Concept Yachts | FerrariChat

Concept Yachts

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ylshih, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11vUfBHZFs[/ame] (looks like a Star Destroyer!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSnTZdHI6GM[/ame] (the sway in the elevated deck could make it unusable in any rough seas)

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I suppose, from a design standpoint, maybe they could be considered interesting, but they're hideously awful to look at. The stuff of Russian Oligarchs or silly new money. Why? Because they've got so much money, they must show it off, and they have no taste. I understand someone may actually like it, but I don't think I would want it if you gave them to me. They're just that ugly to my eye.

CW

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While those concepts are technically interesting, I prefer something simpler. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kY1Ti2IhzM[/ame]

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I am a fan of Sunseeker. Only up to about 80'. Very nice lines, to my eye, anyway, and decent quality:price ratio.

Bigger than that, I prefer Feadship or Amels for construction. Design, however, is on a case-by-case basis.

Super-mega yachts (300'+) just don't look right to me. Too massive for a private, as they start to take on cruise ship proportions. And, as they've now gone over 500', it's just silly at that point.

CW

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    #5 chris marsh, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That doesn't look like a boat I'd want to run in any kind of heavy down sea conditions.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Me neither... no longer interested in the drama (i.e. adventure). Just cruizen in comfort.

Think, go-faster modern trawler. :)

8. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm struggling with some of the "light" boats being built. If you're out in the open water at low speeds you're even more likely to get caught in snotty seas. Do those windows blow out? I had a friend with a 48' SeaRay that had one window go out on a crossing.

Boats are broadening their appeal to a wider audience which is good but some of them I can look at and see that it could be a problem when it gets bad which it always does. I guess as long as more people are in the hobby it's a good thing.

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'd be willing to bet that most of these "light" boat/yacht buyers have very little experience with real open waters. Probably just coastal cruising instead, to include big lakes (staying coastal), bays and bayous. Open waters might be heading out to the Bahamas from south Florida.

Think as an alternative to big RVs because the roads are too crowded.

Great comment "when it gets bad which it always does" because that's something to plan for.

10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree. Most stay close to the shore and they have as much or more fun than anyone. Proving your point, I was with someone last night that went from a ski boat to a 41' Searay 5 years ago. Didn't know how to use a radio, run two engines or anything. They will go to the Bahamas but only in a group and they have a blast.

I'm doing a ton of boating this summer. Ft Lauderdale-->Nassau-->Exumas in early June. the Last week of June I'm taking the boat to the NE. I want to spend the 4th on the Block Island. I just started the planning for that trip this week. That's fun too, just a lot of moving parts.