Compression garments | FerrariChat

Compression garments

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Scotty, Oct 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    As I have started to run longer distances, I have been reading some about compression garments (tights), for use both during activity and for recovery. Supposed pros include better blood flow (which, from my venous surgery experience, is correct if the design is appropriate), as well as decreased post-exercise soreness and quicker recovery. This may be due to increased blood flow removing waste byproducts, and/or the decrease in microtears in the muscle fibers due to muscle vibrations (basically, from your muscles flopping around during running). There is some science to back all of this up. I went ahead and ordered a couple pair of compression tights, and I'm going to give them a whirl.

1) Any thoughts?

2) Any concerns with mal-adaption (meaning, once your muscles get use to having the support, are the less tolerant of the same effort when that support is not there)?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The second question is a good one, and I'll let an expert answer it.

I'm going to run a half marathon in January, and it's all new to me. I find I need at least compression shorts simply so my legs don't chafe.

There is a big difference in quality. Amazon is very helpful with reviews in selecting the right compression garments for you.

Some of the remedies for the afflictions you mention (post-exercise soreness and quicker recovery) might be better achieved with traditional stretching, icing heating, hydration treatments.

Also, tell us more abut your venous surgery.

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I've got the stretching thing down, and I do stay focused on the hydration.

I used to do some venous surgeries (to others) and so at one point in time I was relatively informed on compression (elastic versus non-elastic), venous flow and return as documented by doppler ultrasound, and so on.

Tights researched and coming from Amazon. Challenge is fighting the huge placebo effect (I want them to work, I spent $ on them, and so on). But, I do have some other tights (but not tight enough to qualify as "compression") that I have worn recently a couple of times and my legs felt great.

I always wear compression shorts b/c of chafing as well.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I only wear the compression gear after a workout for a couple of hours to aide in recovery. Or if I'm going to be in a car or plane for a long period of time.

5. dudegotskills

dudegotskills Karting

Feb 11, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Xander
    CEP compression socks are nice for recovery. They also help because I work retail and have to stand for hours on end. They keep the blood from just swelling in your calves and ankles. It really does make a difference. Never tried riding with them though.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Just got my two pair in from Amazon. Riding inside today (so I won't use them), lifting tomorrow, but hopefully running in them on Sunday. I'll report back.

7. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    So...what did the results end being with this? Any noticable change?

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Hard to tell. November 20th I fractured my fibula and navicular, as well as had two avulsion fractures--so needless to say I wasn't running. Just have logged two runs in the last week. I am still liking them, and will report back when I have several months of consistent use in them.

S

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Follow up. Have been running with the tights and tracking my runs with a GPS enabled watch. I've gotten up over 10 miles. Yesterday I did a 6.5 mile run without the tights (first time). Pace was off my typical by almost 30 secs/mile. I noticed many things, but the biggest thing was significant hamstring pain about 4 minutes into the run. Also, had much less leg snap, pain in other areas (including one knee). I put on the tights after I got home and showered (my legs were screaming) and that helped the pain. I am more sore today then I think I should be.

So how much of this is "maladaption"--meaning I have become dependent on the tights, and how much of this is just the loss of extra ability tights might give you??? I don't know.

What I do know is that the tights are allowing me to run farther then I think I otherwise would, which translates into more calories burned and more general fitness, which is really my goal. I'll be buying more this week.

S

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Thought I'd do another update to this in case anyone cares. Still running in the compression tights, and I have tried several more runs without tights. It may be a placebo effect, but the difference for me is remarkable. Even when it is pushing 100 degrees, I'm wearing them.

Also, have been using medical grade compression hose (crotch high, no panties) the evenings after most runs. Same story--they make a very marked difference in leg pain and heaviness the next day.