Cost to run a 488 Challenge or challenge car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cost to run a 488 Challenge or challenge car

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Stocks, Dec 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    We have seen 2-3 second swings at sebring and Cota at any given time...the most "moody" tracks. You coming out of retirement this year rob?

2. BoardwalkFerrari

Sponsor

May 1, 2009
    Plano, Texas USA
    Full Name:
    Boardwalk Ferrari
    Thank you, Al. Miss you, buddy! Let's catch up sooner, rather than later!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    heck no! I'm happy living in the memories, I got about all I could out of the sport without doing pro racing (amateurs paying $40k a race to call themselves pros ;)).

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    sort of the same phenomenon you get with general aviation pilots? ha ha

there always some screwballs out there, most of us just do it for the fun and the people

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't get that, except maybe those that get commercial for no reason or those that get into aerobatics.

6. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Agreed. His detailed response precisely matches my own experience running track days with two 458CH cars. I've nothing to add, except that the running costs for a 488GT3 are thus far similar to the 458CH.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I wonder how similar the 488 GT3 powertrain is to the 488? My guess is pretty similar, so not that much more complicated or expensive except the ECU tune. I bet the GT3 gets more expensive in all the other suspension and rare body parts, so if you don't dent it or have to play with setup much between tracks I could see very similar costs.

8. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Rob, ever seen the Michelotto price list for e.g. 458 GT3?
    A complete cf body, wing etc ~40.000 euro ex vat
    Ferrari is no different from Lamborghini or Porsche.

9. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    Are the challenge cars running a DCT (and if so the same one as the street model?) or do they have a sequential gearbox?

10. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    458CH and 488CH have similar DCT gearbox same as the street cars, 458 GTE and GT3 have Hewland and 488 GTE and GT3 running with Xtrac Gearbox.

all paddleshift operated except first 458 GTE under ACO rules had Manual stick sequential gearshifters. up to 2012 458 GT3 had paddleshift fixed like the street cars versus the GTE Model had the small paddles on the steering wheel mounted and turned with the steering. this has been also updated on the 2013 onwards 458 GT3 Model as it was possible to have the GTE Steering wheel as Option for the 458 GT3.

488 GTE and GT3 have identical Steering wheels (F1 Style and as Option the classic round steering wheel)

11. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    I know a couple of owners who talk his their young mechanics into doing their jobs for free, telling them what an opportunity it is for them, and that it is all a stepping stone to the big leagues. Shameful.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    when I was 26 getting into racing myself and just bought the 328 I offered to be pit crew if they just paid for travel. I never got any offers think they get enough free local help travel wasn't required.

13. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad

There are only three reasons why car owners in any series would employ unpaid mechanics, and none of them are good (and one of them could very well be illegal - I have seen it happen before my eyes). I believe that even for apprentice mechanics, a per diem is always in order. I don't care about racing any more. I used to and I wish I never had. It cost me way too much money, and I got very little joy in return.
    This even happens in F1. I look at a number of people who have been involved in Formula 1 over the last few years (Briatore, Pollock, di Resta, Jos Verstappen, etc) and I see very little worth liking.

14. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    How does one get started in SCCA, NASA or CCR? Links to web sites?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    all require a racing license, SCCA and NASA have a licensing process, but accept licensing from schools like Skip Barber. I just did the SCCA schools, but many go to Skip Barber or others.

you can rent race cars with full support at track which is easiest if cost not a factor, if on a budget you get your own car, tow vehicle, trailer, and spares.

CCR is Ferrari only and you have to get a team to support you, minimum cost in CCR is about $12k a race. You can race SCCA and NASA closer to $2k a weekend.

https://www.scca.com/pages/club-racing

https://www.nasaproracing.com/

Challenge Car Racing

16. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Thanks.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    There are lots of race support shops around that can make it an arrive and drive experience. The more you farm out the assistance, the more $ you spend.

As far as just doing DE and test days and then expecting to be competitive when the green flag drops and you are surrounded by 20-30 other testosterone pumping guys and expecting it to translate...... forget about it! It all goes out the window when the flag drops. Driving in wheel to wheel racing takes a lot of different skills than just driving, flooding the correct line, hitting the braking points and apex.

It can be done on a budget, if you are able and willing to do some of the work. I ran a vintage Indycar (March/Cosworth 88C) and my bank account lived to see another day. I actually made money when I sold it.

18. MrGT3

MrGT3 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012
    Ok hope this is helpful but i recently purchased a 488c and can share the costs for private / track day non competitive use. Here we go...

Unless you are familiar with race car setup you will need a support crew for the first one or two track days to get you going ( ive done hundreds of track days in road cars and bikes and had to come to accept this is next level so essential to get going safely and with critical knowledge/skills to run car)
    support ~$1000AUD/day
    ties 1 set per day ~$5500AUD
    Servicing every 3-4 events ~$1500AUD ( just fluids, check brakes, bleed lines, inspect)
    Pads 1 set per ~10 ish track days ~$6k fitted ( this is a v dependent on how hard u go and particularly how much u lean on the esc and traction control - if u do, u will go thru rear pads and disks crazy quick)
    Disks 1 set per 4-5kkm $15,000Aud ( this is for ceramic - steels are half this)

if you run the car yourself you need quite a bit of gear. for me:
    Truck and truck mods to support car ( ie car is very low) ~$60,000 Aud (otherwise if someone else transports per event ~$500)
    Ramps and wheel stops ~$1000kAuD
    fuel churn and dry break setup ~$3000AUD
    Rattle gun (price depends wildly on brand and can be truely expensive) ~$1000AUD
    Wheel Socket $?k ( i had mine included with car)
    Air lines and regulator ~$800
    Air cylinders and lance $?K (i had these included with car but are typically not included and are essential)
    Spare wheel set $??,000 ( extra set is essential - i had extra set included with car but last saw sold online auction for $20k€)

I’m hearing some weak points on the 488c car are turbos and lugs on the wheel hubs that get sheared off. neither are “issues” perse just something to watch and good reason to keep on top of regular maintenance and inspections.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4_Eff_Sake, ewright and rob lay like this.
  19. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Does SCCA and NASA have 355 or 360 classes?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there are places they've always fit. I like NASA ST rules because you just go off power/weight ratios. the older Challenge cars can be more competitive than SCCA.

21. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks. The NASA and SCCA websites are so barren and look like they’ve been barely updated since the 90s!
    Where can I find specific information on SCCA or NASA about starting off with a 360 or 355? Thanks so much for any guidance!

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    For SCCA you can search the GCR Car Classifications.

February 2021 - Updated

GT1/ST

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2

T1

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  24. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I was reading about the Ferrari Club of America club competition racing but almost no information exists on it from what I can find. Does it have a large following? Is it just region dependent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I never heard of it getting going, but maybe there are some local chapters doing it? Challenge Club Racing or Ferrari Club Racing Association (same things) was a viable racing series for almost 8 years for retired Challenge racing until a bad accident and lawsuits. Since then a few of those cars have raced in the International GT Series against Porsches etc. https://www.internationalgt.net