Considering switching 812 for a Lusso | FerrariChat

Considering switching 812 for a Lusso

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 33pds, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    I previously used my F12 as a dd, but the roads in the East have deteriorated so much that I rarely drive my 812 which is its replacement. I wondered if I should swap into a Lusso since I presumably could use it as a dd. Any advice from folks with experience with both 812/Lusso?

SECRET likes this.
  2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No experience on both. Have driven an 812 and own the Lusso. I’m in Springfield MA. Roads here are rough also. Not sure there is much advantage. Gotta be careful with the Lusso also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SECRET likes this.
  3. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks--super helpful POV. That's what I feared. Answer might be to just drive the 812 and accept the consequences...

Jordan68 likes this.
  4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have both and the 812 is a nicer drive, much more sporting. Both great cars but they aren’t the same thing. Lusso is a proper GT and has very sporting feel but 812 is a true supercar. Lusso is an everyday Ferrari. Should that be an oxymoron?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks for your comment. That is indeed the trade-off since I can't have both--the dd GT or the sports car. I like to dd my cars, so I wondered/hoped the Lusso might be a best of both world's scenario. I think the Lusso is a great car, but may not really be an 812 substitute. Thanks for taking the time to think about my question.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It is not the hypercar the 812 is- but in a weird way, I have more fun with the Lusso because of the extra usability. I think you should just go test drive one and see.

Lukeylikey and RamsHmb like this.
  7. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Lusso in the long run you will enjoy more. It will be hard to get proper low milage car later on but one can find low milage 812 more likely for the same reason of being a sports car not easy to drive every situation.
    So, buy lusso and enjoy then oneday when you have better option for DD find 812 sf or gts even better.

I had both. Lusso was better. 80% of 812’s v12 and could be a last v12 gt.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

GTC4LussoT likes this.
  8. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Driving one is a good idea. I drove an FF when it first came out and thought it was impressive but a bit of an awkward package due to the combination of high power, slightly clunky drive train and the length of the vehicle itself. I understand agility has been much improved over time and with the transition to the Lusso.

SECRET likes this.
  9. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Interesting point on the market for the two cars down the road. Happily, the Lussos do tend to get driven.

10. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    I have both. I’ve put 10x more miles on the Lusso. It’s the best Ferrari I’ve owned. The 812 is a wild beast but for the crappy roads where I live the Lusso is just perfect. I was hugely skeptical of the Lusso at first and now I’m in love and wish I had spent the money for options on my Lusso instead of the 812.

SECRET likes this.
  11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Only flaw I see is that crappy roads means pot holes and pot holes and the Lusso - or any Ferrari - don't match. I've torn open a tire on my Lusso with a pot hole here in Arizona so I could not even imagine back east.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #12 Il Co-Pilota, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Tough choice. I like my Lusso a lot, but it is no substitute for the 812.

It is a daily for me and as cool as that is, it also has its drawbacks. Any car you daily lose some of its magic. When spring comes, I'm always ready to get into my 488. When fall comes, I'm ready for the Lusso and done with the 488. I'm not saying I get tired of them, but for me the excitement drops when the car is driven that often.

My point with this is that there is a risk of you regretting selling the 812 as you get more used to the Lusso. It is a very usable car and thus.you can get lots of miles on it.

But I want to ask you this question, seeing nobody else has. What is it that you think about the Lusso that should make it more usable on your poor roads? I understand the whole thing about the four seats etc. for usability, but what from a drivers standpoint are you expecting to change with a Lusso?

If you don't use the rear seats, the day to day usability of both cars are very similar. When it comes to poor roads it is also important to stress that a Lusso kills rims and pinch tyres like there's no tomorrow. It's a very heavy car with very little meat on the wheels. Would be worth looking into how you can add tyre profile to the Lusso wheels. Just something to be aware of.

What is your current dd?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Lukeylikey likes this.
  13. James Clooney

James Clooney Rookie

Dec 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Clooney
    Imho these two cars can't be compared per ser but only from your personal situation's pov. If you can afford it definitely keep both, if not I'd personally go for the Lusso. I've driven both for a period of time and while I really love the 812, I realized that I'd eventually get much more/regular fun with the Lusso: It offers so much versatility as a DD (the AWD, the true independence from weather conditions, the extra space / option to take a 3rd person or another couple with you, etc. make this car a real passe-partout) and driving its V12 is such a blast that I realized I'd simply end up enjoying far more of this Ferrari driving pleasure on a daily basis with the Lusso. But then again, it all boils down to your personal situation.

33pds likes this.
  14. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks for this comment. I think your point is a good one. I figured the AWD would allow more potential driving days, and incorrectly thought the suspension tuning would afford more resilience on NY's terrible roads. But I imagine you are correct: low profile tires and high weight will not be a formula for dd happiness.

I also agree with you on the drawback of driving a special car as a DD. But some cars can transcend this. I drove my F12 30k miles in 3 years and enjoyed it from start to finish. (The roads were much better then).

For what it is worth, I currently use a Cayenne Hybrid as my dd. I have another Cayenne as well, but I really like the hybrid package. Indeed, I ordered a full EV Macan for whenever that is available. The Hybrid opened my eyes to the benefits of pure EV--but that is a topic for another thread...

15. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks. This is helpful. Was hoping the Lusso was more compliant. But I guess the set-up on any of these rigs is pretty tight...