Closest independent Ferrari service near Hartford or Springfield MA | FerrariChat

Closest independent Ferrari service near Hartford or Springfield MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by newwurldmn, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    I recently bought my first Ferrari: a 360 6-speed that hadn’t even arrived that. I was wondering who local to Hartford or Springfield can service it. Ferrari or Norwood is pretty far.

2. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    We've taken our Silver Seraph to JE Robison service in Springfield. He's an odd duck but he has the best mechanics out there, especially for British stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 360 there.

3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks. I have taken my 1984 911 to him. He’s good at restoring but I don’t know if a newer Ferrari needs to be serviced by a factory trained mechanic.

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Depends who the tech is honestly.

5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    How do i determine if a tech is good?

I’m going to talk to a ct guy today - local Porsche people will know who he is.

6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Reputation, my point was just because they're "factory" trained vs no factory training, isn't worth much if that techs reputation sucks...

I feel it's not the distance that matters, but the level of security you get from having your car in the right hands. Some east coasters will send their vintage Ferrari's all the way to Patrick in Berkeley, simply because his rep is amazing. For a 360, IFS would work well, even if it's 1.5hrs away.

7. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    Don't make location a priority. If your concern is convenience, many places that service Ferrari's have a pick up service. I use IFS. I like delivering the car. It's a nice ride.

AVFPolo likes this.
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    What is IFS? Where are they located?

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    It looks like they are a mechanic in south Easton. I’m looking them up now.

10. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    My car is at IFS now. John is GREAT. I live in the Farmington Valley, and yes, IFS is a bit far. But...I have never been unhappy with their service. Very thorough, not cheap, not expensive, but always correct. Message me for details. Maybe we could share rides.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Did you ever look at musante? When I dropped my 911 there, he had a Lamborghini and had just finished with a 430.

12. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    My experience has been that my 308 QV and now my 360 perform best when serviced by a “Ferrari guy”. A few times I went to a more local “exotic guy” that does Lambos and Porsches and stuff, but never was completely happy. The F-cars just have their own quirks, and my experience has been that shops that aren’t REALLY, REALLY familiar with your model of Ferrari may not do preemptive service on those quirky items, or may not know those weird, Ferrari-specific engineering quirks.

For example, my 308 once had cracked rubber boot covering the axle/spline/CV joint. I thought about doing it myself and read some posts here, but decided to take it to nearby “Italian” shop (that had some older/newer Alfas and Fiats on the lot and a 308 in the garage covered with about 10 years of dust and debris). They performed the work, and it seemed ok. But....when I brought the car to IFS a year later for a more major service, John recommended doing some work on the axles/CV joints. It seems that there is a certain way to reassemble the bearings and also a washer with a slight cup that needs to be replaced in the correct orientation (or something like that...happened long ago). It wasn’t done correctly by the first shop and needed to be rebuilt...again.

So....maybe it’s just me, but I feel comfortable sticking with a guy that makes his living on servicing my model of car (which means that you may have to travel a bit farther). Acuras and Mercedes and probably Porsches can be serviced “out of the manual”, but not Ferraris. Too many quirks. If there weren’t so many unique quirks, FerrariChat wouldn’t be filled with posts like this.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #13 BJK, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  14. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    That makes sense. How do their rates compare for Ferrari of Norwood?

15. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    No idea, but much less than Miller Motorcars in Greenwich....usually. Sometimes certain jobs/parts are just about the same everywhere since the part may be available from only one source at one price.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app