cranks but won't start | Page 5 | FerrariChat

cranks but won't start

Discussion in '348/355' started by berlinetta f355, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I had a look at mine (5.2) and it seems to be plastic on both sides of the plug. The 5.2 diagrams don't show shielding, however.

Anyway, I'll draw the 2.7 like this (similar to the 348, but with shielding)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The original diagrams don't show the shield touching the plug, so I've replicated that, too.

Pin 1 of the interconnect plug goes to the other ECU.

2. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    It's a wierd one with the shield. I had a Motec M48 on an old Holden V8 supercar engine (sequential injection)
    and it was important that the shield be terminated at any plug. I'm no help with Ferrari wiring that's for sure. Seems to be so so many variations even between the same models.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No as you know mine was doing that as well and it was due to the crank sensors and cam phase sensors knowing something was wrong.
    The above statement is a guess but what happened is not a guess but a fact. This happened exactly like mine.
    Abviously do not know if his problem is the same though

4. berlinetta f355

Jan 11, 2015
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Trevor Skutezky
    Gentlemen: I am sorry I have been absent from this discussion for some weeks! I finally received the crankshaft position sensors and the cam shaft phase sensor (from Latvia, made in Romania) and installed them. No joy! I finally (sheepishly) had the car towed to Automobiles Etcetera, one of the local Ferrari experts. He has the OBD1 Scanner and quickly determined that the voltage from one of the temperature sensors was low. He cleaned the the contacts and voila, the car started and runs like a top. The Motronic 2.7 self diagnosis with the flashing CEL codes did not indicate a problem with the temperature sensor. The only advice i can give from this experience is to check the connections on all the sensors .It is probably possible to bench test most of the sensors as well - not sure though. If there was a copy of the ECU logic (ladder diagram), it certainly would be helpful. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

One other point which was explained to me by the my local Ferrari expert is that if the car does not start, the crankshaft sensors will display a problem on the self diagnostic system (which they did in my case) even if the sensors are operating correctly.

I hope relating my experience to you is useful. Cheers!!

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds like witchcraft to me. I see in the WSM (in the 5.2 engine section) that during the engine starting phase, fuel enrichment and spark advance is computed using (amongst other things) coolant temperature. I assumed, however, that zero signal would be interpreted as a really low temperature.

Very. Thanks!

6. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    The ol coolant temp sensor eh! They do give ecu information some grief that's for sure. Glad it's fixed. One thing I will add is when I did my first eng out service every plug on my engine harness got a little dose off electric clean then electric grease (utilux grease) helps a lot!

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This is definitely not the case with mine as it will run with that sensor unplugged that is about half way up bank 1 in the well of the V
    After my first major I had a problem with it but it started and ran fine.
    Just no reading on the gauge.
    Maybe his other 1 was gone.
    Easy to test and if I remember will check it in the spring.

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Glad you got it sorted and saved lots of cash that great

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

... or +2 (there are two ECU water temperature sensors on the 2.7 car). The gauge sender has no input into fuel/ignition control.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #110 johnk..., Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Illogical. I have a 2.7 car as well and when I got it one temp sensor was bad, basically open circuit, high resistance. The only thing it did was make the car fail emissions. Additionally, as noted, there are 2 sensors on a 2.7 car, one for each bank's ECU (also one for the gauge actually makes 3) so a bad sensor would only effect one bank and these cars will start and run on one bank. Furthermore, if cleaning the contacts made it work, that would imply excessive resistance due to the dirt. Since the sensors have very high resistance when cold, if dirty contacts >>> high resistance, it should not effect a cold start.

Keep your fingers crossed. Good that the car is running but the problem may reappear.

But yes, if the car is not running when you check the codes you will get a 1121 code, RPM sensor.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I,agree John based on my experience but as long as his cars running I am happy for him