford Mustang Cobras of the late 60's and early 70's.(The original ones)

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The Daytona replica is a riot :D ... but almost as bad though as the 250GTO replicas on the same platform.

Pete's enjoying the mornings laugh ... remember it is just my opinion ;)

9. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    thank you for that meaningless reply. i can only hope you're not as vapid as your posts.

i'll grant the cobra as an exception (again).

F1ace. that's interesting. you can flat out STEAL any design for anything after fourteen years? i didn't know that.

what i 'm still pretty sure you CAN'T do, is have the real badges on the car. I don't think that falls under the same provision, which is funny since most replicas do. does yours? afterall, you're not allowed to sell rolex replicas that say "rolex" on the face and band.

and even if that IS the only legal issue auto replicas could fall under (and i'm not convinced it is), that doesn't make it "right". companies shouldn't be able to make money by stealing the creativity and hard work of others after some fourteen year period expires. there's nothing honorable in that, at all.

and if replica owners aren't the least bit concerned with their image, or what people think of them...why do most replicas have the real badges? hmmm. another question, if the owners of lamborghini and ferrari replicas (for instance) are buying these fakes because of their "automotive passion"...why doesn't it bother them that the car still drives and sounds like a fiero? hmmm. it almost seems like authentic badging is more important than an authentic ride...what a surprise! not.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That car eerily resembles the 512 Boxer... Especially the top picture... Nice car, though... i like the listing canopy in the second picture - very different...

11. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    "for me it's just that there's this thing i can't figger out about replicas, if you're honest about telling people what it isn't, i don't get the point of driving it around as it's a deliberate means to ruse others and draw attention." -ashsimmonds

didn't see this earlier, but yeah, my thoughts exactly.

"but here's the real killer for me, for the time and money invested in such a project, someone could build an awesome UNIQUE vehicle, that will never be judged by the high standard of the car it is trying to be." -ashsimmonds

and again.

12. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

NNO, do a side by side of a 512 boxer and that Eureka. I don't see the resemblance. The overall body style is just so different. The have a vaguely similar side profile, but all of curves and shapes are so different.

13. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

#138 Aureus, Jul 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Yep you're right on, you got me annoyed for all of 10 seconds, whilst you've spent 3 pages worth of a thread battling others for superiority on a damn menial issue. After 10 seconds of wasting my time being annoyed I realized that you can't argue with idiots, because even if you're as rational as daylight, rationalizing with people who can't think isn't worth the trouble. Sorry for that "vapid" phase I went through -- I won't let it happen again.

Truth be told though, you'd probably want to go to war if you knew what China was up to.

Oh yeah, while you're on your crusade, you may want to uninstall those illegal (stolen) programs you have on your computer. Nice job, ace.

15. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."
    -- Charles Caleb Colton

IMO the flattery ends turns to forgery when you put the badges on.

// Peter

16. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Rifter, Patent protection doesn't last forever....not in our world or yours. That's something you're just going to have to come to terms with. Someone invents the VCR, they have a certain number of years to capitalize on it, then it's "time's up!", it's open to everyone. Like it or not, your ranting won't change what everyone else has come to accept. You really are marginalizing yourself with your irrational behavior.

Regards

Wes

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I guess if we stick to rifter's naive view of the world we all should throw away any tyre that is not a Dunlop! How dare another company make tyres ... gee Dunlop patented the pneumatic tyre and nobody for the rest of time should be allowed to take the idea on ...

You rifter come on big boy what brand of tyres do you run on ... if they are not Dunlops ... then shame on you mate ;)

Pete's laughing

18. vittorio

vittorio Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    vittorio

Give a look to this website:

http://pumaclub.interfree.it/g%20t%20v.htm

The Pumas were kit cars with Alfa Romeo, Porsche or VW engines.
    They also produced the Dune Buggy!
    Bye
    Vittorio

19. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    pete, i'm laughing at your absurd analogy. there is no "greater good" to be gained by people replicating the bodywork of a ferrari.

"Yep you're right on, you got me annoyed for all of 10 seconds, whilst you've spent 3 pages worth of a thread battling others for superiority on a damn menial issue. After 10 seconds of wasting my time being annoyed I realized that you can't argue with idiots, because even if you're as rational as daylight, rationalizing with people who can't think isn't worth the trouble. Sorry for that "vapid" phase I went through -- I won't let it happen again. - callaides"

another vapid reply where you use a lot of words to say nothing. suspicions confirmed.

"Truth be told though, you'd probably want to go to war if you knew what China was up to. - callaides"

i dislike china for a multitude of more important reasons. but yes, the rampant piracy there is atrocious.

"Oh yeah, while you're on your crusade, you may want to uninstall those illegal (stolen) programs you have on your computer. Nice job, ace. - callaides"

any warez on my computer was downloaded to replace programs i purchased (whose cd's now skip because of wear and tear) or in the case of microsoft programs after they eventually (and inevidably) currupt themselves. that's a neat little trick, hacking to see what programs people run...probably not legal, definitely not moral, but hey, when's the last time that stopped you? if you really are that crafty a nerd, i'll have to ask that you keep any disagreement with me on the boards and stay the f*ck out of computer. thanks.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So you are allowed to play with copy-rights, etc. and walk the moral tight rope but not everybody else?

Pot calling the kettle black ...

Using your above analogy on cars ...

Person X buys a Lamboghini, the car eventually breaks down way too early (er, just like MS packages) and thus instead of buying a new one, he creates a reliable replica ... Looks the same, performs arguably the same (same could be said about the MS versus non-MS packages) and costs heaps less.

Same deal IMO.

Pete

21. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    jesus, the bad analogies keep on coming...

you show me a "kettle" that fits the situation you described and i'll admit i'm calling that particular "kettle, black".

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Come on rifter, throw some intelligence into this discussion and explain to the rest of us idiots how my analogy of the Lamborghini replica versus your use of MS packages differs?

It does not, you simply have a bee in your bonnet about somebody copying, exploiting cars ... but if other things you do not give a rats @rse.

Thus your objection of replicas is purely emotional and irrational. That is fine as you are entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean others can't have a differing opinion and enjoy their replica.

Pete

23. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    You're unbelievable.

First: I didn't "hack" your computer -- I go to an art school in Detroit, and barely have the know-how to open my own computer case; let alone "hack" yours. I simply looked back on some of your prior posts in other threads, and I drew a simple diagram of your behavioral patterns. It was pretty clear to me your age, lifestyle, where you went to/go to school, among other things. All these added up and it meant you definitely had to have some illegal programs running. I took a gamble with the guess, and wow look at that, I was right. And by the way, I'm not in a disagreement. You're just an idiot. Write that down.

Second: You might want to get a rag...you're leaking again. Which is it going to be? Vapid or crafty nerd? Those two are pretty contradictory...but then again, so are you.

24. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Hey FROG (y'know, that's just fun to say all by itself) I know this has degenerated into name calling, so I'm not sure you're reading this, but I'm looking at the pictures of your Countach replica and I'm not sure you're not pulling my leg, it looks like a real one. Almost nobody has the correct wheels on those. Are you serious, are those pictures of a replica? If so, who's make, Prova? I think their's is the best.

Wes

25. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I noticed that too Ace...that replica is awesome. Thumbs up Frog...