Connecticut to screw car enthusiasts | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Connecticut to screw car enthusiasts

Discussion in 'New England' started by Saint Bastage, Mar 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This might not be bad idea.

Do the names need to be "original signatures"??

Can a letter be posted here and anyone can add his/her name to it, creating a list people opposed to the bill. Then forward the list with names via email or print and deliver.

A list could be started on every found car club website in the state. They must all be buzzing about this.

2. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Can't use my letter as it was highly personalized detailing the effect on my car directly. Anyone else want to post up a nice generic one? To be honest, I'm a little hesitant of the form letter approach as it clearly indicates a lack of commitment by the sender.

Sending by post is not necessary per Steve. The Email system works fine.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Somebody had to play devils advocate to fire up the troops. :)

I was aware that there was a bill introduce last year. I though this was the same deal. I had not heard that it was defeated last year.

Anyway, like I said, if someone care to compose a letter and post the text here we could all cut and paste it into our own personal letters and sent them off. I'll go with the crowd.

4. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    here's Steve's Email to me

Lane:

Thanks for your message. Please have your cohorts join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) at www.semasan.com. As you are aware it is free and carries no other obligations. We use the network only to alert hobbyists to pending legislative and regulatory issues. Also, continue to encourage your members to oppose H.B. 5405 through letters to the committee members. As you may be aware, this is the same bill that was considered last year in the legislature without success, due largely to the efforts of Connecticut hobbyists.

Thanks again. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Steve McDonald
    SEMA

5. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    I always modify the generic letters for my specific situation, its just that I find it useful to have something to start with. I end up with writers block if I start with a blank page.

6. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    If that's at me, it's an '88. High retail is 67% higher than average.

QWhen I moved to this town they set the value well above what the car was worth. I bought from a dealer 9 months before, put 8k miles on it, and the town decided it was worth $10k more than I paid for it. Appealed and lost.

Based on the way they overcharge on taxes and spend like its not their own money, I have zero patience for stuff like this. This bill needs to be defeated, period.

7. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    For reference, a certain state in northern New England charges town excise tax according to the original MSRP. So on a 1980s V8 Ferrari, the taxable rate is about $160 a year. Not too bad.. once it is an antique, annual plate fees drop about 75% or so...

The MSRP formula is a bit stupid when you apply it to an old 80s or 90s luxury car, that by now, has lost 90-95% of its value. Makes the excise on a winter beater cost you more that the excise on a new economy car or even a Prius...

8. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #58 Saint Bastage, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    I'm certainly no lawyer and have never formally protested much of anything but I would think a few buzz word type sentences might be useful. Feel free to cut and paste to your letter and add any personal reservation you might have. If you have thought of other sentences you feel might help others write their letters, please post them here. I included some of the following in my letter:

"Dear Sir or Madam of the Connecticut Joint Committee on Planning and Development, I have recently become aware of the proposed changes to the structure of the Antique, Specialty and rare car text to be considered under HB 5405"

"I have numerous problems with the bill"

"I find the changes to be unfair as they target a very small group of individuals who have no real collective voice to oppose"

"It seems particularly unfair to an individual who restored a pile of junk making the car worth substantially more"

"The increases are so dramatic they cannot be measured in percent but rather by factors of 100"

"I foresee a great difficulty with the municipalities coming to agreement on proper valuation since the Classic car sections of any published guide rely greatly on mechanical and cosmetic condition which must be inspected"

"I strongly request your hearty opposition to this bill"

"Thank you for your consideration in this personal matter"

9. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #59 Saint Bastage, Mar 8, 2012
    I hear what you are saying but add that my car happens to be a 1993 vintage. When I purchased the car 4 years ago, I took all of the costs and values into consideration. I've been patiently awaiting the antique status. Failure to achieve that status for an additional 10 years will effectively add 10% to the cost of my car. Grandfathering is a good idea and important to many of you but has no effect on my situation at all.

10. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Just clipped this from the SEMA lobby guide (under the header "Legislation" at the site linked on post 1)

LETTERS AND OTHER
    WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
    When you are pushing an issue or supporting or trying to defeat a bill, writing your
    legislators is a very effective way of getting your message across. However, some
    methods of communication are a lot more effective than others.
    I. Personal letters –
    The absolute best thing to do is to write a personal letter. Personal letters show legislators
    that the author is knowledgeable, interested and committed to the matter at hand.
    Sending a personal letter also alerts the legislator to the fact that the author is politically
    active. Legislators keep close track of how their mail is running on particular issues, so
    your letter will have an influence whether the elected official personally reads it or not.
    Many legislators argue that one clear, logical individual letter is worth more than a petition
    with a thousand signatures!

