COVID 19 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

COVID 19

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LMH, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
  2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I'm not surprised by this hold.

3. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    We just need to wish everyone to be safe and healthy... The situation is tough everywhere specially in Italy

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I get your point. There are dozens and dozens of people around me at work, all sharing the same, closed spaces and breathing the same air as me.. the risk is still very much there, as It would be in a bar or a restaurant. However, work isn't expendable and with some precautions, we carry on.

Anyway, 2-weeks stop for Ferrari; QR says it's not Covid-related, but due to issues with the supply chains.

https://www.quattroruote.it/news/industria-finanza/2020/03/14/coronavirus_problemi_con_le_forniture_si_ferma_anche_la_ferrari.html

wrs likes this.
  5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Two weeks are may be 500 cars worth of production. Combined with the big declines in the stock market that have been a big driver of wealth growth over the last decade, which presumably will hit new car demand, it might paradoxically partially address the Ferrari over-production that we have seen over the past couple of years. Might just be the only silver-lining in this crisis.

wrs likes this.
  6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    If you look at the objective of the closure - to reduce the rate of infection so that emergency services can cope with acute cases in parallel, there is not a joke that this is achieved in two weeks.

I can’t begin to comprehend the economic harm and misery this is going to cause and wonder how social cohesion will be maintained.

MidnightRun likes this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very significant difference actually. Restaurants bring people from many different groups together. Work places are all the same people every day.

You want to limit contact to a small group of people, the same people. Restaurants and bars are all new contacts, changing constantly. An infected office worker could infect his 10 colleagues, but only his 10 colleagues since it's the same 10 people everyday. An infected person who works in a restaurant could infect hundreds or thousands of people and it would be impossible to track the exposure.

8. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    There’s a reason Italy got hit so hard and particularly the north, but you won’t hear it in the mainstream media. From around 2010 Chinese companies started buying Italian fashion houses, not least because the Chinese middle classes so loved the Italian look. They needed to keep the coveted Made in Italy label for their output so, instead of moving factories to China, they moved Chinese workers to Lombardy and Tuscany (centred on Milan and Florence). Google it - New Yorker magazine said there was as many as 20000 in Prato, a tiny town in Tuscany. That was in 2013. There’s as many as 200000 in total in Italy today - possibly a lot more. And the Chinese fashion industry is based guess where? Yep, Wuhan - home of both the companies doing the buying and the cheap workers being shipped to work in sweatshops in Italy. Many would have returned home for Chinese New Year January 25th, just as the virus was ramping up in their home city, and returned with the virus soon after. As stated, you won’t hear this in the mainstream media - and I wonder how long this post will last. So we may not be in for an Italian scale crisis after all - that was due to very particular reasons.

Texas Forever, Napoli, Eilig and 7 others like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ^
    This is true.

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I've wondered why in Italy the epidemic advanced so quickly and got out of control. Finally you present us a very good explanation. Thank you

11. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Globalisation, the gift that keeps on giving. I am not anti-globalisation but not assessing long term effects and tale risks to goose short term profits does not always lead to the greater good.

Texas Forever, ppg70 and Bundy like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    France seems to be on the same path as Italy currently, and Spain is also hit very hard - so if the China connections may have hurt Italy first, European countries have strong Italy connections anyway...
    The concern is that in spite of the countries being hit one after the other, it's like the governments still do not have any clue about the appropriate responses.

13. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    just learned: Ferrari shuts down Maranello and Modena sites at least until March 27th.

14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
  15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ancient. Methuselah reported it when he was 13.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Napoli and Data like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Production halted until 3-27.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ... but new to me. :p

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #71 JTSE30, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

reference:
    https://www.ifpma.org/global-health-matters/flu-can-cause-up-to-650000-deaths-a-year-globally/

please, sanity prevail now

COVID19 is truly insignificant, and cases of mortality are linked/attributed simply due to presence of infection, not that it was actual cause of death.. this is particularly astonishing

And total confirmed is severely under-reported, could be up to 50x more, consider that and mortality rate would be less 8/100s of 1% (or very close to seasonal flu, COVID19 is the flu, just a new strain)

Bundy likes this.
  20. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    The superficiality of this post is astonishing and, together with the typical conspiratorial tone “you won’t hear it in the media” makes for even more compelling reading.
    Do you know where most Chinese in Italy live and where most of the clothing manufacturing is based? No? I thought so. It’s Tuscany. Where is the epicenter of the outbreak and the highest number of cases? Lombardy. Now, I know most Americans are challenged when it comes to geography but the two regions although not super distant are not even adjacent. So, as it is typical nowadays, somebody takes a couple of truths (it’s true there are many Chinese in Italy and it is true a lot of them work in fashion) and by combining them they try to define an extremely complex problem. Look, I am Italian and although I live in the US my whole family is barricaded at home near milano. This is no joke and although that is your personal opinion and you are entitled to it, to claim it’s the “explanation” is just dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C

So what you are saying is that it is normal for Italy around this period to be filled to the brink with intensive care patients, even overflowing to the point where doctors need to chose which patients could have the best chance of survival?
    Think before you write something please.

ScottS likes this.
  22. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    If anybody is interested in serious reasons although this should remain a car forum, you should consider logical things like average age of the Italian population AND the fact that until a week ago the majority of the population didn’t believe that going out was a mistake and so, surprise surprise cases spiked like crazy. And guess what, this is exactly what’s about to happen in the US. I am not wishing it obviously but just wait and see. So much for the lower Chinese population here! By the way, you sure there aren’t more than 200k Chinese in the entire US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert-LP and Marcel Massini like this.
  23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Back in my engineering and med school classes, we used to discuss costs related to risk reduction. Attorneys tend to think in terms of reducing risk to zero or nearly so, with little regard for associated costs or unintended consequences. Unfortunately, our governments are largely composed of attorneys, and even docs like Fauci (whom I respect tremendously) must abide by government concepts of risk reduction. The current overreaction is the inevitable result. Just look how easily they cancel school for the tiniest snowfall, or how the media and pllice can publicly denegrate a mother for daring to allow her 9-year-old child to play unattended at a park. Risks haven’t changed but our collective perception of, and tolerance for, them certainly has. Climate change comes to mind, as well.

Texas Forever, Napoli, ajr550 and 4 others like this.