Corvette: Grand Am vs 80s GTP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Corvette: Grand Am vs 80s GTP

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I raced two seasons in Grand Am. My team, my car and I was one of the drivers. Bought a new Porsche Cup car from Porsche Motorsport. Bought all my own equipment, including truck, trailer, etc.
    A race weekend was about 35k including entrance fee, tires, fuel, crew lodging, food and more. Of course damage was extra but we suffered very little as we had no aspirations of being champions. A DP car would only be slightly more due to higher entrance fee and tires and fuel consumption. Both GT and DP cars are very durable.
    I have also raced in Historic Racing on and off for almost 20 years and have won many trophies, medals and such. A weekend with HSR with my 2000 Porsche GT3R runs about 5k

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That's why I didn't post numbers. The cost of racing varies with each team. Budgets can relate to both car expenses AND entertainment expenses. The later can get very expensive. Hospitality & Food for sponsors can really send the bills upward. Damage is a given. You figure that when you budget for your spares packages along with engine, transmission, rebuilds as well as "off road shunts". Welcome to racing where budgets often get thrown out the window when a championship is in sight. :D

3. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    Ya sorry, I'm talking about Grand-Am Rolex weekends.

Current budgets to run a DP are 2-2.5x the budget of GT. Not including cost of the cars.

I have no idea when ARTNNYC ran in Grand-Am, but I'm in it now and know exactly what it costs to run.

-mike

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Just ran our GT in a Historic race less than a month ago. I know what I paid. My numbers are in the ballpark, but I didn't calculate it to the penny. And, as pointed out, perhaps some of this is comparing apples to oranges? However, all-in, including prep, it was under $25K for the weekend (4-day event). I'm including all costs such as two sets of tires, fuel, and anything else I wrote a check for.

I also know how much it was to run the GT car in GrandAm ~10 years ago.

I have no doubt that a DP car is more expensive to put on the grid. To run up front and compete for the points lead is more.

But, we're all just pikers compared to the LMP guys! Especially the factory works efforts.

CW

5. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Pikers???? When you have the government as a backstop....you can spend yourself into oblivion. You don't have to be held accountable. You just call Arthur Anderson...and they take care of the rest! So......LMP anyone? :D

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Audi spent (and spends) "space shuttle" money on their LMP programme. They should declare themselves their own country and starting printing currency!

CW

7. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    They will after LeMans. Audiland has a nice ring to it! Do you know what the exchange rate will be for Audibucks? :D

8. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #33 MBFerrari, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Coming from the horses mouth right there.

May I suggest something? I raced in the SCCA for about 8 years in a bunch of Spec series', but a couple of other Fchatters race some cars like Radical SR3's and have a great time.

Probably cost about 5-10k per weekend depending on how fast you want to go...just a thought...

Norm Wade has one...here it is:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Drooling over the GTP still, man that car sure brings back fond memory's.

11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Ridiculous amounts of money being spent, Drug dealers fielding more cars that real race teams, hot women, long hours and lousy food......ahhhhh the good ole days!!! :D

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I grew up on the "P Cars" at Lime Rock

I remember Holbert in the Lowenbrau 962, & other 962s, the Red Lobster car, the March's, Fangio Gurney Toyota and at the end the Intrepid GM & the Mazda GTP.

I remember watching a March throw up a 100 ft rooster tail in torrential rain down the front straight & the deep bass of the V8s :)

Great days at LRP

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #38 Turbopanzer, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Memorial Day weekend. The wonderful weekend of racing. Monaco, Indy 500 & Lime Rock IMSA GTP. Life was very, very good!!! Now......"spec" racing. I will take what was. Nothing beats 750-900 hp in state of the art equipment!!! And it was some of the best racing you will ever see. Dyson, Buzby, Tullius & the rest made many very happy! See........a real racing car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Spec racing sux.

I think the P cars were as cool as Can Am

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Oh Yeah!!!! My favorite series!! GTP & Indy Car were next but they killed both too. LMP and LeMans still make my heart race.

1200HP is no laughing matter. But it sure does bring a smile to ones face! :)

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lets not forget those weekends when we not only had IMSA and F1 but we also had Group B Rally.

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yes we did. 400HP over hill and over dale is a wonderful thing!!! :D

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I can remember watching this race like it was yesterday.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRwYgpnpUc]1986 IMSA Road Atlanta - Corvette GTP 1st Win - YouTube[/ame]

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Where have the years gone? Boy that was a real treat to watch. When racing was real and the story line wasn't made up for TV.

See William.......you too can have this to race and win with. Just bring your checkbook and spend spend spend!!!! :D

21. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Went to a bunch of IMSA Races including Columbus 500. Sadly the race that Al died flying out of I think the second year in his own aircraft I believe. That was a sad day, but the cars were awesome.

Rahal even raced there to promote Columbus. My buddy had tickets to a dinner we went to and he was a total dick to us, but we were only 15 so I am sure he didn't care about us since we were not sponsors, but hated him ever since. Graham isn't doing **** either. :D

Those were the days.

MB

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    He wasn't just ****** to you. In my opinion.....not a nice person.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    They have passed by like a blink of the eye haven't they? Back in those days I would stock up on food/booze and another "hint hint wink wink nudge nudge" supply and not leave the house all weekend and be happier than a pig in slop.

Good times!!!

24. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Absolutely!!! Loved to go to IMSA GTP races. Worked for whatever I could get just because the GTP & Lights cars were running. Best part.....my home is about 7 miles from where Al Holbert's shop was in Warrington, Pa. Until the car was sold.....drove by the dealership and would see it in the window on the way to and from work. Loved that car!!!

Now......not a car to love anymore. Just "spec" stuff.