Suggestions for writing personal letters

Be Timely – Write when an issue is current. Procrastination and apathy guarantee that
    your voice will not be heard and that legislators will assume you don’t really care.

Be Brief – Limit yourself to one page and one topic. The goal is to be read and
    understood.

Be Specific – Reference specific bill numbers. Include basic information like what the
    legislation would do and how it would affect you and other people in the legislator’s
    district or state. Remind legislators how their actions affect your hobby and your vote.

Be Legible – Clearly sign your name and include your address in the letter itself
    (envelopes with return addresses are routinely discarded). How can a legislator know
    who you are, what your concerns are, or where you are from if he can’t read your
    handwriting? Better yet, type your letter.

Be Supportive – Write thank you letters when a legislator supports your cause. Too
    often they get only “anti” or complaint letters. A thank-you will make you stand out and
    it will help establish a more personal relationship with the legislator.

Don’t Be a Pest – Don’t become a constant “pen-pal.” Legislative offices track who
    writes and how often. Avoid being seen as a constantly writing crank or malcontent; it
    will dilute your message.

11. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Point taken!

12. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #62 Saint Bastage, Mar 8, 2012
    The argument concerning depreciation.

I thought long and hard about the reason for the law to begin with and came to the following conclusion.

Depending on the particular popularity of a motor vehicle the depreciation curve follows generally standard line. For most cases (probably 90%) the curve is dramatic when the new car is driven off the lot and over time settles in to a elliptical decline until the age of between 15 and 25 years when most cars become worth absolutely nothing. This is most likely the reason the "antique" car property values were established to begin with.

In special cases based on many variables the curve inverts and value starts to climb. The ascension of value is directly linked to condition both mechanically and cosmetic along with a constantly changing public perception of the vehicle and the added variable of the specific history of that car. Cars in poor that have a special history can be worth many times that of a good example of the car. A partially restored car may look to be in near perfect condition but is in no way more valuable than a fully restored one. A car that was used in a historic event carries many times the value of another example of that same car. That is to say the car that carried a wounded Ronald Regan to safety is far more valuable than an exact duplicate.

With these variations in mind it seems rather normal for the industry that sets the pricing on cars to establish a limitation of estimate at 20 years. While they do provide estimates of value after 20 years, those numbers are widely varied and a disclaimer is applied suggesting the need for a detailed assessment to determine actual value. They imply that an expert is necessary to determine the actual value and that value can be substantially different from expert to expert .It would therefore seem prudent that political jurisdictions would follow with that same logic. Up until now virtually all jurisdictions agree. Classic, Antique, or other titles applied to the vehicles have always been associated with the 20th year.

Seriously...Are they really going to value a car previously purchased under a salvage title and value it anywhere near a museum quality time capsule? Who at your town hall has the expertise necessary to accomplish that?

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    You're over-thinking this, like you get to decide. Valuation will be whatever the Government says it is. You may have recourse, but your local Government will make sure it has Final Say so that people won't 'game' the system by claiming that their 250 GTO is really a 'kit car' and worth $500. Mr. Sachs is looking at a pretty large tax bill....and that is exactly the point. LOTS of un-tapped financial resources for your local Govt. to salivate over, all put on public display at the Hartford Concourso. New England 'critical thinking' at its finest - your car-tax was inevitable, as no good-deed goes unpunished in Liberal-Land. Do fiscal conservatives even LIVE in Connecticut? Do they vote?

14. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #64 Saint Bastage, Mar 8, 2012
    I understand your point entirely.

I would also point out that a 250 GTO remains eligible for antique status and is therefore valued at $500 (or $2500 next year) and must be taxed as such regardless of actual value. Mr. Sachs has only to concern himself with a car between 1983 and 1993. In addition, VERY few truly expensive collector cars are actually registered in CT. Most are driven on dealer plates for this very reason. The wide angle on this issue remain with those middle class individuals that do not have property in another state and cannot write off the value of anything using corporate tax techniques.

Isn't that funny. If you own a 250 GTO you will pay much less in taxes than I do for my 348. You will also pay much less than the guy who owns a 1992 Honda civic that he somehow keeps alive.

