Concorso Italiano 09 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Concorso Italiano 09

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by velocetwo, Jul 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I agree, I think both events will be good, it sure is nice that we all have a choice as compared to last year.

2. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    So what are you thinking about getting??

It's funny.......I have always been "looking for the next car" almost immediately after buying my last few. That is, up until this one. This is the first car that I have bought where I haven't found myself online within 2 weeks of buying, looking for the next one. I think I have finally reached the top of the food chain for what I like and am finally satisfied. It is a good feeling.

My advice would be to buy the car that is "top of the food chain" for you and end the looking. ;-)

Hijack over. Back to Concorso talk.

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Haaaa I just got the email from CI regarding this. FYI Piero he is a pleasure to meet.

PS he really likes boats more than cars.

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Competition brings out the best in competitors.

5. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Is there anyone that was adamant that they would not go to another CI but are now considering it just to see the 288 GTO’s?

6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #56 Huskerbill, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009

It is the only thing I will miss about being at LDV. I love 288GTOs and assuming that they will ALL be at CI is a bummer. But not enough to have me go there instead.

I would doubt that the 288GTO collection of cars is enough to have someone change their plans to attend CI. I think this one is like an election. 99% knew who they were "voting for" before the candidates officially announced their candidacy. Very few "swing voters" in this group IMO.

7. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Wait, is Lambo of Orange County still shut down?

8. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    You make it sound like the shutdown was temporary. The fat lady sung a while back.

-mick

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You never know. In 10 or so years when he gets out of the joint he may decide to go back in business.

10. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Does this mean no Lambo Girls? :(

11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    After leaving Concorso after being there only for 1 hour last year, I decided that it wasn't worth going to. I also thought that the Quail at $400 per ticket seemed to be too upscale for me as well. So, I started my own event that day for us non-wealthy Porsche owners. After all, we'd rather spend the dough on parts and performance upgrades than mealtickets at a concrete airport.

All cars are indeed welcome, but we'll have special parking for the Porsches. Check it out here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/winetour/ At $45 for wine and food included, it's the bargain of the weekend (we're not making any money on it).

:)

-Wayne

12. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Hi Wayne.

No offense, and I mean that, but your points don't matter to someone who sees a Porsche with complete indifference, and sees any Italian car through rose colored glasses.

I have no idea why, but Italian cars get my brain to smile and run tingles up my leg, while *another* Porsche just doesn't do much for me. Its not that I am a stranger to the German Marque, having spun my first 911 backwards into the bushes at age 16 and am very involved with a currently featured car in Excellence magazine, but the Ferraris and Italian cars just speak to me, and probably most people in this forum.

Inarguably, the last Concorso was a piece of crap, which is why we are all hoping to a return to former glory by either Concorso Italiano or La Dolce Vita. I beg that you would have spent more than a hour at the last Concorso at Quail with the Pininfarina prototypes such as the Modulo.

That is what we (red blooded Italian car fans) are talking about in this thread, is how to hope for a return to that type of event. A combination of a venue somewhere that is green, the style of the Italians, and the food of the gods is all we ask for. Plus, at a fair price would be nice, not that the money is an issue, but that for myself and my Ferrari DeTomaso Alfa Lambo buddies, we don't fit into "The Quail" crowd either. (I can't drink wine during the day because I have a day job)

I like your idea of a low key tour in Porsches, and I hope it goes well for you, but once again many of us will be crossing our fingers that we can see those cars that make our heart race, not just because their style speaks to us, but we also don't see them every day.

Jay

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wayne, thanks for the invite to us all. I remember speaking with you years ago over the phone, regarding a Porsche part I was looking to buy from you (I did) for my old widebody Carrera. You were a good guy back then and appears nothing has changed. Hope your event goes well. I am certain with you as the organizer along with a VERY competitive price, it will.

14. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Brian, do I count correct that you post 11 times in this thread? From a man that usually has one sentance to say, some these are very long to! So we believe you a strong support of Pacific Region FCA for this event. Good on you, but biased please to admit.

So let me to tell you about my friends in the Lamborghini Club who were the feature marque last year at Concorso Italiano. Most left by 10AM, after nice long walks through the BMWs and Miatas. Yes they are the form of La Dolce Vita. The Pacific Region Ferrari was also very angry, but what to get them a change of mentality?
    Please share behind the scenes talks why the Ferrari Pacific Region has change?

Please don't say again that CI is victim of there own success because we know they have now a show that is 100% to satisfy the Italian car lover. It is La Dolce Vita.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #65 Rifledriver, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    I am not even a member of FCA so I certainly do not speak for them. I let my membership lapse a few years ago for a reason. FCA is not supporting CI, they chose not to some time ago and is the reason why they are having a seperate club event at a different venue that includes their concours. It was decided by them some time ago to stand back and see what the various event organizers come up with and actually DO rather than just promise to do before making any commitments for next year. I was there last year. The only reason I did go was to evaluate it for someone else. It sucked, we all knew it would and anyone surprised about that should not be out on their own.

Speaking for myself I have not and will not have anything to do with LDV. Just suffice to say the management left me unimpressed. I am hoping the new owner of CI will put it on track to once again be a good event. I do not expect miracles the first year, I would be quite happy with kept promises to start with and a trend toward returning its earlier quality. If none of that happens I will just have a free spot on my calendar to do something else because as it is there is precious little attracting me to Monterey that entire week. The events have long since lost their car guy appeal and have just become one big commercial enterprise with very little fun attached to it. I can have a lot more fun getting in a Ferrari and driving north on all those empty roads that weekend.

16. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Curious as to why?

I am asking out of curiosity first but then, second, my lack of familiarity with organizing and putting on a "real" show.

