Convertible top trim piece | FerrariChat

Convertible top trim piece

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Oct 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Does anyone recognize this part under the Tenex fastener?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Is it possible that it is part # 64620800 in passenger compartment insulations page 109 for spider.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Why would 64620800 be called "panel insulation" in the catalogue? Is it riveted on?

I have a problem with these corners as the new fabric folded under the trim piece above that part in too many layers. My corners now sit a a millimeter above the body.

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Are you replacing the top? I need to do this job.....if you are, please share your experiences.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    WATSON likes this.
  5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Julia likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Same here. It took me 4 years to build up the courage :D 5 years later, and I'm still not finished.

Just make sure that the aftermarket top is not too small (1/2" undersized is ok as you can stretch it with heat, but anything more than that can be a problem). Just document everything with videos and photos. The layering of fabric on the metal rib that goes on the base of the window was confusing (I made sure I got that right). It's important to mark the up and down on the metal rib.

Just take your time. Read everything two or three times. Assemble all the things you need beforehand (see my checklist in that second thread). Use the roof off time to touch up the black paint on the roof structure if required.

I believe that if you're careful, you can get the old canvas off the roof without destroying it. If anything goes drastically wrong with the new canvas, you may be able to refit the old canvas.

7. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    these screws are shorter than the other screw fittings that you get on a 355 and are specific to the soft top.

8. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I replaced my soft top with an aftermarket US supplied soft top, can't remember the company but I'm sure I got the record somewhere. I think it was about $800 for five years ago. Make sure you have the correct contact glue, it needs to be heat resistant to withstand the sun once it has dried. The hardest part of the job is the bottom of the back part below the rear window. I used lots of clips to glue this to the metal frame that bolts to the back of the car. The tricky part is making sure that when you cut off the excess material you have sufficient to wrap this around the metal bar. Make sure you clean off all the residue from the previous glue and all surfaces are clean. Don't stick the internal support bars until the very end. It is a fiddly job and takes time but it is doable if you make sure to proceed slowly.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

I made the mistake of removing the fabric on the rearmost support bar. It's not even glued to the roof and was still in good condition. Another mistake I made when fitting the roof was to not adjust the most forward section (over the window) properly (initially). I should have moved it as far forward as possible so as not to squash the rubber fittings the side.

Sorry for the thread creep.

10. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Perhaps this is a better photo of what I am looking for:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I believe they are left and right specific and while it looks like rubber, it is not....more like foam

any one with extensive knowledge of the parts manual know where this part can be found?