Convert 228 from manual to automatic... | FerrariChat

Convert 228 from manual to automatic...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by F456M, Mar 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys.

I am now buying a 228 with a buddy, and he want to have an automatic car. But it is manual... which parts do I need to do this conversion?

The obvious things are:

1) Brake pedal only (is this a complete part with all two/three pedals, or are the throttle pedal a separate unit etc.?)

2) Automatic transmission.

3) Torque converter (does the flywheel need to be changed aswell, or can it fit in exchange for the cluch on the manual car flywheel)?

4) Shift lever. I have seen that the Quattroporte IV Seicilindri and Ottocilindri (2nd of the three versions of this car) has a different and more elegant transmission shift lever than the 228, 430, 222 SR and the 1st version of the Quattroporte IV (2,8 l. only). Any idea if this will fit?

5) The differential probably need to be changed aswell. If I remember ringt the ratio was 3,77:1 on the Automatica (and 2,0 manual) and 3,31:1 on the manuals. So will a 2,0 Ranger differential fit?

6) Propeller shaft. I guess this is shorter for an automatic?

please give me your thoughts.

is there anything to look for like typical problems on the 228s? I have had several Biturbos and Ghiblis, but never a 228!

Thanks
    Erik
    Oslo

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    There are probably more 228 built with automatic transmissions than 5 speeds.

finlandese and F456M like this.
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ok thank you. What about sunroofs? Did they come with sunroof? Was ir a normal option?

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And you should find the cleanest one of those and buy that instead. I'd venture a guess that there are zero NOS parts available for this so you'd have to find a 228 automatic that's been wrecked.
    You'll still end up fabricating a bunch of stuff as well. Those were fairly rare cars.

F456M likes this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have already found and bought a manual car with a friend. We are going to pick it uo in a month or so when/if travel restrictions open up a bit. My buddy and co-owner wants automatic, and I am fine with that as I normally run my other manual cars. So a seap could be done.

6. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    There appears to be an eBay seller in Lithuania who is breaking an auto 228. Easily found with ‘Maserati 228’ in eBay search. gearbox, diff and gear selector are all listed.
    I still can’t help feeling that the less painful path would be to persuade your friend that driving a manual 228 would actually be quite fun.(assuming they have an appropriate licence of course).
    Once the drivetrain is out, I would say you are in grave danger of the project stalling whilst you try and find the essential - but unobtainable widget which is required to make it all work properly.

All IMHO of course. Good luck and happy hunting.
    Mark.

Nembo1777 and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #7 F456M, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Thanks a lot. I understand all this. I doubt it will ever happen, but it is a bit interesting to check it and see what is the required work.