Crappy Replicas thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Crappy Replicas thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ninyo, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Jon, Thanx but if I ever needed those I could get them locally and save shipping :)

AJ, I thought you said this was a loser topic... and that you were done with it..
    Since saying that you posted three more times to the "loser thead"
    Just how many more times are you going to go on about how distasteful you find this thread? Not intended to be a flame but if you hate this topic why not oh, I don't know - do like you said and stay in the "safe haven" of the lambo section rather than make yourself "sick" at the thought that someone might make their own choices about what they want to drive?

Oblio - I seem to recall an ebay seller who was unloading a very sad 308 missing a bunch of parts he says he sold to replica owners. The seller had some kinda vendetta against ferrari and pledged to destroy/part out one a year. At a show last year I saw an 88 Fiero with a 328 engine... wondering if either of those guys are the one you are referring to..

Chelle

2. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Thank you for paying attention to my posts Chelle.Yes,I did say it was a loser topic,and that I was done.I changed my mind.As long as I dont have to get that approved by anyone,I think Im ok.I was hoping this thread would get moved to the new"Dont have an original design,so I think I'll use someone else's" area.But it didnt.So Ill stay.Now,this thread didnt start as pro-replica,so I am just continuing the general theme of the thread,that replicas suck.Now,that being said,if someone wants to have one,thats their business.I dont have to like them,and will continue my level best to put them(replicas) where they belong.In a junk yard for mis-guided and rip-off automobiles.Ok,and as far as the "safe haven" comment,that was a sarcastic
    joke on my thread.HAHA.No flame intended,just opinion.

3. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So AJ, do you think all the Porsche 911's suck too, I mean afterall, that design, however slightly modified, is the same that's been around for 40 years.

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    No,its a Porshe.They spent the money to develop it,refine it,market it.PORSCHE,THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.

ps They can rip themselves off if they want,its their car.

5. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    "So AJ, do you think all the Porsche 911's suck too, I mean afterall, that design, however slightly modified, is the same that's been around for 40 years."

what a retarded analogy. although, that is why porsche is aesthetically boring to me.

"...rather than make yourself "sick" at the thought that someone might make their own choices about what they want to drive?"

...their own choices about what car they want to imitate, you mean. you're right, that choice is yours. it shouldn't be. but it is. enjoy your knockoff you knockoff enthusiast, you. haha.

6. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So Porsche can do it for 40 years, but it Ford does it with the GT, then you, "have a problem with Ford digging up the grave, instead of a new design" (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20407&page=2). I guess only the elite marques are allowed to copy or carry designs for so many years down the road.

What about Carrol Shelby and his current Cobra offerings? They aren't original Cobras, does that mean he's ripping himself off? Are those crappy replicas too?

7. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So now I'm retarded eh? Nice dude.

Welcome to America bud, everyone has a choice as it SHOULD be. Go back to Russia.

8. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I hate the fact that Ford dug up the grave.Its not a kit car nontheless.I really have no idea what your point is?Your talking about Ford and Porsche,like they make kit cars!They developed these cars.Porsche has over 40 years of producing the 911 type.Why would you call that a replica?I am talking about REPLICA companies that RIP-OFF original designs,to benefit from the design and money spent of another company.

ps Mr. Shelby can do whatever he wants with HIS COBRA.Its his,not West coast,or Shell,or contemporary or............10 others.

9. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My point has been made--there is a fine line between replica and original, many reasons to own both, surely no reason to disown copies, other than your own choice, and bagging on others who can't afford an original is no good either. I'm done with this thread.

10. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Your point hasnt been made.You have no clue.Your actually very entertaining,in a weird way.THEIR FAKES!!!RIP-OFFS.They are not real.Go get one.Not everybody will laugh,

11. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ok, I lied, I'm not done.

Here is my point. You devalue anyone who makes a car that isn't original, such as the Ford GT, yet say it's alright for Porsche to do it for 40 years. You say Carroll Shelby can make, what are essentially replicas (the current ones aren't anything like the originals), and that's ok, because he slaps his name on the car (you really think he has anything to do with these cars like he did the orignal--please). Also, there are Cobra replicas that have paid money to Shelby, but I'm sure you don't think that's the same either, or maybe you do because money was involved.

You call me clueless, I call you a hypocritical snob (evidenced further in another thread where you bag on the Ford GT's engine because it's offered in the Lightning--an engine snob). You even brag that you once won a Cobra replica, but refused it. That's about as snobish as it gets. Instead of taking the car and giving it to a friend who might like it, you are so higher-than-thou, you outright refuse it.

BTW, I don't want a replica, but I think there are some very fine offerings out there (but many more horrible ones).

12. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    lol

it's not snobish to think stealing is wrong. go prance on back to the woods, robin hood, and take your merry band of communists with you.

ps, if shelby himself is pocketing coin for the new replicas, good. i wouldn't consider that the usual replica thievery. however, this is not the case with most, and no matter what any of you say, it's not okay for a company to profit on the sweat and creativity of others. they're leeches, and you're no better if you line their pockets with money they didn't rightly earn.

13. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    How can producing a replica be stealing if nobody is manufacturing the original car! The replica companies aren't even putting original badging on the cars, the owners are doing that.

Suck it up comrade.

14. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I cant answer you any more.After you intimated that Porsche producing the 911 for 40 years is the same as the rip-off companies,I am dumbfounded.And the GT.Its Fords car.I dont happen to like what they are doing,but they earned the right,because they produced it originally.Why cant they just produce an original idea?(the replica builders)Its simple,they wont sell them.

15. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Replicas:....ah now there is a creative idea!

Alls fair in love and war.

Someone define the word BUSINESS-

is this really necessary?

16. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte

the 308 into a Fiero....hey this is worse: >>

17. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    You guys are cracking me up.

Ok, how about BMW making MINI's for petes sake? Is that ripping off Morris? And Mazda with the Miata, was that a rip off of the Elan?

Cheers,
    Jon
    ps Chelle - did you find your perfect SE yet?

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    What are you saying, I dont get your point? Since you pulled this dead thread up again,please elaborate. Thanks

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    A replica IS NOT considered a rip off if condoned by the original designer. Period.

MY momma taught me to look at things from more than one narrow angle.

In your own words, "Just my opinion"

20. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    It is a rip-off. Someone else spent the time and money to develop the car. Most owners of the "real thing" feel the same. They are a joke, and in most cases a bad one.

21. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I'm thinking along the lines of Sonny Crockett's replica Daytona which was used for target practice by a Colombian with a stinger. It was nice to see a real Ferrari used afterwards since Ferrari NA got involved, not some Corvette chassis and small-block powered knock off. But I did love the camera shot of Don Johnson's face where you could see the mushroom cloud that used to be his car in the reflection in his sun glasses.

Some of the replicas I've seen here deserve at a minimum such a fate. Others should just serve as a warning.

22. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    LMAO!!

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Of course you are aware that the white Ferrari Testarossa used in many of the shots in later Miami Vice episodes was NOT a Ferrari. It was a modified Pantera. The car was written up in a Popular Science or Popular Mechanics issue at the time.

24. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Really???? I heard that Ferrari NA was upset that Miami Vice was using a poser Daytona and struck a deal with Michael Mann to use a real Testarossa. I recall the actual Testarossa that was used in Miami Vice was put up for auction at Barrett-Jackson a year or so ago.

If it really was a modified pantera, we need to find another Stinger missile.

25. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Finally, someone who has joined me in my never ending battle for "truth, justice, and the Italian " way!!