cota | Page 13 | FerrariChat

cota

Discussion in 'F1' started by hairy_scotsman, Aug 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They have to be changing the T1 VIP boxes then!?

They need the damn grass to grow either way.

2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, not sure what they're gonna end up doing.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Those were pretty important six or eight boxes up there!!

President of Mexico
    Governor of Texas
    Red McCombs
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx
    Patron Tequila

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, I have to think they'll end up moving that grandstand back closer to the original spot. Will it be the same as before? Who knows?

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    OBTW, remember the SRO 6 Hour race that was supposed to have been run as part of the PWC weekend, but was then cancelled 5 weeks before the event? They said they were planning to bring it back to COTA later next year, but it looks like that may not happen.

U.S. Round of Intercontinental GT Challenge Planned for 2017, but maybe not at COTA:

U.S. Round of Intercontinental GT Challenge Planned for 2017 - Sportscar365

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It goes unsaid behind every failed deal in the news, there's hours of failed investment by the Track side...

Someone needs some negotiation training.

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    These seats are NOT T1...they are on the start finish line.

Here are their high end seating/ weekend packages. These seats are under the white umbrellas. Closer to the track than all the seats they are selling in these packages. In other words MUCH better vs what they are selling for more $$.

Circuit of The Americas Experiences[]=Premium+Seating

Not my seats. If you are interested PM me and I will connect you.

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry, that post just reminded me of what I was hearing about T1 PSL seats. Didn't mean to make it look like the seats for sale were at T1. Good luck!

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Each? And now they're for sale for $1500?

OOF.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #311 Rifledriver, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Well if your daughters were largely raised under your wife's influence I am sure they are worth every penny so dig deep and buy them the tickets.

As for your last sentence I do have to disagree. If COTA was a private venture it would make no difference but it was built counting on and needing the financial support of the tax payers of Texas so like you, I am part of it like it or not. Every single unbiased examination of the finances of taxpayer supported sporting events or sports stadiums in the USA has shown it has had a negative economic effect on those taxpayers. The last one I read included COTA in their study. Politicians are the same the world over, they will lie even when the truth would serve them better because it is so second nature to them. Selling taxpayer involvement in COTA was as usual done based on the money it would bring into the area and that is based on well understood BS. If it was sold as a cultural benefit or a quality of life thing, so be it but that should be left to the voters decision. At least with the NBA, NFL, MLB there is some hope of long term stability for your dollar. F1 has demonstrated over and over there is none in their case. None of this is lost on the financial community. I am aware of a few large institutions who have been approached (in recent times, after completion) to be financially involved in COTA or asked to straight up buy out some of the private investment and for the reasons I have given have said "No but thanks for the offer". As a tax payer I would like the same option.

12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You make some very good points here. The bold portion esp stands out for me because we've heard over and over that COTA wasn't built with public money, which is technically true for the most part. Epstein and other COTA spokespeople are always quick to point that out, but as even Epstein said recently in an attempt to pry more money away from the state, the track wouldn't have been built if not for all the funding help they were going to get in paying the annual FOM sanctioning fee. In other words, while we didn't pay to build the track, it wouldn't have been built without all the help they knew they'd be getting paying for their content. COTA gets subsidies for practically every race out there. Imho the millions we've pumped to COTA makes the track and its activities very much a public concern.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Exactly. It was a business plan based from day one on tax dollars, that makes it every Texans business. It really doesn't matter which pocket the money came from for which aspect.

I admit to being pretty libertarian and not wanting to see taxpayer dollars going into Bernies and Alonso et al's pockets at least not until you stand there and look me in the eye and make a case for how it will benefit us. We know dollars from tourism is not an equitable trade. If it made economic sense, 100% private money would be there.

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Heads up on the Early Bird Special, see the website for cheap multi turn seats, for Lone Star Lemans, September 15 - 17, 2016.

17. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I don't fundamentally disagree with you that government should not be subsidizing private ventures. That said, COTA was built with private money and a simple revenue model where it would receive moneys in exchange of increased economic activity from events hosted. They took the risk and now facing the consequences (and having to argue their case). Should they fail, investors - not tax payers - are left holding the bag for the building of the track. Conversely, when a city puts out a bond package to build a stadium to draw in a team (like the NFL a non-profit - really??) for a sport that I will never go watch btw, I see that as far more of risk to the local tax-payers than the COTA quid pro quo...especially when that team decides to pack up and leave to a sweeter deal. In sum, COTA may or may not last in its current format, but for now we are getting world class events with minimal tax-payer exposure!

18. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    how about discounted tickets for Texans

19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Already bought them last Week; AND the race is on my birthday (bonus)!

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks like these are the grandstand choices for this year's USGP according to ticketmaster:

[​IMG]

21. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  22. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #322 hairy_scotsman, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  23. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  25. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ...and it also looks like Ratel is taking the Intercontinental GT Challenge Event (originally scheduled here at COTA in March 2016) to Laguna Seca in 2017. Bummer.

OBTW, those PWC boys might be in for a surprise on Labor Day weekend. It's a helluva lot hotter here that weekend than it is at the beginning of March (when it can actually be pretty chilly). It's typically at or near 100 degrees, and the hottest day I've ever experienced in Austin, 112 degrees, was in Labor Day a few years ago. COTA's not a place any sane person wants to spend long stretches at in that kind of heat. The hottest race I can remember out there was V8SC, when it was in the low 90s...and it was absolutely brutal.