Corvette: Grand Am vs 80s GTP | FerrariChat

Corvette: Grand Am vs 80s GTP

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Didn't we just come full circle? I remember that car. Saw them race Mustang and Jag prototypes. It was very cool. Of course, I was a Vetter through and through at that time.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The older GTP car will be far simpler to maintain and operate. Basic stuff. However, spares would be a concern.

The newer DP would be more complex, but it's surely run by laptop, and you will need someone with a different skill set. The troubleshooting is therefore easier, but there are also more sensors and things that can go wrong.

Also, the modern DPs are far more driver-friendly. They're easier to drive (with power assisted steering and brakes and X-trac transmissions). They're more comfortable with more attention paid to keeping the driver fresh for long stints. One's a job. The other is a pleasure. But, they'd both be fun but you'd also have to ask what you want to run them in. If you're just looking for a fun track day car, the DP might be the way to go. If you're looking to run in a Historic GTP series...

Lastly, you might consider whether the GTP car had enough development in it. I can't recall that car, specifically, but there's a pretty good book on the GTPs that you might pick up. It did discuss the Corvette GTP. You might gain some insight into what the drivers thought of it at the time. Did it have any nasty tendencies? Was it hot? Was it slow? Was it difficult to get the set-up correct? There's a LOT of teams running the DPs, so the knowledge base may be wider.

CW

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Lots of good info

Thanks

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Think tube frame v. carbon fibre!

CW

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #6 WILLIAM H, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Did the GTP cars have a Carbon tub, aluminum monocoque, or tube frame ?

Seems the DP cars have tube frames. Nice & strong & cheap to fix

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Corvette GTPs were aluminum honeycomb. Lola T710.

CW

8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One word..........cost. GTP will eat you out of house and home. Most parts are special made. requires machinist and a large checkbook. Either car is a beast when it comes to maintaining. If you going to race for real......DP. It won't hurt as much.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The GTP Corvette was beastly fast on the high speed circuits like Daytona and Watkins
    Glen. I remember van de Merwe going four wide, passing cars inches from the wall
    at Daytona and the car sticking like glue where no one else dared to go at the Daytona
    Finale in 1986.

One of the issues the GTP Vette had was fuel mileage however. The car was thirsty
    compared to the other competitors Porsche, Jaguar, Ford, etc. So, many times any speed
    advantage they may have had in qualifying was erased in races due to the fact they'd
    have to pit for fuel several laps before the competition.

I want to think also that the GTP had some real issues over bumps. They never ran
    at Sebring (at least the Hendrick factory cars didn't) for example as they never seemed to
    manage bumpy circuits so you have to think it was a really stiff chassis.

When getting into this realm, you have to consider what it costs per hour to operate the
    car. Taking into consideration fuel, tires, routine maintenance, etc., the more modern
    car would likely be the more economical way to go.

BHW

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You suppose an LS7 or LS9 would fit in there ?

I'd like to put the V6 Turbo in my garage as a museum piece & not endanger it

Re $ I think the GTP can be bought for 50% of the $ of the DP. That would fund a few seasons in the GTP :)

A friend just bought a Porsche 962 so we can have some fun

11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    What class are you going to race this in? Vintage? Awful expensive to race just for kicks.

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hopefully HSR & just for kicks

Next best thing to racing an F14 :)

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    As long as your prepared for the costs....best of luck with it. I knew the late Al Holbert and his father Bob and both told me the cost to run the 962 Lowenbrau Porsche, and to say the least it was hideously expensive to feed. I see this car as being no different. One of a kind cars do have a way of exciting the brain of a racer until you get presented with the first load of bills. Then reality sets in. In either case...good luck with whatever car you choose.

14. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My crew chief says about $15k per weekend LOL

But I'll keep my cheap toys too

Getting a Go Kart next yr so I can race w my son

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

William,

if you are serious about the gtp. please let me know and I will put you directly in touch w/ chuck mallet. chuck was seriously involved in the gtp development. basically no one can tell you more about the 900 hp monsters!!!!!

he knows where they are as well. btw, rick hendrick is not going to sell his.

pcb

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Driver Bill Adam has reminded me he drove the Hendrick GTP Corvette to
    pole position in the IMSA GT Finale at Daytona which must have been in 1986.

He also reminds that there were two distinct versions of the the GTP Corvette
    in the 80s, one was a V6 Turbo and the other was a V8 normally aspirated. The factory
    Hendrick team used the all potent Turbo units while independent teams ran the V8s.

BHW

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Well..... that's cheaper than a Porsche. Alwin Springer makes that on just a tune up of a 962 engine. :D

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Competitive racing is a whole other level. So, what Holbert & Co. talked about is probably in line with what they spent (at the time) to be at the front in a competitive race series like IMSA in the GTP class. And, that was back in the day when the factories weren't putting cars on the track here. Holbert probably was as close to a factory team as any. And, Joest came over for Daytona, but didn't often run much, if any, of the remainder of the IMSA schedule. With guys like Audi in the mix today, add a comma. Or two. Just to be on the same lap. If you want to win, spend even more!

To run a car competently and safely, you're going to have to spend something, and $15K a weekend is probably a reasonable estimate, based on what I've spent for Historic racing. That probably includes transport and support at the track, but not the prep work to get the car ready. So, factor in about 20-25hrs of tech time in advance. If you wish to think about that differently, that's fine, but it's all about putting the car on track, which is the variable. That does not include re-builds or crash damage.

However, what drove (and drives) the costs up for racing is that after each and every race, those cars were (and are) completely stripped down to the tub and every component is examined/inspected/fluxed/xrayed or whatevered and replaced, if necessary, to ensure it's not predicted to fail. Then, there's the issue of timing-out. Porsche 962 motors, IIRC, are timed out at just over 24 hours. Just long enough for the big endurance events. That's at race boost (maybe not as high as qualifying boost), of course. Dial the boost down, and extend the life. But, how many hours do you intend to run it per season. Re-builds aren't annual events, unless you're driving a lot. So, that works on the motor, to some extent, but other components time out even without usage (such as every 6, 12 or whatever months even if you're not driving them). All of this does contribute to the cost of upkeep and maintenance above and beyond racing. You won't be doing this if you're just having fun. You will do annuals, maybe. And, you will stretch the life out of the components, and that's okay if you're not racing for points. As long as you're comfortable with the fact that you're life is in the hands of the guy who tells you the car is good to go. Race cars ought to be cost-no-object, and blank-check. But, for us mere mortals, it's probably more along the lines of I've got $x to spend this season, I want to do y events. Figure it out. Is it good enough?

As I said, a good mechanic can figure the GTP out. It's not that complicated. I'd be concerned with what happens if you stuff it. Where are you going to get the molds to pop another spoiler and front hood? Or, if you damage the control arms, who's got the spares for patterning? Or, if you need a fuel filter, and it's not an off-the-shelf part, do you have one in your parts inventory? Do you carry one as a spare in your trailer? There's nothing more frustrating than having to pack the car up because you don't have the part you need. A DP is another level of complexity, however, and you'll need someone who's good with software, which is a different skill. It's available, though.

As to what motors might fit in the T710, I wouldn't even have a guess. However, going normally aspirated might be a better decision from a cost standpoint, over the long term. Turbos add complexity and more components to worry about and keep track of. Also, the more stressed the motor, the more attention it's going to need. You'd need to change engine management systems, but that's not impossible to figure out, either.

CW

19. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    It costs about $200k per weekend (minimum, $600-700k for something like Daytona) to run a competitive DP.

-mike

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Glad I'm not writing the check!

CW

21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Your referring to a complete "professional team", That includes all the expenses. Not just equipment, but all the personel and transportation of everything required. Correct?

22. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I have no idea where these posters get all these crazy numbers? Instead of pulling figures out of a hat ask some people who have actually raced both in pro and historic series.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Care to offer some insight?

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes probably in todays Grand Am series w your own 18 wheeler, new RV, paying drivers, entertainment for sponsors etc

If you just want to run it on a track day, vintage race a GTP or in a local series the cost is a fraction of that though

25. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer