Coach I | FerrariChat

Coach I

Discussion in 'Who's Who in Ferrari Universe' started by DrStranglove, Mar 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Can someone do a good one on my friend? I dont know enough to do it justice.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow. I didn't realize there wasn't one. My only contact came around 2002/2003 when I was emailing him back and forth about buying one of his Daytonas. Great guy. I learned a lot from him. It was a shock when he died.

Dale

3. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    If Enzo’s blood ran Ferrari Red, then Ibrahim M. Ibrahim’s blood ran Clemson Orange. Better known as “Coach” by those that knew him well and even to those that only knew him by reputation. He founded Clemson University’s soccer program in the late sixties, and during his 28 year tenure, he led the Tigers to two NCAA Championships and 11 ACC Titles, making him one of the most winning soccer coaches in the nation.

Ibrahim’s success was not just limited to the soccer field. He opened a successful athletic footwear store in 1974 which would later become Tigersports, one of the upstate’s most successful businesses. And it is still thriving today with Coach’s wife Julie at the helm.

The spoils of his success have been shared with many. In 2006, Coach and Julie first invited the FCA members to their beautiful estate for an F1 viewing party. Since then, annual events have been held for a growing number of friends and enthusiasts alike. Among those attending have been noted Ferrari historian, David Seibert and automotive designer and driver, Luigi Chinetti, Jr.

Coach was also a true collector, with a stable that included two daytonas, a boxer, a testarossa, a maranello, a 360 spider, and an F40. And he was always looking to add to his collection. I remember him having his sights on an F50, but unfortunately it was not to be.

On July 12, 2008, after a last drive in his boxer, while enjoying a game of golf, coach Ibrahim passed away. He left behind a wife, children, and a myriad of family and friends, but more importantly, he left us with a great example of how to live. Coach lived life to the fullest. He was a great businessman, but he treasured family and friends above all.

Julie continues to hold the event at the Ibrahim estate in his honor, now called the Coach I Memorial Concours and Tour. She also continues the Ferrari tradition, often being seen at FCA concours and track events. She is quite the lady, but knows how to thrash an F40 around the track with the best of ’em! Coach would be very proud!

Rest well Coach Ibrahim and know that you are never forgotten, and will always be remembered for your kindness and contributions to all that had the pleasure of knowing you!

4. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    This thread may be better suited for the In Memorium section.

5. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    #5 Blown Z, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Passed way too young. Didn't know him personally, but as a person that coaches soccer, hard not to recognize his impact. I was a student at Seton Hall when Clemson won it all in 1987.

R.I.P.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had the great pleasure of meeting Coach I. at his estate in the fall of 2007. He was a great man with a great collection (cars and literature) and I am glad that Julie is keeping his legacy alive. And that goes for soccer as well; a young co-worker of mine who played at Virginia Tech was very aware of Coach when I first brought up his name, and was equally saddened when he heard of Coach's untimely passing.

I'll bet Coach is up there having great conversations with the likes of Luigi Chinetti and maybe even Enzo himself. R.I.P., our friend.

8. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    #8 juliei, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the Fall of 2011, the soccer stadium at Clemson University was named in honor of my late husband. Today, my son and I drove by and saw that the naming was made complete by this new signage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Very nice! His presence is missed here.

-F

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I do believe Rob is still working on getting that section running. I'm sure he'll scan
    for appropriate posts at that time and move them.

Coach: May you rest in Peace.

:(

Jedi

12. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    What a great honor. And well deserved!

P.S. I answered your PM finally! :)