Convertibles - Does the negative attention ever make you wish for a coupe? | FerrariChat

Convertibles - Does the negative attention ever make you wish for a coupe?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RonHoward, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RonHoward

RonHoward Rookie

Dec 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Howard
    I've just sold my hardtop 360 and I'm watching auctions for a hardtop f355. I'm learning that these never come up for sale, and when they do its at a nearly 2x premium. This has me considering a convertible.

Driving dynamics totally aside, the real reason I never go with a convertible is because in a car like this, I'm afraid the attention will be too much. I am very aware of how much attention even an older car like a 360 still gets in my area, and I already have the problem of being unable to visit a fuel station without answering "whats that cost" for the 1000th time. If I have the windows down, I'll probably get into a stoplight conversation with someone asking "whats that cost"

I'm afraid I'd never put the top down because it would be 10x worse. Everyone is looking at you, and you cant escape the people trying to ask boneheaded questions about what you do for work. I dont want every stoplight to be an interview with a stranger.

Am I overthinking this?

Midnight Oil, ryalex and Mel Spillman like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes.

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    +10000

Il Tifoso likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've never noticed more or less attention in my California with the top up or down. If it's a concern, get a more subdued color, ditch the shields, and reduce the number of external cavallinos (wheel caps, grill, etc.), drive during off times, etc. Personally, I don't think it's an issue. Also. Develop a repertoire of stock answers to the stock questions "I stole it!", "I only drive at the speed limit ", and "Yes, it's a Corvette!".

In reality, 99.9% of people don't know or care it's a Ferrari, and the remainder tend to be enthusiasts, and the interactions positive.

T

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I wouldn't own a Ferrari if I couldn't have gotten a convertible.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I bought a 458 coupe just to get a spider. I think many have.

ScottS likes this.
  7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    yes and sorry for saying this but if you are tired , bored or annoyed about having to talk to people at the gas station about a fabulous car such as a Ferrari that most people never even get to see in person let alone are lucky enough to be owners like ourselves, it might be time for some introspection.

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So you bought a Ferrari and don’t want people to notice?

That’s like wearing a mink coat to a PETA convention.

I don’t believe you. I think you are all about the attention. :eek::D

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So eloquently put.

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  10. RonHoward

RonHoward Rookie

Dec 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Howard
    I hugely disagree. I have no issue with enthusiasts. I take issue with all of the low-class types who ask the same old "what did you pay for that?" "What do you do for work", etc. Its not like they're actually trying to have a conversation. Anyone can look up what it is and find the price. I just think its rude, and that compounded with how often I have to answer those questions has really gotten old over the years.

On top of that, It sort of grosses me out that people buy these cars specifically because they want attention. I like to drive. I dont care about status symbols or what random people on the sidewalk think of me. I love the car and want to enjoy it without people gawking. I understand that is just part of ownership, but it does get old when I'm just out trying to go for a drive and enjoy myself while constantly being interrupted by people. I cant be the only one who feels this way? I buy for the driving experience, the brand doesnt matter to me personally.

fassi, AlexBen and Midnight Oil like this.
  11. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I was out driving my 360 Spider (with the top up) the other day and was at a red light when this older lady ( I would say 60-65 with gray hair) pulled up along side and said " that is one awesome looking machine"! I said thank you very much then she said Merry Christmas as she was driving off! I will NEVER forget that. Makes me smile right now as I am writing this.

VAF84, Il Tifoso, ryalex and 3 others like this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree, it's a bit rude to ask $$$ questions, especially when 99.9% of folks could look it up on their smart phone in a few seconds.

@RonHoward - if I might ask, where do you live/drive, and how common are exotics there?

T

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If they ask, just tell them you don't know the price. Because you work for the owner and you had to take it to get filled up and hope it doesn't get scratched while in your hands.

Caeruleus11 and Husker like this.
  14. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I
    Sounds like you may have had a few less than nice interactions. I'm a new F-car owner, but I've been an enthusiast for 40+ years! Like most here, I love sports cars. As far as a driving experience, buy a Miata, buy an Elise, buy a 911...all great cars....not one is a Ferrari. People that like cars, know the marque and probably love your car...as long as you don't give them a reason not to. The younger guys that want to show up your Ferrari in their less expensive, high-performance car...let them. You can take a stripper to the ball or you can walk in with Cindy Crawford...I know who I'd rather spend more than one date with. If the attention really bothers you, de-badge, wrap matte black, and tint your windows like a limo. I laugh when the Mustang GT or Civic, for that matter, wants to race and I'll happily let them get the ticket as they show off their superior machine and shame my Ferrari. When people ask how much my car costs I tell them "More than my first house...but you only live once!"

Perhaps you should only drive late at night and refuel at extremely odd hours to avoid any cretins ;-)

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

I look at like I’m very lucky and others admire my cars that I’m the steward of for now. Of all my Ferraris, the 360 spider in Argento gets the most attention and comments. I can be the EFF OFF owner or I can smile and nod and make small talk.

The other night I drove too down 50 miles to Daytona for a business dinner. It ended late and I needed gas before heading home. At the gas station a very attractive woman pulled in to do the same started making small talk, first about the car then in general. She finished filling up gets in her car and gets out again to give me her card. She tells me came see her at her work - the strip club down the street.

There’s that.

If you don’t like attention buy a lotus or Maclaren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAF84, Il Tifoso, Husker and 3 others like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    It comes with the territory, you just have to ask yourself whether the advantages of having a driving experience that is miles above a coupe is worth answering a mundane question or two sometimes......

I decided no, so I bought something that is very subdued and blends with all the Fords and Chevys out there:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, Themaven, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  17. RonHoward

RonHoward Rookie

Dec 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Howard
    I'm in Florida near fort myers. Very uncommon. I think the last time I saw an exotic car out on the roads aside from myself was over a year ago. I would imagine those of you in a place like LA have it a bit difference since its more normal over there.

tomc likes this.
  18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I guess it all depends on what the convertible is. I have a red 612 and get a fair number of comments (all favorable). But a couple of years ago I got a 65 Vette convertible. The comments are off the charts as compared to the 612. Everybody loves it. I have had bikers come up beside me and strike up a conversation at 50 MPH. A while ago a lady in a parking lot that was at least 70 came over and said it was her favorite car of all time. Every time I take it out 2 or 3 people want to talk to me about it. Love going out for cruises.

19. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #19 SRLC716, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    I have a ‘65 Mustang convertible restomod, and an ‘03 360 spider 3 pedal convertible.

Both are loud with fairly unobstructed exhausts.

Both are darker colors, ivy green and tdf blue.

I’d say I I get significantly more attention in the mustang, and from all ages, races, socioeconomic statuses, and genders. All positive, and usually initiated from some sort of nostalgia.

I get about half as much attention from the Ferrari, and again, nearly all positive. Sometimes I can tell by their opening tone they’re expecting me to be a jerk; I just try to engage them with some positive energy back and it’s always worked out well!

The most “negative” interaction I’ve had as a guy rolled down his window a few weeks back at a red light and said “nice beetle!” That made me laugh pretty hard!

If you don’t want to interact with people at all, a convertible certainly will put you in positions you don’t want. That said, in my experience it’s not that frequent, and it’s yet to be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
  21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If you want performance but don't like attention, take a page from my uncle:

Back in the 80s, he bought a brand new white Oldsmobile 98 Brougham and had an engine builder here put a racing transmission and engine in it and upgraded the brakes, while keeping the car looking totally stock. He would come up to Trans Ams and Corvettes at lights and challenge them to race, and would completely blow them away.

It was a treat to watch.

22. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'm surprised there aren't more exotics in the Fort Myers area since it is sandwiched between Naples and Sarasota which have plenty.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    beautiful car, and it doesn't surprise me. Ferrari often has a snobbery factor that makes it less approachable. Your 65 Vette is a beauty!

Reacherman1022 and RonH like this.
  24. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I think lots of people ask those 'stupid' questions because they can't think of a better way to start a conversation. I am trying to see the 1/2 full glass.

Reacherman1022 and davem like this.
  25. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Oddly enough, I'd go with the stripper. BUT, I never would have bought the Lambo instead of the classy Ferrari!

G8TD likes this.