Crappy Replicas thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Crappy Replicas thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ninyo, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    lol, whatever robin hood...

2. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Sorry but I have seen the Beck replicas close up @ Keels & Wheels one year. They parked the pseudo Porsche next to the Italian group. It was an awesome replica. I did not have any problem with it.

Who cares! Why take yourself so seriously. Many of the older Italian cars are little more than what is in the part bins?.... cars.

3. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Its more the principle of it.Its a felony now to duplicate merchandise,while using the trademarks and logo's of the originating company.Fakes of any type feed off of the hard work and money spent of companies that have created,marketed and promoted their products.Carrol Shelby decided to make an issue of one of the best cobra rip-off artists years ago,and won.It hasnt stopped the problem.Its a costly proposition for a car company to undertake,and most let it go.But it isnt right.jmho

4. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You people who say all replicas are crap and the companies involved should go broke--you type that, most likely on a Windows or Apple computer--both of which "replicated" their GUI from Xerox.

5. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    They dont use the name to sell the product.Also,have the guts to change it up a bit,so its not a rip-off.They (the replica builders)dont do that because they dont have the ability.

6. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Actually the Replica builders do it because there is a demand. Go find a 550 or gullwing or GT40. Ford was influenced to bring back the GT40 because of the high profile kits. That being said it would be nicer to see licensing like the Cobras but that's another story.

I would not say the same for Ferrari kits and Lambo kits since those cars are readily available. In many cases the kit cars cost about the same as the real thing.

In fact if you look at home many of the classic race cars have been rebuilt with nothing more than a "real" id plate, a kit really is not much different.

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    The problem with replicas, is that people who don't care won't notice, and those who do WILL know it's a replica ... and since we enjoy cars based on driving fun ... it just makes no sense.

8. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You haven't seen the right ones then. Believe me there are kits out there that are so good you'd have to get right up on it, crawl around on it. Yes, Lamborghinis and Ferraris too. There are known stories of people bringing these cars to Ferrari and Lamborghini shows, right there amongst all the real ones, and no one even batted an eye.

But also remember, that many of the most popular and respected kits out there are not about fooling anyone. It's like Rodney said, it's because there is a demand. The original cars were either too few in manufacturing, or simply too expensive (usually both).

9. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Rifter - so are you saying I'm stealing from myself? I own a real Ferrari a real Lambo a real Porsche and a replica ferrari...
    AJ.... actually there are a few making some very interesting changes to suit specialized needs. There is a Diablo replica maker out there who reengineered the chassis and passenger compartment for someone over 6'5" to be able to own and drive it comfortably.. additionally as I have posted in the past there are some nice additions to the cars to make them more user friendly, safer, or more servicable.. if someone loves the look of a 1932 ford, they don't need 73 year old tech handling brakes/handling/ and comfort.. a replica body won't flex apart under the rigors of daily driving like the original, and 4 wheel disks and independant suspension will make it handle and stop safely , a modern injected engine will far outperform the original, and a vintage air setup will make it comfortable enough to live with in a hot climate...
    As someone who has had her Lambo disabled for 6 months waiting for an idler pully for the timing belt (it did finally come in) I can say it's nice when something breaks on the replica I can just run to AutoZone and for lunch money get replacements. and I'm not using the ferrari emblem on the replica to sell it as something it's not .. i'm not interested in selling it - I'm just interested in being an individual and driving what I want..
    and IMHO the Murci replica isn't a bad start at all - I'd prefer to see that body on a tube chassis personally though... from what I have read about that body the molds were taken off a real Lambo.. I have a friend with a 355 spyder relpica that uses a stock 355 windshield, convertible top, front fenders, trim pieces, and hood are all stock ferrari parts and the rear clip was made from a mold taken off an original.. as soon as he let some people on a message board like this one know it was a replica (by posting a pic of the Z04 corvette engine in it) all sorts of self appointed experts came out of the woodwork pointing out all the "obvious" errors in the proportions of the body as further proof it was a crap replica. Their insecurity was making them find errors where they didn't exist.. every part visible in teh pictures was either a factory ferrari part or interchangable with the factory part..

