CLK GTR racecar | FerrariChat

CLK GTR racecar

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BGF1LMS, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BGF1LMS

BGF1LMS Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Simi Valley and Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    Brennan
    How many racecars were made? 26 street cars, but how many racecars?

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Interesting. I updated the wikipedia page for the CLK-GTR to include that information and looks like since 2018 someone felt the need to delete/edit it along with other information. Last time I contribute to that page.

7 known ones to answer your question. 35 total cars. 2 prototypes, 20 road coupes, 6 road roadsters, 7 race variants.

Edit: #0006 is in private hands as you know and #0005 is/was in private hands in Brazil. I think the rest are with Mercedes.

BGF1LMS and F140C like this.
  3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I believe the car that was owned by a since deceased Brazilian businessman is no longer here. I'll look into it.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yep that's the one! No idea where it left to. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes bought it back. I think they bought back one of the 2 privately owned CLK-LM racecars. One was in Japan for sale at Light Auto with old photo inventory here. I think that one now is back with Mercedes and this photo from 2014 of it in Stuttgart here.

The other #35 car with yellow side mirrors is in private hands in the UK. Formerly with these guys: https://www.classicsportleicht.com/en/Cars/Sold/1998-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-LM-FIA-GT1-World-Champion-car/4

NürScud likes this.
  6. BGF1LMS

BGF1LMS Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Simi Valley and Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    Brennan
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That red mirror #35 does look to have been acquired by the Mercedes Museum by 2014, but looks like based on this article they put it up for sale in 2015 and I found another that said it has sold so it should be back in private hands.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1029084_mercedes-benz-museum-starts-selling-off-some-classics-video

I found an email from 2018 when I contacted MB to see how many they had and which types and they said they had a "few" CLK LM and GTR racecars, but do not let people know how many and which type unless they are on public display. He said only 1 was on display at that time (a CLK GTR race car, the winning 1998 car per him).

8. 103497

103497 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    SoCal
    I saw CLK GTR SN #05 (aka the Brazil/Diniz car) being tested at a private track day in NorCal several months ago, it sounded fantastic.

Currently in a private collection in the Bay Area.

9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    anyone here driven one? I drove a clk-dtm which was incredible, what feels like many years ago