Cost of shipping parts from UK to France after Brexit | FerrariChat

Cost of shipping parts from UK to France after Brexit

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I posted yesterday on the Major Service I'm undertaking on my 85QV. One of the big questions I had going in was what would be the impact of Brexit on getting parts shipped to me in France from Superformance in UK. In anticipation of the work, I had ordered the full distribution major service kit before the Brexit deadline. With shipping it was taxed at the UK rate of 19%. No customs or additional taxes were added by france.

Now as we got into the review of the car's systems, I've just placed another order for parts. Under the after Brexit rules, they charged me only the price of the parts as listed on their website plus shipping. The tax is paid to your country of importation in the EU. My bill to Superformance was 838.75 Euros including shipping by DHL.

DHL sent me an email saying they had paid the french custom duty and VAT and I have to reimburse them directly before they deliver to my mechanic. And that in a way is a good thing as it will not be hung up in delivery waiting for me to send money to the French customs folks for them to then release the goods for delivery. So I'll have the parts in two days, same as before. The total includes French VAT on both the parts and shipping service at the french rate of about 22%. Plus there was an additional custom fee on both parts and shipping service that amounted to about 6 %. So the total at the end was an additional 233.50 Euros or 28% of the price of the parts and shipping.

That means that any parts now ordered from the UK will cost 9% more than before Brexit. I know its not Supreformance's fault but in the future I will search out EU based parts wherever possible.. Imagine that ripple effect on everything that UK wants to sell into Europe as we begin to buy from inside the EU.

prober34 likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    DHL's website appears not to agree with 6 % and suggests they charge 2.55 % on entry to France - might be worth a query

Another point is that not everyone can arbitrage different vat rates and have to buy at local retail

3. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    All I did was the math of cost of products and shipping, and what I had to pay to DHL for French VAT and customs charges. My payment to DHL added 27.8% to the total. I believe French VAT is about 22% which is 3% higher than the UK rate I paid before.. That leaves 6% going to something somewhere in the french government as a practical matter. Depending on country of delivery in the EU it might be a bit more or less depending on their VAT and customs fee.

I did see a bill from DHL that showed "douanne/customs fee and some other payment which I assumed was VAT on the shipment service.. Those two charges together totaled about 50 Euros which is the 6%. Unfortunately, the print out I made does not have the detail numbers on them just the total. And I'm unable to retrieve that information now that I have paid. The email I got from DHL did not offer any alternatives but to pay the number they gave me.

I'm not complaining mind you. It is just a personal experience with the consequences of UK leaving the EU. And as I said, by DHL managing the process, I'll still get my parts in 3 days. . The reality remains, that the cost to me is 9%, or 75 Euros, more than it would have been pre-Brexit.

4. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I need to make a small correction. The TVA in UK is 20%, not 19 as I had thought above. So the difference from what I paid before brexit is 8%, not 9.