Could I have a metabolism issue ? | FerrariChat

Could I have a metabolism issue ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by anunakki, Dec 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive been living on 1800-2000 calories per day for the past 2 months and have only lost ~10 lbs. I havent been exercising at all (yes I know I should be)...still seems like not a lot considering I am 6'1" and currently 269 lbs.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm 5'6", 185, and probably consume less than 1500 calories a day and can't lose weight...my metabolism sucks.

I don't work out much either, been trying to go back to the gym but not motivated.

3. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    man its hard enough to stay under 2000...I dont know how I could do 1500. Its basically just protein and veggies. No carbs, no sugar, no dairy.

My big treat every day is one of those 70 calorie strawberry yogurts before bed...

4. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    http://www.fourhourbody.com/

I know I sound like a broken record on here but this works and it is easy. I lost more than 20 lbs in 3 months. 6ft 1 I was 206 and now 179. My work out s decreased from 8-9 hours a week to 2.5 hours.

Try it

The secret is 25 grams of protein within 30 min of waking up.

5. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Your yogurt treat is erasing all the good you do each day.

The 4 Hour Body you get one cheat day a week and you can eat as much as you want of anything.

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Are you sure that you are counting accurately? Also, how sedentary are you?

Lot's of hidden calories in food. Also, I find that people tend to underestimate calories, sometimes by quite a bit.

Need to go now, will post more tomorrow.

7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Im counting as correct as the labels on the food allow me to.

Typical day is 3 sandwiches of one slice bread (70 cal), one slice cheese (80 cal), slices of ham or turkey (300 cal), mustard (30 cal). Total 480 cal x 3 = 1440 cal.

Snacks of almonds, pickles and olives throughout day (200 cal)

Yogurt (70 cal)

I only drink water and Coke Zero. Both no cal.

So ~ 1710 cal. I round up to 1800 cal.

Im VERY sedentary.

8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You havent seen me eat....I guarantee I can erase all the gains if I have a total free day.

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I am 6' and was at 220-225 for too long, no matter what I did I just couldn't loose any weight.

I went to a medical weight control center and they gave me drugs - that worked (seemed like speed to me).

Now I'm at 190 and very happy, no longer use the drugs, took 4 months. Drugs helped me modify my diet when will power could not.

I recommend it.

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Don't forget that not eating enough does not do your metabolism any favors.

11. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz

Read the book You dont have to count calories with this at all. I was very skeptical but it has worked for me. You can go to to your fav Italian place and pig out on cheat days.

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    How many almonds? Those have a bunch of calories, believe it or not. A handful can easily approach 150 calories.

Even so, it sounds like the sedentary lifestyle may be hurting you here. As you age, your metabolism does slow down, so could be contributing.

Try to get a walk in right after you wake up maybe?

Another set of exercises is derived from the RCAF 5BX program. These are easy to do, you can do them indoors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5BX

It should hopefully help.

Dom

13. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Great caloric management. But it's the sugars that are getting you. Your body learns to manage the metabolic rates based on inputs (calories by type) and adjusts accordingly. If you take the same calories as protein and fat and minimize carbs (really minimize to an honest 20 grams daily) you are the perfect model to drop 40 pounds in 4 months.

It sounds easy and technically it is - but it's amazingly hard to restrict sugars like this and many people cheat. But it's just chemistry. this approach was invented to attack diabetes T2 and heart disease not weight loss but they go hand in hand.

Too many examples to attack the facts. It not the calories getting you.

Best wishes. You can do this.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Gotta toast that bread a little, man. Toasting converts sugars in bread to be brainfood, not gutflab.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Almonds are very high calorie. I'd lose the almonds, bread and cheese. You need more greens, and reds. Try eating a whole plate of carrots, sliced tomato, cucumber, celery and apple slices. Sweet potato, not white potatoes. You can eat almost unlimited vegetables and not come close to 2000 calories.

16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Man its pure torture just doing what I am already doing.

I could never stick to it if I eliminated the few *treats* I give myself like almonds and a single slice of cheese.

I dont like raw veggies. Could I make myself eat them ? Sure. Could I continue to eat something as a regular staple in my diet that I dont like ? I dont think thats possible.

There is no way on earth I could ever live the rest of my life eating that way. I might look better but I would be miserable.

Thats not a defeatist attitude...its an honest and realistic one. No way I could do it. Might as well tell me I can only drive a Prius the rest of my life or only have sex with ugly girls.

17. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That I didnt know. So toasting the bread is better ?

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well you can choose to do it or wait and be forced by illness to make changes. You're a big guy, and that might lead to heart or other disease.

Its not that you cant have occasional bread or cheeses but if you want to lose weight AND be sedentary then you have to limit it to breaks every few days or one per week. like others have said you can have a day off but otherwise restrict your choices the other days.

19. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    In all seriousness Id rather live life to the fullest and die in my 50s than live miserably until my 70s. We all have to make priorities in life. Longevity isnt really a high priority for me.

If I had kids Id probably think differently.

I had a full physical with all the heart tests a year ago and they said I was healthy as a horse. No high blood pressure. No high cholesterol. No sign of diabetes. Nothing wrong at all.

I do need to be more active. Wish i could get people to go play paintball with me as its the only physical activity I enjoy.

Whats sucks, as you know, is there are so many people who are just as sedentary and eat worse and dont gain weight. My close friend sits at a desk 7 days week, never exercises. Eats worse than me and weighs 60 lbs less.

Annoying.

20. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Was your thyroid level normal? That can effect metabolism.

21. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Add working out to your lifestyle. It really will make your life better. Your body will feel better. It will make your outlook better. There are so many different ways to exercise your body try a different way each month until you find one you like.

When you feel tired or unmotivated DON'T skip your workout just do an abbreviated workout and that way you won't get into a habit of not working out. You might even be surprised at how un-tired and motivated you feel after just an abbreviated workout.

22. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #22 Zack, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    annunaki,
    1. You NEED to work out. It will elevate your metabolism and give you more muscle mass. Muscle burns more seven times as much energy as fat, while you are resting.

2. Your metabolism has probably slowed. Eat more, but eat right. That means, eating foods that don't provide you with additional calories, yet their mass in your stomach makes your body think you are full. There are "zero-calorie" foods that take more energy to digest than they provide. You can snack on them all day long. Good for them, make a list, and only kep those at home.

3. Lose the lousy attitude. "I don't like veggies" and "I can't eat this" should be replaced with "I do like veggies" and "I can eat this". Want to change your body permanently? Then change your mindset permanently as well. If you want to change your life, you have to change your lifestyle. That means liking what you didn't like, eating what you didn't, exercising when you didn't exercise before.

You are only addressing half the equation right now. That's pointless, and does a disservice to yourself as you will lose heart once it doesn't work, despite your "effort". Make sure your effort is correct and complete.

Add in the exercise, add in more calories at breakfast, add in some proper snacks (you are a big guy, your cells need the energy), and you will be set. Remember, your diet should primarily consist of fruits, veggies, lean meats, and nuts (easy on the nuts). That's it. Oh and drink green tea.

For the exercise, keep the sessions short and effective. I would make it two workouts per day, to keep the metabolism rate up. Calisthenics or kettlebells for 5-15 minutes in the morning, and cardio in the evening--bike ride 12 miles or swim for 40 minutes or run 2.5-3 miles. If this is tough, join a gym that has a one hour conditioning class. If you find you have more energy during the day, add in sets of 40-50 pushups whenever you feel like them. Or burpees. Or squats. Or pullups--put up a bar in a doorway and do five every time you go through. Trick is to power through the first week's soreness. After that, it really does become easy, and fun.

After the evening exercise session, eat a big salad and have a small protein shake ONLY.

You will see the change within 4-6 weeks. If not, you need to see a doctor.

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This is a little incongruent with your OP - you said you want to lose weight, not indulge!

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #24 Zack, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    You are trying to justify your stance by framing it into what you have chosen as being good and desirable, and the alternative being (obviously) undesirable. Anyone faced with that choice would make the same decision(s) as you. Maybe try reframing the issue so that it's not a choice between longevity versus pleasure--instead, make it a choice between feeling healthy and energetic versus unhealthy and unmotivated while you are alive, no matter how long that may be for?

You will live however long your circumstances and genes dictate, chances are that diet and health will play a minor role, if any. It's the quality that you want to increase, not the length.

Er, no pun intended in that last sentence.

25. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul

Excellent post

The exercise component is too excessive for a sedentary person to start with...start much slower...a 20 minute brisk walk each day will do wonders....

....I was so sedentary and now I exercise like a lunatic and my metabolism has really revved up..

....but it took me 2 years with a personal trainer 3 times a week coming to my house, setting up an in house gym and IT WAS HARD TO DO!

....for me, the change in routine took at least 3 months before I felt that exercise was becoming a habit

BUT I am still overweight.... sometimes despite good diet and exercise your metabolism can be a curse.... I have a hypothalamus/pituitary condition that messes hormone levels and I supplement with a cocktail of hormone under endocrinologist care....despite best efforts I wil likely always carry some excess weight....when then adjust my meds, my weight can fluctuate up or down quickly.

If you feel you may have an underlying medical problem that is hampering your efforts Jerry, Go get some blood hormone workup done by an endocrinologist...

....if u r normal (health wise hehehe)which I expect you are, eat better, eat more, and exercise preferably with a weight componenet that will start to tax ur muscles and therefore burn calories when you sleep.

beev