Please understand that after reading my comments above, I find that I do sound a little like one of those ridiculous "occupiers". Please know that it absolutely pains me to say that out loud. I suppose the big difference is that I don't begrudge Mr, Sach his success and don't feel he owes me anything.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Lane, forget about what happens to others. In your case, the worst case in the best light is that it will cost you a somewhere around a $1.00/$2.00 a day for the next 10 years. How much gas do you burn a day? What do you spend of phone, electric, cable, food,.... a day? Cable/internet cost me $4.60 a day. What's that new puppy going to cost you over 10 years? So, another dollar or two a day to own a Ferrari really isn't all that horrific when you put it in perspective, is it? In 10 years it might cost $1000 for a fill up.

$1.00 to $2.00 a day.

Sure, I don't like the fact that the money will go to an irresponsible government, but the financial implications to you aren't that great compared with the cost of very day living.

16. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    It has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford it.

People that sit back and continue to accept the way things are deserve everything they get. You must draw a line someplace....this is my line.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  19. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Didn't know about it until just now. I'm going to try.

Can anyone else make it?

20. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Couldn't make it...anyone know where to find the meeting minutes?

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  22. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Fairly full schedule....We were #7...Maybe we get lucky.

Planning and Development Committee

PUBLIC HEARING AGENDA

Friday, March 9, 2012

10:30 AM in Room 2B of the LOB

I. COMMITTEE BILLS FOR REVIEW

1. S.B. No. 342 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN INTERNET WEB SITE FOR THE WASHINGTON-ROCHAMBEAU REVOLUTIONARY ROUTE NATIONAL HISTORIC TRAIL.

2. S.B. No. 343 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING INTERVENTION IN PERMIT PROCEEDINGS PURSUANT TO THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT OF 1971.

3. S.B. No. 344 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING COMMUNITY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.

4. S.B. No. 345 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING MUNICIPAL FLOOD AND EROSION CONTROL BOARDS.

5. S.B. No. 346 (RAISED) AN ACT CREATING A REGIONAL COMPOSTING FACILITY SITING TASK FORCE.

6. Proposed H.B. No. 5008 AN ACT CONCERNING THE MARIJUANA AND CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES TAX.

7. H.B. No. 5405 (RAISED) AN ACT ESTABLISHING A STATE-WIDE MILL RATE FOR MOTOR VEHICLES AND AMENDING THE DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE, RARE OR SPECIAL INTEREST MOTOR VEHICLES.

8. H.B. No. 5406 (RAISED) AN ACT ESTABLISHING A TASK FORCE TO STUDY BARRIERS TO THE FORMATION OF MUNICIPAL UTILITIES.

9. H.B. No. 5407 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR PUBLIC UTILITIES.

10. H.B. No. 5408 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING ADOPTION FEES FOR DOGS.

23. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
  24. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #74 mulo rampante, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    This bill is very similar to CT HB 5580 from the 2011 legislative session. I followed that with some interest, and at first glance the language seems very close to what they're currently proposing. Of course, it's all about revenue. The sponsors of last year's bill were:

• Rep. Sharkey, 88th Dist.
    • Sen. Looney, 11th Dist.
    • Rep. Dillon, 92nd Dist.
    • Rep. Grogins, 129th Dist.

Rep. Sharkey is the house majority leader. Lane, I'll let you guess his party affiliation :)

Last year's bill was discussed by the P&D committee, and they came up with a "joint favorable substitute", the text of which can be found here: ftp://ftp.cga.ct.gov/2011/FC/2011HB-05580-R000473-FC.htm (yeah, I know it's an ftp address, but your browser will correctly load the html text) The bill gained two co-sponsors:

• Rep. Johnson, 49th Dist.
    • Rep. Berger, 73rd Dist.

The fiscal analysis of last year's bill is here: ftp://ftp.cga.ct.gov/2011/FN/2011HB-05580-R000473-FN.htm

Here's an interesting tidbit from that document: The Office of Fiscal Analysis determined that the DMV would have a one-time cost of $121,000 in the following year for administration, sending out notices, and making replacement plates for the cars which would suddenly be ineligible for the antique plates they previously had. Offsetting this would be a one-time potential revenue gain of $132,600 to the special transportation fund from the transfer fees and plate fees for the recalled plates. Brilliant -- what a service my government proposes to perform for me here.

I looked up the status of the bill at some point late last year, and it seemed that the house never got around to voting on it.

I would hope that this year's proposed legislation finds an earlier grave.

Charles

25. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    This state kinda sucks ....

stronger letter to follow