The one thing that bothers me about show promoters is typically overhype and overselling their event. I have not see that out of LDV. If anything, they could be guilty of, it is underpromotion. Haven't seen much. Maybe they want it to feel "non-commercialized" and are choosing to leave it more "on the down low"??

If there is one thing I am happy about, it is that "Maggie" (from Washington even though she claimed CA) hasn't been back here telling us she is going to CI and how great it is going to be this year.

I find it interesting how polarized people have become on the subject of which event they are attending (myself included). Sort of takes on the same attitude that the event promoters are taking on (i.e. very aware of what the other is doing).

So, what are your thoughts?

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    To the Organizers of Concorso...............

You know, I have stated over the past few months, which show I am going to be attending next week in Monterey (La Dolce Vita). I have given my reasons as to why; none of which have anything to do with any involvement I have with running, promoting or having any financial interest in LDV. I have none of those connections. I am just a car fanatic like just about everyone here. That's all.

Over the last few weeks, I have both witnessed and heard pathetic and almost childish examples of Concorso's attempts to promote their show over La Dolce Vita. As I heard and saw more and more, I started getting annoyed. What has bothered me is that La Dolce Vita hasn't said anything bad about Concorso (from what I have seen). Yet we keep hearing about Concorso organizers and their pathetic, borderline unethical practices in trying to draw business to their event.

I have a LOT of friends of mine who are going to Concorso (just like I have a lot going to LDV). They are showing cars from 308s to F40s. Your show will probably be a great show, just as LDV will be a great show. I have stated this before on here. I have had enough of seeing Concorso organizers pulling these stunts and am posting this to get the organizers of Concorso to clean it up a bit.

We have seen "Maggie" (Morgana58) come here onto FChat claiming that she was from California and shouting to the heavens that she "was going to Concorso" and "It is going to be great!". I think, by my rough estimation, 90% of all of her posts were of that same "broken record" vein. Many called her out on her trolling. Then we come to find out through a board moderator that she isn't who she says she is, is involved with Concorso and is from Washington, not California as she claimed and had in her profile. Classic.
    See it here.....
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138502215&postcount=271

It was stated on here that LDV said that they didn't want to post a list of vendors, sponsors or exhibitors as they were being contacted by Concorso organizers to instead sponsor or attend CI. I have heard from one LDV sponsor who confirmed this. Sad.
    Here is that one......
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249475&highlight=concorso+email

Tonight, I went to Concorso's website to see if someone I knew had signed up yet to bring their new purchase to CI. Upon getting to their website, I noticed a section on Lamborghini on their home page. As a Lamborghini owner, I took interest in it. A few lines into it, I saw a section that said, "No, we're not talking about colors; we're talking about real cars." I thought, "Wait a minute, I know what the 'colors' thing is in reference to." I had seen a headline on LDV's website that read, "La Dolce Vita Automobili at Black Horse to Display Full Color Palette of Lamborghini Automobiles." Their whole thing was that LDV is going to have pretty much every color of Lamborghini ever made at their show and they were promoting that. Concorso picked up on this and, apparently feeling threatened, decided to throw their little jab towards LDV's promotion. Pathetic.
    Here is the Concorso website, where you will see it on their front page........
    http://www.concorso.com/index.htm
    Here is the La Dolce Vita page being referenced.......
    http://www.montereybayconcours.com/broadcasts/MAY22.html

So, in closing, I want to say that I don't wish a "bad show" upon those who are organizing or attending Concorso. I actually wish for the opposite. I have many of my friends who will be there and I am hoping for a GREAT show for all. As I stated, I believe it will be. What I am asking Concorso for is to stop being so worried about La Dolce Vita and what they are trying to do. Stop the unethical practices. Just put on a great show and people will come. You all don't have to resort to childish, unethical practices to draw a crowd. You already have a large list of entrants and the FCA and LCA backing you.

Just leave those who are organizing or attending La Dolce Vita do what they do best........live "The Sweet Life." I can promise you that, just like the attendees at Quail, none of those attending LDV will be thinking about or talking about Concorso as they are enjoying a glass of red. There is room for two, quality shows on Friday, so clean up the act and let your show do the talking for you.

Thanks.

18. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #68 Choptop, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009

heheheheeeee... I' got the other problem... underselling my event. Its going to be horrible. The cars are carpboxes. It unorganized as a game of grab-arse. The judges are unprofessional, capricious and subject to bribes. The food comes out of Taco Trucks. There is no wine or cocktails, only beer. The class signs were made on my laser printer and the trophies in my garage. You will likely wait in line for nearly everything. The venue is the furthest away from Pebble Beach of any during the week, you cant even see or smell the ocean.

you've been warned :D

19. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    A "carpbox" huh? That's nothing new. They have been doing aquariums for years!! ;-)

20. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    This tread is beginning to remind me of my high school days. There were the Ford guys, the Chevy guys, and the Mopar guys, all at each other’s throats. I was one of the few foreign car guys who were laughed at. I bet they wish they were part of my club now :D

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Who is up for going to Laguna Saturday ?

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Maybe someone from the event will read this and fix the issue. When you call the 425 742-0632 number the message says their office has moved to Monterey for the event and you should call an 831 number to reach them. When you dial that number all you get is a fax tone..................... we have questions regarding car placement on Thursday.

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I'll be at the FCA tent at Turn 5 on Saturday.

24. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Does it ever occur to anyone that Monterey is overloaded in the concours department? More than maxed out. "Back in the day" it was simple .. historic car races, Pebble Beach .. and stand on the street in Carmel or Cannery Row and watch the cars drive by. Now it is: year in advance reservations, overpriced food and lodging, grid lock on all streets, posers galore, etc. .. it ain't fun any more.

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I will be at the FOC tent, turn 9 (IIRC).