Clutch Works but Cannot Get Car Into Gear | FerrariChat

Clutch Works but Cannot Get Car Into Gear

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by freelapl, Sep 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    I recently completed a 10 yr journey of getting my '85 Cabriolet QV up and running after a complete engine rebuild. For the last few months it was with Carl at Blackhorse Motors in LA for him to make the final adjustments and it worked great! I picked up the car 3 weeks ago and have driven it about 175 miles with no issues. The other day, in heavy stop & go traffic with it about 105 deg outside I had a transmission problem. I was in 2nd gear and was going along about 30 mph and then the car came out of gear.

I could rev the engine but had no forward motion. I brought the car to a stop and the clutch pedal & gearstick felt normal with normal foot pressure. The brakes were solid, no spongy feeling. I could go into all of the gears including reverse, but as I would let the clutch out I could hear a sound like it was trying to engage but wasn't able to do it....maybe like it's trying to spin against the flywheel but not able to fully connect.

After getting the car towed home I checked for fluid leaks and could not find any. I looked at the new master cylinder seals & connections but no leaks there and fluid level looks normal. Pressing the clutch engages the slave cylinder with no apparent fluid leaks, and I can see the lever to the clutch moving as well. I cannot see obvious damage to the rubber hose connecting to the slave unit, and have been watching the lower part of the slave unit to see if there is a seal leaking but I don't see anything significant.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Is it possible I'm not getting full slave clutch travel due to a leaky seal, or is it possible something inside the clutch assembly has failed? Is it possible something associated with the pressure plate or throw out bearing failed suddenly?

Attached Files:

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Need new clutch

3. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    As part of my engine rebuild I put in a new clutch, pressure plate, pilot & throwout bearing, and also had the flywheel resurfaced. Is it possible one of these failed, or the adjustment for the clutch shifted?

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Very odd with the new clutch having been done.

Are you sure it is going into gear? There is one bolt in the transmission that holds the shift shift in place,if it loosened it may not be actuation the shifters forks and the gears.

Maybe the crankshaft failed and oiled the clutch plate? You would need a big oil leak though, and you would have it dripping out the clutch bell housing.

The most likely culprit would seem to be the clutch slave internally leaking and not giving full travel.

5. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    I was thinking the slave cylinder might be the reason as well. There are no oil leaks, and I do have some motion of the clutch lever. I can also see a thin coat of oil on the rubber bellows on the lower part of the slave cylinder. Is there a way to measure or confirm if the slave is bad? I know it is original to the car and at 35 yrs old with the last 10 years just sitting it could be possible to have that as the failure....

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If the bellows is wet, the slave is leaking. This has been a common problem for me. I've replaced at least 3 slave cylinders over the years. You can replace the entire unit, or just the seal.

You can see the slave operation clearly if you remove the right rear wheel well panel. Have someone else push the clutch pedal, and see if the slave moves the lever on the clutch housing.

But with the symptoms you're having, I think it's some fault in the transmission, not the clutch.

7. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    I have seen the slave moving the lever on the clutch housing, but not sure how to tell if it's moving enough or not to work the clutch fully.

If it's a failure in the transmission I assume you are referring to within the gearbox itself. Is there a way to confirm if the problem is definitely within that or do I need to replace the slave or slave seal first?

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The symptoms of a faulty slave would be you start the car, you push the clutch pedal all the way in, and the car won't go into gear. It just makes a grinding noise when you try to go into gear. If the car is going into gear okay with the motor running, I would think the clutch components are all working.

Transmission = gearbox.

Was the power unit removed completely during the rebuild ? When you put everything back together, the gear lever adjustment is critical.

9. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    When I push the pedal it feels like it is going into gear, and as I start to let the clutch out it sounds like the pressure plate is trying to press onto the flywheel but doesn't complete all the way - this is in any gear including reverse. When I move it to neutral and release the clutch I dont hear that sound, and the wheels move freely, allowing me to push the car around. I don't hear any grinding noises at all, just the faint sound like a rubbing....if that makes sense.

The motor assembly (including transmission) was removed as a complete unit, the entire back assembly including rear axles was dropped, cylinder heads removed. The lower transmission was never removed from the main engine block (see photos). I had a Ferrari expert set the gear lever adjustments and it worked perfect for the last 2 weeks until if failed. I was in 2nd gear at low rpm, went to shift down to 1st, and then released the clutch as in normal driving. As I pressed on the accelerator I heard the engine revving but no forward motion.... Since it was a sudden failure I'm looking around to find a broken mechanical linkage or hose but so far no luck....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Okay try this. Should have thought of this earlier. Put the car in 5th gear. Shut the motor off, level ground, E-brake off. Then try to push the car by hand. Is there resistance ? Are you turning the motor ? If there is resistance, have someone get in and push the clutch pedal in. Then try and push the car by hand. This should indicate if the clutch is working properly or not.

