"Cool the Engines"-- Banning Certain Qualifying Modes (Mercedes) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Cool the Engines"-- Banning Certain Qualifying Modes (Mercedes)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Battery capacity.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I mean that they still could have another engine map disguised as "overtaking mode".

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The FIA can read historical data from the ECU to check violations

Bas likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's my worry too...well they of course have this button already. It basically gives 100% of the ERS.
    True...but I hope they have live data for this as no one wants to watch the race where we have to wait a few hours to see if anyone hasn't used the wrong map...

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This is being rushed even with a Monza delay. I see this being delayed further given the nature of your post above.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    They could goose up the engine map with the overtake button. I do not know if they do or don't or do on some circuits and don't on others.

Looking forward the engine map is going to be constant, so battery capacity comes to the forefront.

8. DF1

So nothing will change overall. Nothing. This is a stupid idea. Why innovate. Just clone a Mercedes and issue the cars to the teams. Spec it and be done.

9. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151855/hamilton-finds-party-mode-ban-saga-amusing

Lewis Hamilton finds the saga surrounding Formula 1's ban on qualifying engine modes "amusing" as he questions the real reason for the change.

From this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, the FIA has outlawed teams from using any special 'party modes' to boost engine power for single laps in qualifying.

Instead, teams will have to run with consistent modes throughout qualifying and the race.

While the FIA stated that it was imposing the ban because it wanted to be more confident about its policing of what teams were up to with engines, Hamilton said he is intrigued about politicking from other teams.

"I find it kind of amusing because the FIA said that it was so they could manage everyone's usage of the engine or something like that," explained Hamilton ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

"And then Red Bull came and said: we were the ones just pushing for it. So it's just completely different reasons why they did it."

Hamilton and team-mate Valtteri Bottas are both convinced that, while the ban will impact their team, they think the difference will be minimal.

"I think naturally we lose a little bit," added Hamilton.

"But it's not the end of the day. So I think everyone potentially would lose something but maybe some more than others. And no one particularly knows I think."

Bottas backed up the view that the change will free up better engine modes for the race, as the engines would not be so compromised on reliability by having to run at full power in qualifying.

"I think in qualifying, honestly there is going to be a small difference," said the Finn.

"It's not huge. But then in the race hopefully, it seems like we are overall going to have a better race time with a decent mode all through the race."

Williams driver George Russell reckoned anyone hoping for the engine mode ban to hurt Mercedes would be in for disappointment.

"If anything it's only going to help them even more in the race, so the whole idea of trying to slow them down is actually going to go complete the opposite way," he said.

"It's only going to enhance their performance.

"I think on a Saturday it will probably compromise us a tenth of two, but we expect it to also compromise the other manufacturers a tenth or so.

"So we are probably a net one tenth down on a Saturday.

"But on a Sunday we're definitely net up by a big margin.

"And I think what Mercedes has done to improve the engine to allow us to run a very high engine more for the whole race is really impressive and she's going to be flying on the Sundays."

Racing Point's Sergio Perez reckoned, however, there was a risk of more engine failures this weekend as the result of teams perhaps pushing harder in the races.

"We don't know how hard the others can run their engines in the race, we will see," said the Mexican.

"I think certainly it's going to hurt us a bit in qualifying.

"And it's to be seen how much we are able to gain back in the race compared to others. It's all relative.

"So I think it's just a matter of waiting for this weekend.

"This track is very hard on engines, so there might be some engines blowing up out there this weekend.

"So it will be important to make it to the end. And it will be very interesting to see the differences across teams."

william likes this.
  10. DF1

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-red-bull-engine-modes-ban-monza/4869091/

Valtteri Bottas is "not sure how happy Red Bull is now" with the ban on Formula 1 engine 'party modes' after Mercedes dominated qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix.
    Mercedes swept to a front row lock-out at Monza as Lewis Hamilton scored his 94th F1 pole position, edging out teammate Bottas.

Third-placed driver Carlos Sainz from McLaren was a distant eight tenths of a second off the pole time, while Hamilton's lap was a new track record, setting the fastest average lap speed in F1 history.

Mercedes' domination came despite the FIA's ban on changing engine modes through qualifying and the race via a technical directive, stopping teams from using their high-power setting, also known as "party mode".

Read Also:
    Bottas said after qualifying that he was not sure how happy Red Bull would now be with its push to try and get the technical directive pushed through, as it could only qualify as high as fifth with Max Verstappen.

"The pace I had in the long runs and we had as a team, we're looking strong," Bottas said.

"With the engine regulation change for the modes, it's going to be even better for us in the race than before. Hopefully it will be good.

"I'm not sure how happy Red Bull is now with this engine change."

Asked by Motorsport.com if he missed using party mode on his car, pole-man Hamilton remained coy.

"I don't even think we ever had a party mode," Hamilton joked.

"It's something someone else made up. Who knows if we even used that mode at Spa anyways?"

11. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    william likes this.
  13. DF1

Certainly not at Monza. Honda is not up at all to Mercedes power and the Red Bull aero is not fully sorted either. Max can drive around some of the deficiency but not Albon.

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151913/mercedes-planned-party-mode-ban-contingency--wolff

Toto Wolff has revealed that Mercedes was preparing for a ban on Formula 1 'party mode' engine settings before the FIA issued its technical clampdown.

This weekend's Italian Grand Prix is the first race where teams have been banned from changing engine settings during qualifying and the race, requiring them to run a single mode throughout the sessions.

It was seen as a move to try and rein in the dominant Mercedes cars, but Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas swept to a front row lock-out at Monza in qualifying on Saturday.

Hamilton's pole time was eight-tenths of a second faster than third-placed Carlos Sainz Jr's effort for McLaren, showing few signs that Mercedes' advantage had been cut.

Speaking after qualifying at Monza, team principal Wolff said that Mercedes had been preparing for the ban on engine mode changes even before the FIA communicated the ruling, reacting to opposition it saw growing.

"The way we operate is about extracting performance, and being as adaptable as an organisation, almost the Darwinistic principle, to confront every possible situation that comes up," Wolff said.

"Once it was clear that the lobby against our qualy mode has grown, much before the TD came out of the regulations, we shifted our development work towards that situation.

"Today, we've seen for the first time how the level of performance has changed between the teams, and there are some interesting outcomes.

"I think maybe the ones that pushed the hardest didn't show great performance today.

"The biggest advantage we have focused on is to gain race time, and that happens tomorrow. But you don't want to praise the day before the evening.

william likes this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

He should focus on his teammate instead of being Wolff’s spokesman. He really has no charisma.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #68 william, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020

That's what I like at Mercedes; they react immediatly to a new challenge and soon find the solution to it.
    Their reaction time is better than any other team.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL
    You think they have a lot of charisma at the Scuderia?
    Bottas is a good team player without an inflated ego.

18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    It seems that only Mercedes chassis and engine engineers work diligently. The other teams appear as dilettantes in comparison. I still find it hard to believe that human investment is equivalent to Red Bull and Ferrari..

19. DF1

Both LH and Bottas made comments towards Red Bull. I think Red Bull should worry about their internal issues than focus on Mercedes lol

william likes this.
  20. DF1

This is an amazing organization. As I posted before - Ferrari are racing, Mercedes is focused on winning at every opportunity. Its a different mind-set it appears. They see opportunity in change.

21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

I couldn't agree more sir ..

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Translation:: since we saw the ban coming, we took 0.1 seconds out of qualifying performance, and this will allow us to run 0.1 seconds faster per lap in the race (tires permitting).

23. DF1

Yes exactly. The compensation needed was on hand.............