Coolant temp at the racetrack | FerrariChat

Coolant temp at the racetrack

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by jag-oo-r, Jun 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    #1 jag-oo-r, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    All:
    Today was a first for me.
    I've driven Ferraris at the track before.... but this was my first time to drive MY Ferrari at the track. BIG difference, haha.

I spent most of the day in my modified track-oriented Porsche. But right after lunch I took the F430 out for a session.

What a great car! It truly, truly is a great car. And I now understand the F1 trans even better.
    The stoptech brakes installed by the P.O. are good, but not up to track duty, really. And, the Michelin 4S tires don't stick the way my nitto nt01's do, of course. So I didn't get too crazy. But what a hoot!

Here's what I could use some help with, though: coolant temp. I had to come in because the coolant temp was rising above my comfort zone. It didn't get into the red, but it was past the line before that. If I do the math, the red zone starts at 245d, and the line before that is 227d. So I was probably 230-ish.

Now: we're at nearly 5000' of altitude there, and it was around 95d ambient. Those are tough conditions. But my Porsche, for instance, can run a full season with no coolant heating issues. I wasn't taking with anyone else who was having temp issues today. (Mine was the only Ferrari).

Waddy'all know? Any experience you can help with?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Storms

Storms Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ron Tempest
    Same question, would like to hear from some 430 track rats who know what the normal coolant temps are in the 430. I just took my 430 on the track for the first time with the same coolant temps as jag-oo-r. It was only 85 degrees at 5000 feet and my 911 turbo would be running 180 degrees. Any insight would be appreciated.