cota | Page 14 | FerrariChat

cota

Discussion in 'F1' started by hairy_scotsman, Aug 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #326 hairy_scotsman, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  3. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hearing word that new COTA Chief Strategy Officer Jason Rittenberry didn't last a year and is out.

Also, following up on the WEC to Indy talk, and the questions about who WEC would pair with and whether or not it would return to Austin for 2017, signs are not pointing to a WEC return to COTA next year...I guess.

Hankook 24H COTA Confirmed on 2017 24H Series Schedule - Sportscar365 24H COTA Confirmed on 2017 24H Series Schedule - Sportscar365

Meanwhile, Sportscar365 says a potential WEC-PWC Austin 2017 pairing has been ruled out: Mexico City Thursday Notebook: Mexico City Thursday Notebook - Sportscar365

Anyone here know much about this series? Looks like it may replace WEC at COTA.

Re: the rumors of WEC moving to Indy, WEC officials were there during the 500 talking to Indy officials and touring the facility.

Racer Blog - WEC: Series evaluating Indy round after 500 visit

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep. Not in the braking zone, either, despite attempts to say the bumps are just being caused by the F1 cars.

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    MotoGP: Track drama ahead in Austin?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/motogp/2018/april/motogp-track-drama-ahead-in-austin/#.Wtea4dvIOLQ.twitter

9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Huh. Who could possibly have seen this coming?

Dovi says Austin bumps remain very, very bad...

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/dovizioso-says-austin-bumps-remain-very-very-very-bad-1028421/

And Danilo Petrucci really dropped the hammer. Wow...

Austin MotoGP: Petrucci: COTA bumps a throwback to Hailwood, Agostini! https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/894126/1/petrucci-cota-bumps-throwback-hailwood-agostini

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Epstein's response: The bumps are better. The riders should 'check the tires for lumps'

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/motor-sports/motogp-notebook-some-riders-still-doing-the-bump-cota/DlgHd1NxoC3fPe7qojBSfP/

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Jeez, this is sad to hear. I took my 456M to CoTA for a track day back in early 2015 and it was sublime.

12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oof...

More re: the track from other riders...

Crutchlow: "I think they’ve made a terrible job," he said. "They tried to make it better but they made it worse. I know last year was bad, and now it’s even worse.
    "I don’t understand how we can come to a GP and it’s worse than last year," he fumed. "I love this circuit, but it’s bad. It’s honestly bad that we now come to GPs and the circuit be in this shape."
    "They haven’t really done anything.
    "It’s so dirty, and so bumpy you can’t imagine. I love this circuit, but it’s bad. It’s honestly bad that we now come to GPs and the circuit be in this shape.
    "And it’s so dirty you can’t imagine. You can’t see down the back straight if you’re behind someone."

Rossi: "It’s a disaster," said Valentino Rossi. "For me it’s the worst situation during all the season. You have three or four bumps that are very big."
    “With our bike it’s difficult, because you have a lot of bumps on the straight, so the bike moves very much at more than 300km/h and it’s a critical situation.”
    "Back straight, after the hole, you go up, you go over the crest, [in] fifth and sixth [gears] the bike moves a lot because of big bumps. There are a lot of bumps in the braking [zone] also," Rossi added. "Maybe the biggest one is Turn 18, before the last two lefts, the bodywork touches the ground, so it’s like motocross. Personally, I like very much this track, but the bumps start to be a problem."
    "Last year we asked to do some improvements. They did something, but unfortunately it didn’t work."
    "It was like being at the ranch!" Rossi complained. "You don't see anything in front, and it's very strange ... Maybe coming from the asphalt, but I don't know."

Miller: “We’ve broken a windscreen already with the rocks and the dust," he said. "It’s so bad down that back straight, it’s ridiculous. "It was like big old rocks hitting me at 300km/h," he added. "They felt like bullets. I wasn’t too keen on that." “From my past experience, and my theory, dirt and water on top of a normal track normally don’t combine too well"

Espargaro: 'described the situation as "unacceptable", urging organisers to resurface the track'

http://en.f1i.com/news/301329-cota-track-surface-criticised-motogp-riders.html
    https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-everyone-in-the-racing-world-is-mad-about-th-1825442655
    http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/20296/valentino-rossi-circuit-of-the-americas-track-conditions-fitting-for-motocross
    https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/rossi-worsening-austin-bumps-disaster-crutchlow-1028571/

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Texas soil dances around below all structures. I feel for the guys. Not sure what they can do to fix it. As far as the rocks, can't they just clean it or is the wind blowing pebbles back on the track ??

14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep. Particularly bad soil out in that part of Travis County. I dunno what they're gonna do. I don't think the wind was blowing rocks onto the track. Even if the wind were strong enough, I don't think there's much small gravel adjacent to the track. The runoff gravel is pretty big. Seems like it was just very dirty. Not sure if they cleaned up after the grinding. If not, I can't imagine why, and if so, they apparently didn't do a very good job.

crinoid likes this.
  15. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    ok.......Whats the issue with the Circuit Of Americas Track? Does the ground sink over time and cause bumps and divots? Just curious because I keep hearing issues with the track very year

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Did any of the Moto GP guys complain about the track during or after the race? If they did, I didn't hear about it. Just before.

17. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The soil is a black clay that absorbs and sheds water very quickly, like a sponge. When it's rainy, it absorbs a massive amount of water and expands. When it's dry, it sheds the water and contracts. This leads to lots of pitching, heaving, cracking, etc of the soil. It's always moving around. Not sure if that's the entire problem, but surely it's a big component of the problem.

crinoid likes this.
  18. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  19. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Tickets for the USA Grand Prix go on sale this Friday morning. Two concerts during the weekend, Bruno Mars on Saturday, then Brittney Spears after the race

. http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/f1

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    I was working one of the corners during the motogp race and was doing track walks between sessions. There was a 3x5" hole coming on to the main straight that kept opening up throughout the weekend. It was getting chipped away at, and I'm sure there were other parts of the track doing the same. So those "rocks and pebbles" they kept getting hit with, could have been parts of the track getting ripped up and thrown around. Not only that, cracks were developing on the racing line. Its bad.

jgonzalesm6 and G. Pepper like this.
  21. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Damn. That's awful. Did you happen to take any photos of them?

22. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Only two I got. It got worse. There was a stunt bike doing a show on the front straight and actually did a rolling burnout over it and chewed it up even worse. Can't really tell the depth of them but its about 1"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jgonzalesm6 and G. Pepper like this.
  23. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Whoa. Thanks! That looks like an area where the track was ground down. Is that right? People have been saying that grinding will weaken the surface and eventually something like this could happen...

24. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Not 100% positive but it looks like it was. Exit of T20 onto the main straight. The cracking was worse to the inside of the track, looked like the track settled a few inches from side to side. The cracks started developing on the racing line on exit near the curbing too.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  25. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim