Clutch overheat on FF | FerrariChat

Clutch overheat on FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by j09333, Sep 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Keep getting message 'clutch overheated'.
    Situation is like this.
    At first, it was like once a week thing.
    I thought of it as a glitch.
    When asked service, they found no faulty error in system so they said keep driving it until anything happens.
    I did and it is getting worse.
    I get this message several times in one drive now.
    Gear shift is normal and nothing goes wrong but just this 'clutch overheated' warning.
    It comes on usually when I woke up the car for the first time of the day and rather driving slowly and during which time, warning comes on even when I put down my brake in complete stop.
    Funny thing is if I drive hard, warning never comes on....

Any idea please?

2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    if the service doesnt find anything, it might be just a wrong message

your car is under warranty, so I'd say keep driving til u see smoke out of the engine compartment.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Another sensor failure or software glitch. Drive on until it becomes consistent and service can deal with it.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, has to be a sensor failure and a trip to the dealer should work.

5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Dealer reset it and changed every fluid on the car since it is 20k kms. Warning still comes on and it is annoying as it is. Only in comfort mode and when on other modes no warning. Will visit dealer again.

6. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Oh and by the way I asked service to do the valve thing and you know what? I should have done it 20k kms ago.....

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    good luck! I assume that the temp sensor is internal in the clutches and would require a trannie change. But when you say it is ONLY in the Comfort mode that is very strange. Keep us informed as to what fixes it.

8. Corvus

Corvus Rookie

May 10, 2007
    Put it in ESC off. It won't happen again.

(BTW; you should only drive it in ESC off, unless you are a girl.)

AshAP likes this.
  9. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Car is in the shop again. Will post what happens later but whole clutch change will fix this for sure but ferrari wont allow itI guess.

10. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    in B4 "Hi guys I'm in the market for another FF. don't ask."

gsholz and 350MH83 like this.
  11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I won't ask ... but tell us anyway :)

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    That is exactly what Clarkson does, always drives with the computers off and it is why he is always going backward. When it is your car never turn the ESC off unless you are in a very large open parking lot and then only if someone else owns the car.

350MH83 likes this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Fixed. It has something to do with air pump that moves clutch. Level 2 type work. Level 3 means gear unit change and it was 2 so took couple of days and hard work for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Interesting. Sounds like it was a unit-out or near unit-out service. Took

15. SRRY4RE

SRRY4RE Rookie

Sep 15, 2014
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    When you say "the valve thing" are you referring to the exhaust vacuum valve override to keep them open all the time? Could you elaborate on the process or what the dealer did (how long it took, how involved the process was, cost?). I was considering doing this or installing the capristo remote valve.

Thanks again.

16. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    your time here will be short

Albert-LP and kenwidmerpool like this.
  17. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    SRRY4RE
    Think now you have an answer for this. I have tried once myself and backed off for not knowing what I was doing. Loosened couple of bolts on undertray and it didnt get loosened and also took the wheel off if I can get access to valves and failed. So I simply turned to service. They did the job within one day and since my car was in for clutch problem they didnt charge

18. SRRY4RE

SRRY4RE Rookie

Sep 15, 2014
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yes, I found the answer on another thread and it seems pretty straightforward. But I understand your failed attempt, sometimes you start thinking, why am I doing this? I know I'm just gonna screw something up. Been there many times. BTW, how do you like having the valves always open?

19. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    With valve opened, it gives more direct connection of sounds and rpm. Since FF has so much insulation it is not so much louder than expected but it will give you bubbling? sound when you lift off. Some might say you will lose torque but not so much to be noticed because the meat is in high rpm above 4000. Do it at all cost. You don't need switch to on off. You need to open it all time lol

20. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The FF has a huge amount of sound insulation. When my installer was putting on the Excel clear film, he needed to take off panels to get access to hardware. This exposed the sound insulation. He said that it had even more than the Bentleys they have seen. As a result the sounds are muted inside the cabin though quite raucous to the observer. This evidently reflects Ferrari's intended/expected use of the vehicle.

Because our use of the FF involves long distance driving trips, I did not opt for valves open all the time. I did install a Novitec exhaust with valves so that it is still reasonably quiet with valves closed for cruising in Comfort mode. But switch to Sport or come down a little on the throttle and ... OMG!

21. SRRY4RE

SRRY4RE Rookie

Sep 15, 2014
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks again guys for the info and suggestions, it's a big help for decision making.

22. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Looked this up on Google and found this thread.

Just had this happen after running the car hard this morning. It did happen in Comfort mode as soon as I switched into it from Sport. Will monitor it closely to see if it happens again. First time in 3k miles I've had it for.

23. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I was suprised to find my own thread today :)
    Good luck and hope it will be nothing serious like mine.

24. specialkcu

specialkcu Rookie

Jun 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Keith A
    Sporadic clutch overheat today after just starting the car. If anybody has any additional information on the issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

25. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had it too. No adverse functional impact but it did get worse over time and eventually required a tear down of the DCT to repair. Under warranty.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk