Countach or BB512i? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Countach or BB512i?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kizdan, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which would you rather have?

1. Countach

2. BB512i

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    BB512 hands down.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    There is a guy on the Lambo board who has a 1980 Countach and a Bb512. Loves them both, but if he had to choose, the Lambo would stay.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Boxer BY FAR!!!! Drive a Countach and you'll pick a Boxer too!

4. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wow, the replies to this poll are interesting, to say the least, especially from the folks who have owned both cars.

For starters, I've never been in either car but have seen both in person. Now if we were in a perfect world and if I had 2 "perfect" examples of each to try out, I'd want to try the Countach first. When I think of "Exotic Car" I immediately think of the Countach. It is just so different than any other car on the planet, even today. Sure, it got silly by 1989 with all the appendages they added, especially those ugly black bumpers. But an early 80's Countach was THE car for me. I STILL love seeing the door open up on a Countach. As great as the BB is, it doesn't have that little "extra" that the Countach had in being different from the rest of the pack.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    C'mon Allan, you and I both know that Countachs aren't the most pleasureable 'drives'.

To look at; yes, the Countach with Euro bumpers.

To drive; the Ferrari.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, honestly i prefer the Countach. It is more work to drive than a BB, but you get used to it, and its more rewarding.

Michael Call likes this.
  7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I'm not sure why some think a Countach is hard to drive.
    My observations on driving a Countach:
    First, you wear it more than sit in it.
    The amount of understeer is suprising, you'd have to do something real dumb to spin one.
    The weight,steering and suspension makes it feel kart like, even "racier" than an SCCA Formula Renault single seater.
    Power and rev happy 4-liter carb model is silky smooth, and shifter(no long linkage) is very percise.
    Brakes, Better than TR's I've driven.
    The visibility issue is over emphasised. Really, anytime you are backing up there is a croud around allways willingly volunteering to direct traffic!

Now if someone will let me drive their boxer I can vote on this topic!

Michael Call likes this.
  8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Every car you drive takes awhile to get used to. Rent a refined beater rental-car at the airport, and it will feel pecuilar for awhile.

The C/T visibility issues take awhile to adapt to. Remember it was
    designed in the very early 1970's. Ergonomics were not exactly in
    vogue at the time. The car is not difficult to drive.

boxerman likes this.
  9. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    If you like gold bracelets it's better to choose for the Lambo. A car with such an image you don't wanna be seen it I think.

If I have to chose between a 20 year old 308 and a brand new Murcielago I will still take the 308. No question about that.

Joren

10. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I'd take an '74 LP400 over a 512BBi but I'd take a carb 512 over an anniversary countach.... :)

What a decision to have to take!!

See ya
    Simon

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thats the best statement ive heard on Fchat! Me too!

12. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Why buy a Ferrari wanna-be when one could buy the real thing? Of course a 512BBi!

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Allan. I think I need to purchase a gold bracelet. Do you want to
    book a ticket on Sabena Airlines with me ? Brussels has good deals
    on some chains.

14. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    gotta be the BB512i....I don't do bracelets.

15. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    No gold chains here either, just an appreciation for performance cars. (no wing on mine!)
    This thread is actually very interesting to me as I know of a 512BB that I've watched for a couple years I was thinking about making an offer on.
    Forza's buyers guide on the Boxers was pretty good, keep the feedback comming!

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    FYI,

According to my Sept. 1984 Road & Track magazine review of the "World's fastest cars", they rated the Lambo Countach at 167.5 mph and the Boxer at 176.2 mph.

Phil Hill quoted- "It feels tight and race-bred all the way through."

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Unfortunately, the Countach tested was a sickly americanized version, and the Ferrari bent a valve and broke a ring. Funny thing is, they said the seating position was better in the Countach it was better braked. Countach also had the rear wing in place.

How about the one geared toward the ferrari saying" Anything you can do, i can do better?"

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i looked at both before buying my boxer. the boxer, i feel is better than all countach's with the exception of the 4 valve carb car...that may be one of the best road/hot rod cars in sports car history!

to find a good one of either is very tough however...so many shoddy (sh..itt..y) examples of both on the market. find a well owned /coveted amerispec.

19. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary

Allan,

I believe that you are talking about a completely different R&T magazine test.

The test I am refering to was done in Europe with 8 different (Jag, BMW, Porsche, etc.) Euro spec cars. The 5- litre Lambo (no wing) used in the test was provided by the Lambo factory in Italy and the 512BB was provided by a German owner.

20. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Alan,

I checked, and the test that you refered to took place in Ohio and was in R&T magazine Feb. 1992.

It was a Countach S -vs- 512BB. The Lambo was only able to do 148mph and the US Federalized Boxer hit 168mph.

21. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, your right. Feb 1982. I several other roadtests to the contrary though, and countless others over the Testarossa.The Countach also ran 150mph with wing.

22. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    The Boxer, without question.

(But if I had known 20 years ago that I was going to say that, I'd have refused to speak to myself ever again..!)

Things change....

John

23. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Here is how the Dec.78 Road & Track article started:

24. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    And the writings of Bob Wallace in 1981 sum up this debate pretty well. I think I need one of each.

25. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    That is a hard question: Boxer most likely, I have had an experience in the countach and loved it, but something about Ferrari gets me...Props go to that lambo because it is an amzing car! I cannot comment on reliability on either, just experience, looks, and what grabs me.