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Let Carl at Blackhorse Motors pick up your car and they will sort it out for free !

12. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    Follow up on Spicedriver's suggestion - I put the car in 5th gear and tried to push by hand. There was a lot of resistance but I could get some small forward motion while it was making the same rubbing sound I heard earlier when I tried to engage the clutch with the motor running. With it in 5th gear I could also get a little motion pushing it backward as well, but with much more resistance than forward. When I had someone push the clutch pedal in there was no more resistance, no noise, and I could push the car much easier both forward and back.

It does tell me that the clutch is working, but is it working well enough? Do I have it not going enough distance, or is there some item that broke or adjustment that suddenly slipped that would cause me to not get full gear engagement?

I appreciate the suggestion to have Carl do it, and if I am unable to fix it myself that may be the only option, but I don't expect him to do it for free......but I know he is always very fair. I have the car over an accessible work pit, almost like having a lift at home, so I want to see if it's something fairly simple first that I can do before putting it on a flatbed for a 100 mile tow to Carl.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It sounds like the clutch is disengaging properly. So your slave cylinder is probably okay. But it sounds like the clutch plate is not engaging the flywheel for some reason. I think the rubbing noise is the clutch plate rubbing on the flywheel. The clutch plate should be pressed firmly against the flywheel so it doesn't slip. So there is probably something wrong inside the bell housing. The release bearing is not releasing the pressure plate completely. Or the clutch plate is not moving axially on the input shaft (stuck), or somehow became damaged. Or perhaps the dimensions of the new clutch were not correct. I don't think it's oil on the flywheel/clutch plate, because that would just burn off right away.

You can inspect the release bearing operation by removing the cover (2) in the diagram.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    At this point, there is no point in guessing what is wrong. Open up the bell housing to confirm what is wrong and fix it. The problem is inside there.

15. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Agreed.

16. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Let me first say your Mondi is beautiful, love the black and red. As others have diagnosed, I also don't think this is a slave cylinder. When mine went the clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't return. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/mondial-8-clutch-slave-cylinder-repair.616135/ I suppose maybe it is possible that the fluid is low or leaked just enough to cause the clutch to feel right, but I think if it wasn't going into gear, you would know it. It was pretty clear I wasn't putting it into gear. I hope you resolve this quickly, interested to find out what it is. Good luck.

17. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    Hi, I wanted to give a quick update on this. I did replace the clutch slave cylinder with a brand new unit, and the old one was pretty rough and did confirm some leaking from it. Good news is that I have a brand new clutch master and slave cylinder - bad news is that it did not fix my problem. I still have all the same symptoms and still have not been able to drive the car since last September. I am trying to look for any other ideas other than tearing the whole transmission apart....any other suggestions?

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Pete,

Did you open up the bell housing to see what is going with the clutch internal?
    If the slave cylinder is moving the prescribed amount of distance when you are pressing on the clutch pedal, then the problem is inside the bell housing.

19. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    I opened the cover (item 2) in the diagram above and to me it looked like things were moving normal. I wanted to confirm if there was anything else I should check before taking the bell housing off as I know how involved that was when I reassembled it before. I know how involved it is and the chance for messing anything else up so just being cautious....

20. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Call Dave Helms (SRI, Erie Colorado). Tell whoever answers the phone the simple, concise (1) summary of what is happening, (2) the problem is 1.5 years old, (3) you are exhausted and (4) the Mondial is languishing.

Worth a try. He is busy.

The fix might be simple. Fingers crossed.
    SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    [OK. Revise. Problem Is 9 months old.]

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Look, the problem is simple but it is inside the bell housing. If you are afraid of opening it, then take it to a pro. That is also very simple.

23. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    I wasn’t clear: I’m only suggesting a phone call in hope that Mr. Helms can hear the situation and provide advice or an approach which resolves the situation. My comment was incomplete.

24. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    Thanks for the help and I will give him a call tomorrow. I can open up the bell housing if needed but wanted to confirm that I wasnt overlooking a potentially simple fix before tearing it apart. Thanks!

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If it has the dimensions and stroke above, then the clutch actuation is correct. Whatever that is not working is inside the box.