Someone here pointed out to me a few months ago one way the replicas don't stand up to the original and it's a real and valid point.. an original has history.. and because of the history behind it you forgive some things.. like insane prices and hard to find parts, like non functioning(or unavailable) A/C, and dated components... My lambo is a 74 and has a great history - other than the color it's origianl.. and i love it.. so I forgive the fact that the ferrari replica can eat it alive in every performance test...
    A new ford GT cannot compare to the history behind his original .. i don't contest that in the slightest.. however there aren't many originals out there - and if someone wants a GT40 to use as a daily driver then let them drive the replica.. ultimately it's no one's decision but the person putting out the time, money, and effort to build or buy it.
    I could care less if Rifter or anyone else approves of my replica.. it's not a fake watch.. it's a toy.. I only care that small minds and money hungry FNA lawyers not interfere with what I feel like owning and enjoying.
    Rodney- wonderful point! and BTW - please tell Marci hiya - i lost all my old email : (
    Chelle

10. zach_300zxTT

zach_300zxTT Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Zach Lindsey

Very well stated! You have some excellent points that I totally agree with.

11. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    thanx : ) an oops - i made a typo.. the 355 replica i spoke of has a Z06 engine.. i don't think they make a Z04..
    just a typo on my part - prolly won't be my last
    Chelle

12. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Actually I think there was a Z04 but I think it was some boy-racer go-fast add ons for a Chevy Beretta back in the '80's.

Cheers
    Kevin

wdverocks66 likes this.
  13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Replicas are an attemt at copying a classic.Try to justify it any way you want.Its wrong.Why cant they come up with their own designs,and logo's,and concepts?Be cause they dont have the knowledge or the money.Its much easier to steal someones else's work.Its deadbeat wrong.I respect those builders who attemt to make their own cars,and there are quite a few.Most fail,but at least it was an original attemt.It is wrong to attemt to duplicate Countaches,Diablos,TR's,GT40's.JUST CHANGE IT UP.DONT USE THE NAME.DONT USE THE LOGO'S.Nahh,that would affect their rip-off sales.To show you how I feel about this,I once WON a Contempory Cobra relica.Won.I refused to take it,because in principle it is WRONG!!I was brought up to respect hardwork,not to have someone benefit for someone else's hard work.I am done on this subject.Its a loser topic.

14. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    exactly.

it's no less counterfiet than anything else. apply the same principle to any other product and it's criminal, but when it comes to cars it's all about PASSION, lol. The justifications in this thread for stealing are outright laughable. no respect whatsoever should be given to the companies that make money leeching off other's creativity or labor. none. likewise with the people that buy some knockoff just because the genuine article is out of their financial or practical reach. stealing is stealing is stealing. the end. case closed. period.

i have no idea why replicas are even legal. at the very least, they shouldn't be allowed to have authentic badging. fake gt40's should have CAV badges etcetera...

15. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I've stated in the past that I have no problems with replicas. I just have a problem with the replica owner that tells all unexpecting people that it's the real thing.
    If you own and drive a hand crafted automobile, take pride in what you built..
    Tell everyone "I built this"
    You only piss people off by saying, "Yeah this is a Lambo/Ferrari" Especially when they know the real from a fake.

Alot of replicas out there are done poorly, but there is a few out there that I wouldn't mind owning..

My two cents..
    Ron

16. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    #41 ronsupercar, Jun 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good replicas are like a great boob job. Who cares if they're not real or not, I'll stare at them all day.

Ron :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If there were no replica Cobras you would rarely see any on the road because there weren't that many made to begin with.

The designer of the Cobra, Carroll Shelby himself approves of the modern day replica, properly assembled and with modern improvements and upgrades. He says the properly built replica is actually better than an original because of it's refinements over the original.

In this light it isn't about being a poser wannabe. It's a tribute to a great car and a great design.

Chelle made a valid point, "...............additionally as I have posted in the past there are some nice additions to the cars to make them more user friendly, safer, or more servicable.. if someone loves the look of a 1932 ford, they don't need 73 year old tech handling brakes/handling/ and comfort.. a replica body won't flex apart under the rigors of daily driving like the original, and 4 wheel disks and independant suspension will make it handle and stop safely , a modern injected engine will far outperform the original, and a vintage air setup will make it comfortable enough to live with in a hot climate..."

Yeah, What she said...................................

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Their all ripoffs of someone else who did the work.My Momma taught me better.

19. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    But what about the guy who want to make a 308 into a Fiero?

20. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #45 JonBrent, Jun 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004