Colorado Emissions Testing | FerrariChat

Colorado Emissions Testing

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by rfwf430, Nov 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rfwf430

rfwf430 Rookie

Nov 3, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    I have a 2006 F430 Spider. Yesterday I went for the Colorado biennial emissions test. As some may know, Clean Air does not use the roller test on exotics now--too expensive if they wreck the car and it interferes with engine management systems operation. So they do a tail pipe or OBD test. They did the OBD plug-in test on mine; it failed! Should not have happened as just came back from annual maintenance. It failed because the check engine light ( the little motor icon that comes on with all the other icons that come on when the ignition is engaged) did not go off before they pulled the plug. Chatted with the manager after showing the icon does go off but takes a few seconds more with the engine running than other cars might do it. Immediately retested and it passed. So if you have a slower check engine light icon, make sure they give it enough time to turn off before they pull the OBD plug and flunk your car. Manager (Sheridan CO site) said they have had similar experiences on other cars.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Interesting info, thanks. I took my 1999 Jeep in for its test last month. It smokes on startup, has had its spark plugs changed ONCE in 105,000 miles. It passed by a wide margin.

3. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    They have done rollers in years. Go to the right shop and the won’t do tail pipe emissions.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I don't think so... I have NOT seen them use rollers for quite awhile.

5. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Sorry meant they have NOT done rollers for years.