COTA's ALMS/WEC events? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

COTA's ALMS/WEC events?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by texasmr2, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    simply solved - I did this for F1 races that were delayed on SPEED in the past - hoolk laptop to big screen tv ! !

So my son calls and talks to the operator, says she's cool and will give more info than the sales guys (maybe she is a race fan or maybe they had a meeting and decided that providing info is in their best interest after my call yesterday??? General admission is just that only; Grandstand seat gets you seat and general admission. Luck of the draw on ticketmaster; specific seats call option 1.

Carol

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #52 texasmr2, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    I will see if I can figure that out before hand, thanks. I wonder what other races have live streaming this weekend so I can see if it will work, any idea?

PS, I checked out the connections from my laptop to the tv and it seem's I just need the HDMI cable, fingers crossed that I have one in storage, which I should.

3. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Thats how we watch the majority of our races and qualifying

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm not much of a tech guy yet may be forced into the 21st albeit while kicking and screaming! lol

5. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Okay guys - here's what has worked for tickets. $79 for GA only; $79 for GA and a seat. Call 512-301-6600 - then 1 - then ask for Jordan (he was actually helpful). M-F 8:30-5:30. Main Grandstand Club areas row 3 the majority of end seats are pre-purchase season passes. But did get 206 row 3 four seats on end - under canopy (definitely a necessity in TX in September). Tickets and parking pass are sent to you via FedEx. If you go online to purchase it's the luck of the draw for whatever comes up on ticket master - if you don't like what you get, you keep starting over and over and over and over. . . . until you get a plastic seat that makes you happy. They would be crazy not to follow protocol of ALMS and WEC and their fan friendliness. If you already do not have hotel reservations in Austin, the LaQuinta locations of Capitol, airport, MoPac, Cedar Park, Marble Falls have no rooms. Oltorf has rooms as does the LQ south location - Oltorf is very convenient if you want to go down town or to Toll 130. Left onto Oltorf from the LQ takes you to the Congress Street intersection, right takes you into the downtown area across Congress Street bridge. Kansas State plays the Longhorns on Saturday the 21st at a time TBD so there will be mucho traffic and people in Austin, what else is new. Hope this helps a bit.

Carol

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    LMAO, post of the f-ing year! Anyone second? Rob? Rob? Hello?

BHW

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #57 BartonWorkman, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, what you are saying is, there will be co-eds in Austin for the big game/race weekend?

Giggity!

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Bazinga...

The Formula One Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial has named Marty Hunt as director of race operations - Autoweek Racing F1 news - Autoweek

9. iceman35

iceman35 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Any word on the potential start time of the WEC race on Sunday? I'd love to go but unfortunately would need to be back in Indy Sunday night, and it appears a 7 PM flight out of Austin is the latest I can find... I would REALLY like to see those R18's in person before they're gone!

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nope. No event info other than ticket info. COTA event info is being released at its usual snail's pace.

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #63 hairy_scotsman, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    However, when you go to their site, you can see they've gone to great lengths to provide info about how to assist them in their Summer X-Games bid, or about the new "Tower Tours", or the story blowing their horn about the 2012 USGP being voted Best Sporting Event of 2012 by Sports Business Journal, which seems to hand out their awards to people they know, on some sort of rotating basis. The awards seem tied much more to money than to the fan experience.

I'm not sure what the criteria were, but maybe winning that 4th annual award took some of the sting out of not winning the FOCA Promoter of the Year award. 2012 was only the second time in 3 decades that it didn't go to a new GP when there was one on the schedule. Turkey was the other. Before that you have to go back to 1984. Korea even won in 2010 with that fiasco of a GP.

Info about the next race, other than tickets? Nowhere to be found.

14. iceman35

iceman35 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    This may be a silly question, but I think it's worth asking considering how particular COTA has been for a few things, i.e. their proposed ban of SLR cameras....

If you get a reserved grand stand ticket, are you still allowed to roam the spectator mounds??? I'd hate to get a ticket that would limit or viewing options to one location for the weekend!

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Last year I had seats but I also roamed a lot and sat in the GA area's so I could experience different views. Hopefully they are now grassed and not just dirt.

16. iceman35

iceman35 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Great, thank you for the reply!

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    based on the WEC sked at Spa, I wouldn't anticipate any thing earlier than 12:30 - so no way you can make a 7 pm flight out of Austin. COTA is a couple exits south of 71 to the airport. The prices on the "packages" are absurd, totally absurd. Save your money and go to a one of the WEC races, like the last one - the final time P1 will run as they are now. Or wait and go next year - there is much going on the first half of the year. Probably Spa & Silverstone for WEC, the Monaco Historics 9-11 May, Le Mans with the new regs and Porsche.

Carol

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, look at that map, the property advertised is the tract RIGHT next to the west end of COTA.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I did not think it was but had to ask, thanks.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This ad is for where they set up scaffolding (or just tailgate on trucks) and wave thru the COTA boundary fence.

It's been discussed before, how to 'get there".....

21. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #71 hairy_scotsman, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Yes you can roam the grounds with any ticket. Regarding grass, there's more than last year, but they don't water the GA afreas, so it still hasn't really filled in yet. Looks pretty good on tv, but still lots of dirt. Not really great for sitting, and if they have rain for a race, well, it's going to be a mess.

Oh, and based on our V8SC experience, you'd better bring your own shade & be prepared for Austin to still be pretty hot in September. The avg high temp in mid September is a couple of degrees higher in than mid-May, when the V8s were here. There's VERY little shade at COTA, & based on my visit out there yesterday (pics later), it doesn't seem like they're doing anything at all to alleviate the problem. 95 is really no big deal, esp to folks around here. But when there's no escape from the sun and no way to cool off for several hours on end, it gets pretty grueling even for us locals. It'll be worse for people who aren't acclimated to the heat.

22. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes. I know they're hurting for money & all, but I seriously don't know what they're thinking.

23. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I know the man who owns the new camping site shown in green on that map. He recently struck a deal with RVNightly to use his land & improve it for camping. This is a truly great spot where you can see all the way from between T9 & T10 to T12.

24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  25. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #75 hairy_scotsman, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    Sorry y'all. Still no info re: scheduling, support events, pit walks, autographs, etc.

Nothing at all. Business as usual at COTA.

This and the low attendance are probably why Aussie V8s might not return.