Cost of private flight ? | FerrariChat

Cost of private flight ?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TTR, May 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I hope this is not inappropriate forum section for the question, but does anyone here have suggestions what would it approximately cost to charter a private one way flight (presumably in a small jet) from Vermont to SoCal for one person and two dogs ?

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Just a rough (minimum) estimate would do, like would it be closer to $10K or $50K or more ?

3. Joey4420

Joey4420 Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joey Shreve
    TTR likes this.
  4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    TTR likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for that.
    Their basic cost estimator suggested +/- $25K, utilizing something called Challenger 300(?). Does that sound low, high, reasonable ? Is the plane too large for needed application or ?

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Work out distance with this flight time calculator, then use approximate hourly rates.

A small plane like a Citation excel (might need a stop) would be around $3,000 an hour. The rub however with private flights that are one way are who pays for the "empty leg". Say the plane lives in White Plains New York, it is flying to say Albany NY (closest to Manchester VT) to pick you up (40 minutes) , then to fly to say John Wayne (5 hours), then back to White Plains (5 hours), you are looking at total flight time of say 11 hours so $33,000. If you can find an "empty leg" of a plane heading back home to CA then it could be half that.

https://flighttime-calculator.com/

TTR likes this.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Challenger 300 kick ass plane, overkill for one person, two dogs.

TTR likes this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks. Great info. Makes sense. I'll pass this on.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Is there possibly some commonly used information center/website where one could try find an "empty leg" flights or would you just have to contact each and every provider separately ?

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    5 to 8k an hour

TTR likes this.
  11. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Call Solairus or Executive Jet Management, or Meridian Air Charter. They won't be the cheapest, but they will get you a safe flight, and that is what is important. Most of the time, you won't be able to pay just one way, although you might be able to get a deal.

On a trip like that, you want something like a Challenger 300, which has a decent bathroom and can make it nonstop. I'm going to guess more like $50-60k with a quality operator.

Watch out for the low-rent guys! They've killed a few people recently. Especially anyone out of South Florida. The empty leg guys might put you with a decent operator, or they might not-- they don't know or care.

TTR likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

14. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Several years ago I needed to get from New Mexico to North Carolina in a hurry. The charter company I called ended up being out of Chicago. It was going to cost me $2500/hr and that was to include flying time from Chicago to Albuquerque to pick me up (3 hrs). Fly from ABQ to Raleigh (4.5hrs) to drop me off and then back to Chicago (3hrs). So I was going to be paying for 10.5 hrs of flight time but I was only going to be on the plane for 4.5hrs. Didn't happen.

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yep, the elephant in the room when it comes to flying privately is who is paying for the empty leg. If it's your charter then it's you!

Generally charter companies will let the plane stay with you if you are flying an average of 2 hours a day, so then you are paying only for occupied time. For example you fly somewhere 3 hours away for a 2 day weekend, the plane will just wait and fly you back, so you fly 6 hours and pay for 6 hours. The same trip for a week is a problem, as you would then have 2 empty legs!

LARRYH likes this.
  16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I guess there is no empty leg problem with me. They keep saying that when it comes to scotch "I have an empty leg."

rob lay and Juan-Manuel Fantango like this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    That's fine, I guess, as long as you don't encounter a "drinking problem", which in my case and where I come from usually happens when one runs out of adult beverages on hand.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Private aviation for us mere financial mortals, or if you cannot deduct the expenses as business, is an expensive luxury. You really need to earn well into the 7s or even 8 figures to do this. But even people who are in that category often are seen in First class instead. If I could afford it, I would only fly private jet. Then it would cost millions, not thousand. Everytime I wait like cattle in the bs HLS line created by a group of radical religions zealots and our political parties, I ask. Where is my G5? That's all I want, and an older one will do.

19. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I wish to thank all who replied and add a note that she opted to have the dogs “shipped” by some service provider specializing in small animal (surface) transport and is flying commercial herself.

21. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's what I did cross country and it worked out well. The dog got there in a little over two days. The transporter was a husband and wife who only do cross country dog transportation. Found them on uShip.
    In my searching, I did find a couple of comapnies who fly pets privately. It's not a charter and costs were much less, around $10k as I recall.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Actual price is much lower from the quotes above.
    For what you describe, a light jet is sufficient, to give you an idea, for a round trip (same day) from Van Nuys (LA) to SJC (San Jose), about 340 miles, on a Phenom 100 operated by Jet Suite was a total of just below $7k.

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

How does that translate to a trip from Vermont to CA as he needed??

Jason Crandall likes this.
  24. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well, his numbers work out to about $21/mile. So using his numbers, VT to CA will cost about $60,000.

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks again for all replies & suggestions.
    While this option wasn’t utilized this time, replies provided useful information should a need arise again.
    She flew in (Commercial) yesterday and dogs, having been picked up Wednesday and driven by single person with an SUV, arrived earlier today.